• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pate de campagne

kayb

I have a question about pate de campagne, as I am about to attempt my first one. It appears this makes a pretty sizeable loaf.

1. How long will it keep, refrigerated?

2. On the assumption I won't be able to use it all before that time, can I vacuum seal, say, half of it, and freeze it?

Using the recipe from Epicurious, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The pate de campagne recipe I use makes 2 loaves. Since I usually make it for a party there has never been enough left of loaf #1 to figure out how long it keeps refrigerated. :smile:  But It does freeze very well. I do not have a vacuum sealer - I just triple wrap it. I have no idea where my recipe came from - it is written on a much stained piece of graph paper and I have had it for at least 30 years.(I know it pre-dates my daughter.) Besides pork, veal and pork fat, it includes mushrooms, pistachios and prosciutto. I think it is very good but I have limited comparison data. I should be working on that.  :rolleyes:

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I make pâté de campagne regularly. I make a loaf, slice it, and freeze individual slices that I defrost for cocktail parties. It freezes very well (I just use saran wrap). I like Anthony Bourdain's recipe from Les Halles. Refrigerated I would not keep it for more than a week.

Hi  Kayb, 

The can last a week in the fridge with no doubt. As said Eilanaa , you can vacuum pack  the slices as well . When frozen i find  that the pate is quite dry .

In French countryside , they usually use "saindoux"(pig fat) to allow a two to three weeks conservation in the fridge.

When your pate is ready and cooled down, put it in a larger recipient and fill with melted pig fat over the pate. 

Don't be afraid , you won't eat all that fat :shock:  but the pate will be protected by the fat layer and last longer. Then , when , it's cold and tough, you can vacuum pack the whole pate + recipient (need large bags) . This way , you can keep it  a month  for sure..

In order to eat, open bag, remove the fat "crust" and eat  as usual. The pate will remain juicy ans very tasty. The old French farmer always kept the pate  3 or 4 days before eating eat it , the flavors need at least 48 hours to infuse correctly..

• Like 4

Executive chef & cooking teacher:   http://so-easycooking.blogspot.com/

• 2 months later...

While researching the use of bacon to line terrines (which I dislike personally), I came across this interesting article about pâté de campagne/ country pâté that review various techniques and recipes... I have made the Bourdain recipe and while it is good, I think it can be improved.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Typo/wording (log)
  • Like 1

FP  : nice ref.   thanks.

BTW   I went through a Pate Period where I made my own.   this was after a 3 wk visit to France in the mid '80's

at that time I also picked up over a doz. various 3.5 mm copper pots from 

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/

nickel lined  not tinned

I used thin bacon to line the  moulds as that was the easiest 'fat' to obtain.  I par boiled the strips to loose the smokiness 

and make them taste less like bacon, more like Pig.

this worked for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1