• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

typo

Third up is the Nourishment, on paper a weird mix of tequila, dry vermouth, violet and citrus. It felt like the right thing though. I have a gorgeous bottle of Ocho plata that is super aromatic, and I was in the mood for a sour, for a change.

The drink is described as a Corpse Reviver No. 2 relative (it is in its structure, for sure) but its taste is actually more reminiscent of an Aviation to me. I've had tequila-based Aviations in the past (where you just substitute tequila for the gin) and they are not that great. But here the dry vermouth closes the gap between the tequila and the violet; it was very harmonious and even the absinthe blended in instead of standing out like a sore thumb.

There is some commonality with a very nice drink from PDT which also scuccessfully pairs violet and Tequila, the Aguila Azteca.

Nourishment with 2014 Ocho blanco tequila, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, lime, lemon, R&W violette liqueur, St. George absinthe.

22837861697_f66de75b38_z.jpg

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Third up is the Nourishment, on paper a weird mix of tequila, dry vermouth violet and citrus. It felt like the right thing though. I have a gorgeous bottle of Ocho plata that is super aromatic, and I was in the mood for a sour, for a change.

The drink is described as a Corpse Reviver No. 2 relative (it is in its structure, for sure) but its taste is actually more reminiscent of an Aviation to me. I've had tequila-based Aviations in the past (where you just substitute tequila for the gin) and they are not that great. But here the dry vermouth closes the gap between the tequila and the violet; it was very harmonious and even the absinthe blended in instead of standing out like a sore thumb.

There is some commonality with a very nice drink from PDT which also scuccessfully pairs violet and Tequila, the Aguila Azteca.

Nourishment with 2014 Ocho blanco tequila, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, lime, lemon, R&W violette liqueur, St. George absinthe.

22837861697_f66de75b38_z.jpg