• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mekelburg's

Steve R.

[HOST'S NOTE: This discussion has been split off from the Member News topic announcing the restaurant to focus on reviews and discussion of the new restaurant by Society Member BKEats.]

We're biased, as Mr & Ms "BKEats" are friends of ours but I gotta say that, after a half dozen or so visits to Mekelburg's, this place is a gem in many ways.  From the grocery store upfront, selling great stuff (including a full line of Rancho Gordo beans) to the "deli counter" with a great selection of cheese & meats, to the ever changing beer taps & wine selection, to the menu, to the outdoor space in back -- everything just clicks.  And the oysters are great.  If I wasn't so impressed, I'd remain dead silent.  Years of CH and other boards have taught me that.  Glad there's no need for that here.  Congrats - us older Brooklynites are proud of youse guys.

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hubbie and I had a 7 hour layover at Newark on the way back from Milano.  Hang around at EWR with our iPads or go visit longtime eGullet friend at his latest venture...no contest.  It was a journey to get there, buses and trains and a lot of walking... but it was well worth it.  Had to push through the crowds at security to avoid missing our midnight flight home...but that's another story.  

In a word: this place is awesome.  Everything I imagined and more.  There was a lady sampling truffle products...back from a week eating truffles in Italy and missing them already, I dove right in.  Daniel's first words:  you smell like truffles.  The deli is a delight, I would shop there every week if I lived in the neighborhood.  Everything from organic ice creams and chocolates to imported pastas to private label evoo, balasmico and the wonderful babka.  Brought home a chocolate babka for the kids - who were astounded it's a real thing, after seeing it on a Seinfeld episode the previous week!  We shopped, and we ate.  Boy did we eat.  The atmosphere is inviting and warm.  And early on  Sunday evening the place is bustling!

Forgive me for the not so great formatting... it's been years since I've posted and I'm rusty!

IMG_5101.jpg

Caviar Baked Potato - Incredible

IMG_5102.JPG

Gorgeous Salad

IMG_5107.JPG

Porchetta - Out of this world, crispy and moist at the same time             

IMG_5108.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Meatball Sandwich  - Just pick it up and eat it

IMG_5109.JPG

Sambal Butter Roasted Oysters - delicious and generous

IMG_5115.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On December 2, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Shaya said:

Hubbie and I had a 7 hour layover at Newark on the way back from Milano.  Hang around at EWR with our iPads or go visit longtime eGullet friend at his latest venture...no contest.  It was a journey to get there, buses and trains and a lot of walking... but it was well worth it.  Had to push through the crowds at security to avoid missing our midnight flight home...but that's another story.  

In a word: this place is awesome.  Everything I imagined and more.  There was a lady sampling truffle products...back from a week eating truffles in Italy and missing them already, I dove right in.  Daniel's first words:  you smell like truffles.  The deli is a delight, I would shop there every week if I lived in the neighborhood.  Everything from organic ice creams and chocolates to imported pastas to private label evoo, balasmico and the wonderful babka.  Brought home a chocolate babka for the kids - who were astounded it's a real thing, after seeing it on a Seinfeld episode the previous week!  We shopped, and we ate.  Boy did we eat.  The atmosphere is inviting and warm.  And early on  Sunday evening the place is bustling!

Forgive me for the not so great formatting... it's been years since I've posted and I'm rusty!

IMG_5101.jpg

Caviar Baked Potato - Incredible

IMG_5102.JPG

Gorgeous Salad

IMG_5107.JPG

Porchetta - Out of this world, crispy and moist at the same time             

IMG_5108.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Meatball Sandwich  - Just pick it up and eat it

IMG_5109.JPG

Sambal Butter Roasted Oysters - delicious and generous

IMG_5115.JPG

Shaya it was such a pleasure to finally meet you after all of these years.  It's like meeting a long last friend.  

Thank you so much for coming to see us,. It was so special!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

We just received a wonderful honor from Pete Wells of the NY TImes 

top ten ten restaurant dishes of 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/14/dining/best-dishes-in-nyc.html

Wow.

That's some fast company you are in. Very cool. And what a quick recognition for a joint that hasn't been there a year!

So did you know Wells had been in or was this out of the blue?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On December 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM, weinoo said:

The recognition/awards keep piling up for Mekelburg's - deserved so, based on some personal experience.

Yep, and the reviews are making me hungry.  Frankly, I think the oysters are not getting enough credit due to the damn potatoes.  And I'm waiting for the overdue equal recognition of the beer selection.  At any rate, I told Daniel that I'll be showing up at Meks this Sunday afternoon to watch football, eat and drink and that I'd be posting to see who wants to join.  I figure I'll get there around 1or so & hang out for several hours, since Ginny has somewhere else to be that afternoon.  See you there?  Happy New Year.

• Like 2

Hope to see any New Yorker egulleters.  In terms of finding duck, I went to Great New York Noodle town for a few ducks in order to try the dish we had in mind.  The dish is amazing I just need to discuss price and delivery now.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Hope to see any New Yorker egulleters.  In terms of finding duck, I went to Great New York Noodle town for a few ducks in order to try the dish we had in mind.  The dish is amazing I just need to discuss price and delivery now.  

Are you getting Peking Ducks or Cantonese Ducks?

Steve - Anaheim = Vietnamese food - a whole nother territory. I think the point huiray was sort of making earlier is that the big fat white ducks we know in the US are Pekin ducks -   breed versus,  Peking duck - the dish.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Steve - Anaheim = Vietnamese food - a whole nother territory. I think the point huiray was sort of making earlier is that the big fat white ducks we know in the US are Pekin ducks -   breed versus,  Peking duck - the dish.  

Sorry.  It was a (very) bad joke.  The Anaheim Ducks are a hockey team.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Here is our Breakfast sandwich:   We call it the Mek Muffin:

Eggs mixed with chives and marscapone, cooked in a mold in the oven. Brioche, egg loaf with cheddar, double smoked pork belly, avocado, arugula, sriracha.

sa.jpg

• Like 3

soft shell crab season just hit.. we just got in a shipment from North Carolina.. As the weather gets better it will travel up the coast.. they are expensive right now but, really tasty..  couldnt wait to put this back on the menu.. It has a disc of pancetta, crab,lettuce, mayo, sriracha, avocado, arugula. 

crab.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4