• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joule Sous Vide from ChefSteps

FauxPas

I purchased several Cambros of different sizes and shapes back when I bought my Anova One so rarely ever need a pot. The times I don't use a Cambro I have clipped my Anova PC to the sink divider and used the small side of our kitchen sink for things like defrosting.  

For me the PC being smaller, lighter and with the cord attached allows me to wrap it up and store it in a base cabinet.  My hot tap is ~ 130f so it doesn't take long to get to most set temps fast with the PC.  After that it really doesn't take much wattage to maintain temp 

And while  I don't have a need to consider the Joule, I'm glad we are seeing more options in ICs.  

• Like 1

How is everyone finding the smartphone only control scheme? For me, SV is so simple, I've been very happy with the Anova thumbwheel and I've never used the app. I feel like physical controls are always superior to virtual controls when it comes to SV.

• Like 5

PS: I am a guy.

32 minutes ago, Shalmanese said:

How is everyone finding the smartphone only control scheme? For me, SV is so simple, I've been very happy with the Anova thumbwheel and I've never used the app. I feel like physical controls are always superior to virtual controls when it comes to SV.

Thank you! It might just be because I am only used to an interface that exists on the tool itself. Otherwise, it forces the user to have to buy other equipment(which I don't think is a good example of design). It is kind of like when Apple products first came out. They only worked with other apple products...so you had to buy more of their products...I just don't like the idea.

Of course, that is why I have never bought a Joule....

• Like 1

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

4 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

While I agree, the timer feature is easier to set on the phone.  

I also use the thumbwheel on the Anova  95% of the time; however, I am willing to give that up to have a waterproof unit - not to mention the compact size.  It takes less than a minute to start it with the app and you can stop it by pressing the top button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rustwood said:

I am willing to give that up to have a waterproof unit - not to mention the compact size. 

Exactly!!!

And, similarly, who misses TVs without remotes? xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 11/27/2016 at 0:34 PM, btbyrd said:

I think my favorite thing is that you can use it in basically no water. It's feasible to use it in pretty much any pot or container, however small. This not only saves water but also heats up faster so you're ready to cook in a shorter amount of time.

I completely agree.  Last night I was running very late so I tossed a small package of brisket in the pot, just covered it with water and started up Joule.  It came up to temp and got it warmed up in record time.  Very convenient.

So there are very few advantages to living in southern Ontario in the winter time.   And the older one gets those few advantages become even fewer. But there is a bright side to all this. If you happen to live nearer to the north pole then Santa may sometimes make a lightning visit just to escape the clutches of Mrs. Claus iand those devilish elves. And so he did today

image.jpeg

Took me a couple of attempts to upgrade the firmware but then the rest was a breeze. I think I am going to enjoy this one. Going to let it run a few hours just to make sure all is well. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

over on their forums someone has posted a photo of a translucent prototype,,, looks even better than the iPod white.

there seems to be room for them to add a temperature display too in the housing of the see through model! 

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

Most Excellent !

looking forward to your assessment 

taking this North  might leave a little room for At Least a bottle of Wine

being so compact.

I think the name Joule is so appropriate!  I think "jewel" when I look at it which I am sure was intended.  When the temperature is well below zero and the snow is piling up July seems as if it is centuries away. But I admit that I am glad I am not on Manitoulin at this time of year.xD

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So far the Joule has held a steady 55°C (Checked with 2 thermometers) for 4+ hours. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think the name Joule is so appropriate!  I think "jewel" when I look at it which I am sure was intended.  When the temperature is well below zero and the snow is piling up July seems as if it is centuries away. But I admit that I am glad I am not on Manitoulin at this time of year.xD

Odd, I would have thought Manitoulin would be moderated by the surrounding water, much like PEI?

When I think of Joule, I think of the Joule Thomson effect and burning my hands making methode rotuts.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

So far the Joule has held a steady 55°C (Checked with 2 thermometers) for 4+ hours. 

Aye, but how does it work for Fahrenheit??

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Aye, but how does it work for Fahrenheit??

Antiquatedly. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

So my new Joule ran overnight with just water in the pot and passed to my satisfaction.  It is very, very quiet. I am so happy not to fuss about with clips but just stand it in the pot trusting the magnet to keep it stable.   I have now entrusted it with two precious, imported* chuck eyes. I think this cut has pushed its way up and is now my favourite cut of beef. I would never, never turn my nose up at a ribeye but for flavour and tenderness, at a price which is much more acceptable, it is hard to beat a sv'd chuck eye.  24 hours at 56C  works for me. And for somebody who is as math challenged as I am the app tells me when that 24 hours will be up. Yeah yeah I know I'm a baby.

* these found their way back from Buffalo courtesy of @Kerry Beal

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have the "Big Clamp"?

This is one of the reviews on Amazon:

"$24 for a plastic clamp? I love my Joule but this is a huge ripoff for an accessory that should be included with the purchase."

Ugh! :S

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I have one. It's nice. I don't know if it's "$24 nice," but it's essential if you're going to cook in a large vessel like the "classic" industry standard Cambro that everyone uses with Polyscience units. I'd agree with the Amazon review in that Big Clamp does sort of feel like an accessory that should just come with the circulator when you buy it.

The Big Clamp was always a planned feature, as the "interchangeable clips" system was one of Joule's selling points. But the rollout of Big Clamp had some missteps. They must have run into some problems getting it produced because it took (what felt like) forever for it to finally come to market. They first teased the prototype of the clamp in their "Game of Thrones feast" YouTube video, where they use Joule to cook a suckling pig in a Yeti cooler. (I prefer Pelican coolers, but whatever.) That video came out months before Joule even shipped, so I had the expectation that the clip would be available pretty much when Joule was available. Nope.

The nice thing about Joule as it comes from the factory is that you can cook in small vessels and not have to use a big old hot tub like you did with the old circulators. The downside was that there is no good way to use Joule with the kinds of containers traditionally used to cook sous vide (biggish Cambros and Lexans), much less large coolers for your sous vide suckling pig needs. I had my Joule for six months before the Big Clamp finally made it to market, and the lack of Big Clamp drove me nuts. My ultimate workaround was to take a can of beans, remove the paper label, stick Joule to the can with the magnet, and then use that as an anchor in the Cambro. I was pretty pissed off about the situation. When The Big Clamp became available, I placed my order literally within seconds of the announcement. I think they sold out the first batch in record time, if memory serves. Probably because everyone had been waiting half a year to use their Joule in a big Cambro without having a freaking can of beans stuck to it.

Anyway, you asked about Big Clamp, not The Rollout of Big Clamp. And the good news about the actual clamp is that it has a high build quality and the sort of excellent design you'd expect from the people who brought us Joule. Using the clamp with large containers is super easy -- it's easily the best "circulator attachment device" I've seen. It's light years beyond the agonizing "screw it on" clamps found on many popular brands. It does make Joule take up more space in a drawer if you leave the clamp on all the time, but it's so easy to swap them in and out that this is almost a non-concern. I paid $19 for it, and would gladly do so again. I might even pay $24. In part, that's because the clip is well constructed. In part, it's because the alternative is a can of beans.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 4

On 2/14/2019 at 10:27 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Does anyone have the "Big Clamp"?

This is one of the reviews on Amazon:

"$24 for a plastic clamp? I love my Joule but this is a huge ripoff for an accessory that should be included with the purchase."

Ugh! :S

Just trying for the lowest possible list price, I'd bet.

Like airlines charging for bags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I have one. It's nice. I don't know if it's "$24 nice," but it's essential if you're going to cook in a large vessel like the "classic" industry standard Cambro that everyone uses with Polyscience units. I'd agree with the Amazon review in that Big Clamp does sort of feel like an accessory that should just come with the circulator when you buy it.

The Big Clamp was always a planned feature, as the "interchangeable clips" system was one of Joule's selling points. But the rollout of Big Clamp had some missteps. They must have run into some problems getting it produced because it took (what felt like) forever for it to finally come to market. They first teased the prototype of the clamp in their "Game of Thrones feast" YouTube video, where they use Joule to cook a suckling pig in a Yeti cooler. (I prefer Pelican coolers, but whatever.) That video came out months before Joule even shipped, so I had the expectation that the clip would be available pretty much when Joule was available. Nope.

The nice thing about Joule as it comes from the factory is that you can cook in small vessels and not have to use a big old hot tub like you did with the old circulators. The downside was that there is no good way to use Joule with the kinds of containers traditionally used to cook sous vide (biggish Cambros and Lexans), much less large coolers for your sous vide suckling pig needs. I had my Joule for six months before the Big Clamp finally made it to market, and the lack of Big Clamp drove me nuts. My ultimate workaround was to take a can of beans, remove the paper label, stick Joule to the can with the magnet, and then use that as an anchor in the Cambro. I was pretty pissed off about the situation. When The Big Clamp became available, I placed my order literally within seconds of the announcement. I think they sold out the first batch in record time, if memory serves. Probably because everyone had been waiting half a year to use their Joule in a big Cambro without having a freaking can of beans stuck to it.

Anyway, you asked about Big Clamp, not The Rollout of Big Clamp. And the good news about the actual clamp is that it has a high build quality and the sort of excellent design you'd expect from the people who brought us Joule. Using the clamp with large containers is super easy -- it's easily the best "circulator attachment device" I've seen. It's light years beyond the agonizing "screw it on" clamps found on many popular brands. It does make Joule take up more space in a drawer if you leave the clamp on all the time, but it's so easy to swap them in and out that this is almost a non-concern. I paid $19 for it, and would gladly do so again. I might even pay $24. In part, that's because the clip is well constructed. In part, it's because the alternative is a can of beans.

Yeah, I find myself using the 3 Anovas much more because I don't have the big clamp.

I found a relatively easy way to get the Joule to fit the Carlisle 1061207 StorPlus 18" x 12" x 9" Clear Food Storage Box, similar to the Cambros.

I heated a 5/8" steel rod with a torch, pressed it against the outer edge of the container narrowing the edge so the standard Joule clip is usable on it.

It's a very versatile container, I especially like that 1/2 size steam-table/hotel/gastronorm pans (4 inch and 6 inch deep) sit in it nicely for cheese-making, etc.

• Like 1

I'm an amateur machinist, I could easily convert one of these clamps with a 3" opening to a Joule clamp in all of about 10 minutes.

Would only need the addition of a short piece of aluminum box tube.

I've seen the clamp for less than $10.00 locally.