• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving cocktails

Craig E

With so many foods and flavors, I think sometimes it's hard to find a drink to bring harmony to it all. I'm gonna keep it simple and just break open the bottle of Laird's applejack I've been keeping at the back of my cabinet. (we just started getting cool weather last week here in AZ, so I am transitioning from icy-cold drinks to Fall fare)

• Like 1

Here's what I've planned:

APEROL GIN PUNCH

Gin, Aperol, Yellow Chartreuse, lime, grapefruit, orange, orange bitters, prosecco

Dark rum, Becherovka, lime, Tuaca

Scotch, lemon, St. Germain, Angostura bitters, ginger beer, lemon wheel, candied ginger

Frog, what do you use for the peach component of the Fish House Punch?
  • Like 2

Trying this now (Daron calvados + R&W orchard apricot) in a single-serve version and wow, it does taste peachy!  :smile:

Glad you approve. I am about to make something similar on a larger scale; I've just restocked on the Daron XO (at $35, it is pretty great for mixing). 

I like this Tom Macy punch: 

by Tom Macy, Clover Club, Brooklyn, NY.

1.5 l Brut Champagne (= 2 bottles)
2 c Pear eau de vie
2 c Rosemary syrup
6 oz Lemon juice
1/2 c Soda water

Combine the brandy, syrup, and lemon juice in a punch bowl over a large block of ice and stir in the Champagne and soda shortly before serving. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and grapefruit peels.

And for something single serve and a little more spirituous, I like:

1 oz Calvados
1 oz Aquavit
3/4 oz Amontillado
1/4 oz Cranberry liqueur
2 dash bitters
Lemon twist. 
  • Like 4

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 11 months later...

Like the Philadelphia Fish House Punch mentioned above last year, our Turkey Day 2016 cocktail menu will include something that would have actually been imbibed during the colonial-era time period. The Syllabub.

Any thoughts and what drinks will everyone else be serving to your guests on Thanksgiving this year?

• 11 months later...

What's everyone doing this year?  I keep it pretty simple - I just spice (usually cinnamon, cloves, ginger, orange & lemon peel) a batch of hot cider and put it out with bourbon (probably Old Grandad bonded) and rum (Appleton 12) options for those who wish to doctor their glasses.  Everyone always brings wine for the dinner table.  And I'll pick up some sherry or port to accompany dessert.  And this year I'll make them all my guinea pigs for the green walnut liqueur I made over the summer.

My MIL is hosting Thanksgiving this year.  I'm thinking of taking one of these: Sangria I or Sangria II.  Looks like you can make either one ahead of time (without the fizzy for the first one).  I'm leaning toward the 2nd because I can make a pitcher or two the night before and just set it out when we get there. 

10 hours ago, PassionateAmateur said:

What's everyone doing this year?  I keep it pretty simple - I just spice (usually cinnamon, cloves, ginger, orange & lemon peel) a batch of hot cider and put it out with bourbon (probably Old Grandad bonded) and rum (Appleton 12) options for those who wish to doctor their glasses.  Everyone always brings wine for the dinner table.  And I'll pick up some sherry or port to accompany dessert.  And this year I'll make them all my guinea pigs for the green walnut liqueur I made over the summer.

'Same as you, probably. We're not having dinner at home so the cider will be for in the evening. But it lets people do as much or little booze as they want, which works with our crowd.

One of these days I want to experiment with spiking a cranberry-cider blend.

Oh, alright. You boozeshamed me into making Fish House Punch for the first time. I'm thinking Obsler (apple+pear eau de vie) plus some Giffard apricot liqueur for the peach brandy? Or I have a little Blume Marillen apricot eau de vie, but it seems a touch spendy and subtle for the application. I'm out of Calvados (having never again seen Dupont since the bottle I snagged about 5 years ago), but I have the Laird formerly known as BIB. Daron XO is probably available.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

We've been using JDK & Sons' Peche liqueur for FHP. I admit to not knowing what peach brandy (or, for that matter, the original FHP) actually tastes like but this stuff makes a tasty addition. It's relatively high in proof (70 ABV) and has some funk, adding a mysterious note that, in context, isn't  recognizable as specifically peach.

DeKuyper is better known (on this side of the Atlantic, anyway) for high-sugar/low-proof novelties like the Pucker line and a variety of dubious "schnapps." Peche isn't like those.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.