• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

The idea of eating a face is a bit disconcerting but so far, the pictures look more like a shoe or a purse than a living face. Doesn't make it more appetizing, but not so disturbing.

I do look forward to learning about its preparation and consumption in future posts.

Are you suggesting that he forgo eating the ear and make a silk purse out of it instead?

• Like 4

Are you suggesting that he forgo eating the ear and make a silk purse out of it instead?

Oh no. During my few trips to China, silk purses were everywhere, pretty much a dime a dozen. But this? No, I did not see whole pig faces in every shop. This is much more interesting!

If you're not up to tackling a whole face, the supermarkets do offer facebits. You get to choose between more manageable portions of ears, snout, cheeks etc at varying prices.

facebits.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@liuzhou, I noticed that you posted a nice dinner using a special cured pork over in the dinner thread.  That made me wonder how your pig face is faring these days.  Anything new to report?

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same. I haven't touched her yet, but winter has truly arrived now, and it is Chinese New Year at the weekend (Feb 8th), so her time is coming. I will post whatever becomes of her.

• Like 6

I admit that it took me until now to be willing to even look at a thread called Pig Face. Being a big fan of the book "Childhood's End" I made the mistake of watching the recent television version, which was just dreadful. However, Cameron does bear a resemblance to Karellen. I don't know if I would eat her, but I am uncomfortably curious as to how she ends up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I admit that it took me until now to be willing to even look at a thread called Pig Face. Being a big fan of the book "Childhood's End" I made the mistake of watching the recent television version, which was just dreadful. However, Cameron does bear a resemblance to Karellen. I don't know if I would eat her, but I am uncomfortably curious as to how she ends up. 

Wow. That's a book I haven't thought about for a very long time.

Cameron no longer looks like she did.I butchered her for ease of storage. She is in bits in the freezer. Which reminds me to dig out some cheek for. maybe, tomorrow.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 2:56 AM, liuzhou said:

If you're not up to tackling a whole face, the supermarkets do offer facebits. You get to choose between more manageable portions of ears, snout, cheeks etc at varying prices.

facebits.jpg

What are those yummy looking little strings of sausages on the left  made of / typically used for??? and the belly below... and the duck? legs... so many good looking things here!!!

• Like 1

On 03/02/2016 at 11:17 AM, caroled said:

What are those yummy looking little strings of sausages on the left  made of / typically used for??? and the belly below... and the duck? legs... so many good looking things here!!!

The sausages are pork belly meat. They are typically used in hot pots or sliced and stir fried with vegetables. The are also often steamed on top of rice, thereby flavouring the rice. Again the steamed sausages are sliced and served with vegetables. The cured belly is cooked in the same way. Finally the duck legs (yes) are often braised then shredded. Often used in soups around here. Winter food.

It is always an interesting corner of the supermarket.

Edited by liuzhou typos (log)
  • Like 3

The unseasonably warm weather has gone and on Wednesday the temperatures dropped dramatically as the wind direction swung to the north. Well the wind is moving south, but coming from the frozen north. So I fancy soups. Hearty soups. Today, I've spent about eight hours making what is maybe the most complex stock I've undertaken in a very long time.

Chicken trimmings (heads, feet, wing tips etc), slightly meaty pork bones and bits of pig's face (The part outlined in the picture below - I call them her earlobes)  have been simmering away for hours with celery, onion and carrot. The whole apartment smells heavenly and I feel warmer already.

56e3bea4456d2_pighead6.thumb.jpg.5f02b8a

Here they are after giving up their goodness to the stock. They are skin side down, so you can see the layer of fat  underneath then a layer of meat. They will be discarded now.

IMG_7645.jpg.2f00e73192839039b07f46240cd

And finally, here is the reduced, cheesecloth strained stock ready for the fridge. To be used tomorrow. The yellow tinge is Cameron's doing. The stock smells rich and smoky. I'll be using it with beans and robust vegetables, I think. Will decide in the morning.

IMG_7655.jpg.d278bcc28b957fd42d2de2314ae

I also have one of her ears soaking overnight. This I was advised to do. Again, I will decide in the morning what to do next.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

Pig face project has had to be postponed due to some clot with a huge hydraulic drill having fractured the main water pipe leading to my apartment block. I had three days with no water, so decamped to the countryside without Cameron.

I'm back home now, but off again on a short trip tomorrow evening. Pig face will be dealt with at the weekend, all being well.

• Like 3

Poor Cameron, abandoned for three days, alone in a waterless apartment. I hope no one called the Pig Face Police to report you for negligence. But, on the other hand, though forced and not already planned I presume, I hope you had a lovely countryside sojourn! :) p.s. have a good trip.

• Like 1

I finally got around to doing something more constructive with Cameron. Life has been getting in the way.

I took one of her ears. The right one (from her point of view) if you are really interested.

pig's ear.jpg

pig's ear2.jpg

At this stage the ear is hard  and rubbery. Shoe leather. Not something you would ever consider to be edible other than in dire emergencies. After you had eaten all the other survivors of whatever disaster you had been through..

I simmered poor Cameron's ear for two hours in water with some star anise. Nothing else. Then let her rest and cool down. You'd want a rest too if you had been simmered for two hours.

Then I cut her into slivers, exposing the layers and skin and cartilage.

pig's ear3.jpg

I might enlarge and frame that picture!

Then I dry fried the slivers with ground cumin, Sichuan peppercorns and chilli flakes. Skin and cartilage never tasted better!

And ended up with this plate of beer food. Something to munch on while eGulleting and sampling the local brew. It's a public holiday here today. Qing Ming, the ancestor worship festival, aka Tomb Sweeping Festival. I am mourning Cameron and thanking her for her contribution to my mouth.

pig ear chews.jpg

The final product

• Like 15

I love your sense of humour, Liuzhou! I also love how you can see Cameron's dismembered beauty and honour it, treating her gently and with such reverence while converting her nether-parts into sustenance of the highest quality. And yes, I love that 'strip' photo too - very artistic!

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

I found Camerons relatives in the local market ...

WP_20160328_13_30_18_Pro.jpg

• Like 6

• Similar Content

• By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.
    • By DanM
      One of the surprises from our move to Switzerland is the availability of kosher charcuterie. Sausages of all types, confit, mousse, rietttes, etc... One of the recent finds is this block of smoked beef. It has a nice fat layer in the middle. Any thoughts on how to use it? Should I slice it thin and then fry?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    • By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and lead us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known  for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      Today is 元宵 yuán xiāo, the Lantern Festival marking the 15th day of the first lunar month and the last day of the Spring Festival (春节 chūn jié) which begins with the Chinese New Year on the 1st of the lunar month.

Today is the day for eating 汤圆 tāng yuán, sweet glutinous rice balls.

I was invited to take part in a celebration ceremony this morning in what is considered to be the city's most beautiful park. I half agree. It lies in the south of the city, surrounded by karst hill formations, but for me, the park itself is over-manicured. I like a bit of wild. That said, there are said to be around 700 species of wildlife, but most of that is on the inaccessible hills. There are pony rides for the kids and some of the locals are a bit on the wild side.

Park Entrance

Karst Hill

Although the park has beautiful flower displays and great trees, what I love most is the bamboo. Such a beautiful plant and so useful.

They had also hung the traditional red lanterns on some of the trees.

The main reason for us to be there was to be entertained by, at first, these three young men who bizarrely welcomed us with  a rendition of Auld Lang Syne played on their bamboo wind instruments - I forget what they are called. They are wearing the traditional dress of the local Zhuang ethnic minority.

Then some local school kids sang for us and did a short play in English. Clap, clap, clap.

Then on to the main event. We were asked to form groups around one of four tables looking like this.

Appetising, huh? What we have here at top is a dough made from glutinous rice flour. Then below black sesame paste and ground peanut paste. We are about to learn to make Tangyuan, glutinous rice balls. Basically you take a lump of dough, roll it into a ball, then flatten it, then form a cup shape. add some of each or either of the two pastes and reform the ball to enclose the filling. Simple! Maybe not.

Some of us were more successful than others

These are supposed to be white, but you can see the filling - not good; its like having egg showing all over the outside of your scotch eggs.

Modesty Shame prevents me telling you which were mine.

At least one person seemed to think bigger is better! No! They are meant to be about an inch in diameter. Sometimes size does matter!

Finally the balls we had made were taken away to be boiled in the park's on-site restaurant. What we were served were identically sized balls with no filling showing. They are served in this sweet ginger soup. The local pigs probably had ours for lunch.

The orange-ish and purplish looking ones are made in the same way, but using red and black glutinous rice instead.

Fun was had, which was the whole point.

• By liuzhou
      Today is 小年 (xiǎo nián) which literally means 'little [new] year', but is something more. It takes place approximately a week before Chinese New Year (February 16th this time round - Year of the Dog) and is the festival for the Kitchen God

In traditional animist Chinese thought, there is a god for everything and the kitchen god is responsible for all aspects of, you guessed, the kitchen. Once a year (today), the kitchen god pops back  to report to the god of heaven on the happenings of the last 12 months. Therefore we have to placate him so he makes a good report.  My neighbours are busy preparing offerings of sticky rice and assorted sugary confections for the god, so that when he eats them, his teeth and lips will stick together and he will be unable to report any bad behaviour. An alternative theory suggest the sugary stuff will sweeten his words. Then we'll be OK for another year!

This is  the fellow