• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking substitutions

sabg

I am looking to sub cocnut oil for vegetable in a cake, would it be the same measurement ? And also to sub applesauce for eggs ..some told me 1 cup of applesauce for each egg, that seemed like a lot to me ....can you help me out ? Thanks much

The coconut oil should be fine as a 1-1 substitution.

The applesauce for egg sub of 3 tablespoons should be good, that's pretty much the volume of an egg. This sub relies on pectin to work. NWsFirst points out, you won't get any leavening here. You also won't get as much binding power, that's why the popular vegan books all push cupcakes over whole cakes, an 8" round simply does not have the structural integrity of an egg bound cake.

I personally prefer using flax seed puree over applesauce, it binds more firmly. I have had a lot of bad luck with applesauce.

• Like 1