• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

I made butter chicken the other day and while the pot was coming up to pressure, the message "Ovht" was displayed.  I checked the manual then checked to see if anything was sticking to the pot.  The sauce was sticking a bit so I loosened it and tried again.  It was set for 7 minutes, poultry.  Same message.  This time there was food stuck to the bottom,  although not badly.  Both times the pot shut off.  When I opened the lid the contents were happily burbling away.  Has anyone else gotten this same message?  I read that when making oatmeal in the IP milk dairy milk is not recommended as it can cause sticking.  Is the same true for coconut milk?  The coconut milk I used was "Real Thai" which has coconut extract of 85%, which is a lot higher than most. The dish was really good so I would want to make it again.  To avoid this happening again, should I use a coconut milk with a lower coconut extract %?  The recipe I used was "Pressure Cooker Butter Chicken" from the Pressure Cooker Convert site.  I tried to copy the link to it here but all I was ever able to copy was half of it.

Edited by ElsieD
tried to copy the link to the recipe and it did not work. (log)

I had trouble with the champ recipe from http://dadcooksdinner.com/2013/03/pressure-cooker-champ-irish-mashed-potatoes-with-green-onions.html/.

Other than not peeling the potatoes and using a mixture of skim milk and heavy cream instead of whole milk, I followed the recipe exactly. After 7 minutes a few of the potato slices were still quite firm. I tried another 3 min on high pressure which resulted in burning of the milk on the bottom of the pot. If I were going to try it again I would cube rather than slice the potatoes and start with 9 minutes. 

21 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I had trouble with the champ recipe from http://dadcooksdinner.com/2013/03/pressure-cooker-champ-irish-mashed-potatoes-with-green-onions.html/.

Other than not peeling the potatoes and using a mixture of skim milk and heavy cream instead of whole milk, I followed the recipe exactly. After 7 minutes a few of the potato slices were still quite firm. I tried another 3 min on high pressure which resulted in burning of the milk on the bottom of the pot. If I were going to try it again I would cube rather than slice the potatoes and start with 9 minutes. 

Did you get the same "ovht" message that I did?  I'm still hoping someone is able to shed some light on what caused my little problem.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Did you get the same "ovht" message that I did?  I'm still hoping someone is able to shed some light on what caused my little problem.

Not sure as to why, but the "ovht" means "overheat"

From the IP site:

Does Instant Pot burn food?

The short answer is No, not likely. Most Instant Pot cooking functions, (e.g. Soup, Congee, Rice, Meat, Poultry, Bean/Chili and Slow Cook) have temperature monitoring to avoid burning food.  This mechanism is called “burn-protection”. When a high temperature (140C or 284F) is detected at the bottom of the inner pot, the burn-protection mechanism suspends heating to avoid burning food. On Instant Pot IP-DUO series, a warning message “ovHt” is flashed on the display.

This “burn-protection” mechanism works very well, except if the food has very high starch content. For example, if you add flour in your chili recipe, the flour sinks to the bottom, solidifies at low temperatures and can block heat dissipation. In this particular case, we suggest you add flour to the chili after initial cooking and perhaps cooking it for another one to five to allow thickening of the chili.

Because the “Saute” function operates at a much higher temperature than other settings we do not recommend operating unattended, just like you wouldn’t leave a pan on the stove unattended.

You might contact IP directly as there may be a problem with yours, or perhaps there wasn't enough liquid.

p

Edited by palo (log)

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Did you get the same "ovht" message that I did?

I didn't notice that message.

2 hours ago, palo said:

You might contact IP directly as there may be a problem with yours, or perhaps there wasn't enough liquid.

I believe you are correct about this. I had already mashed those slices that were mashable so much of the liquid was unavailable. I'm really more concerned about a recipe that others praised not working for me, ie. my potatoes weren't completely cooked.

Had an IP fail last night.  I made crepes and I wanted rice to go with.  I've had a mix forever that I've never used.  It has white, brown, wild and red rice in it.  I did 8 mins with fast release.  Mush.  I got mush lol.

Finally got my IP from Amazon (warehouse deal) and so far, I've made vegetarian chili, turkey gumbo, poultry broth and pork shoulder.  I've used the high and low pressure settings and the slow cooker setting. It seems to work OK but I have a very difficult time getting the lid on.  I have to jiggle and wiggle it in order to turn it to the "locked" position.  Anyone else have this problem or do I have a defective unit that needs to be returned?  The unit otherwise appears to be in perfect condition with only a barely perceptible dent (about 1 mm) in the front.  I previously had a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker and I seem to remember having a similar problem with that, so maybe it's just the overall design?  I don't have this problem with my Fagor duo stovetop pressure cooker.

the lid need careful initial placement to work 'smoothly'

I doubt your lid is defective, but of course can't say

when I spent a few more seconds on its initial placement, it works smoothly

when I hurry it up, I do have to do a bit of jiggly-jiggly

practice a little when you're not Cookn'  and note where the lid lines up

no pressure then, eh ?

567c1b30ce0a0_surprised.gif.15eca776c5ff

Edited by rotuts (log)

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the lid need careful initial placement to work 'smoothly'

I doubt your lid is defective, but of course can't say

when I spent a few more seconds on its initial placement, it works smoothly

when I hurry it up, I do have to do a bit of jiggly-jiggly

practice a little when you're not Cookn'  and note where the lid lines up

no pressure then, eh ?

surprised.gif

Do you have any suggestions about how to perform the "initial placement"?  there appears to be an arrow on the pot that I guess I'm supposed to line up with the arrow on the lid, so that's what I've been trying to do but it still seems to want me to jiggle-wiggle it.  A small frustration but still annoying IMHO

I took a closer look at mine:

look in the back,  the 'tab' or extrusion where the pressure real ease is has to line up on the L side of the tab or extrusion on the bottom part:

this is the back part turned 45 degrees for the pic :

IP Back.jpg

here is the front at the same time :

IP Front.jpg

Ive mentioned in the past that both the top and the bottom 'markers' would be better seen in a contrasting color.

the two arrows and the rest of the info might be more helpfull in white

this pic is with a high powered Flash.   impossible to see in 'reasonable'kitchen light

that's why the back part is easier to see

My pot's surface needs some cleaning it seems

567c203d804d8_surprised.gif.02f780594705

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I took a closer look at mine:

look in the back,  the 'tab' or extrusion where the pressure real ease is has to line up on the L side of the tab or extrusion on the bottom part:

this is the back part turned 45 degrees for the pic :

IP Back.jpg

here is the front at the same time :

IP Front.jpg

Ive mentioned in the past that both the top and the bottom 'markers' would be better seen in a contrasting color.

the two arrows and the rest of the info might be more helpfull in white

this pic is with a high powered Flash.   impossible to see in 'reasonable'kitchen light

that's why the back part is easier to see

My pot's surface needs some cleaning it seems

surprised.gif

This is very helpful! Thank you.  I will try your technique & may also apply nail Polish,  as another poster suggested, to make the markings more visible. I honestly had not seen those before 

Edited by kbjesq
clarification (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

let us know if the NP does OK with the heat.

I think in time we will all find that "muscle memory" takes over and nail polish is no longer needed. I have had the same issue with other stovetop pressure cookers and ultimately my hands seem to learn the proper position. Sort of like riding a bike -- better not think about it and it goes much easier. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Was very surprised to receive this for Christmas this morning!

PC251018.JPG.a5f6a31fe6c0cc49b0ec5f0123f

I haven't opened it up yet, but just from reading the box it sounds very similar to the IP.  Glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy a second IP (yet).  

@blue_dolphinI, too, bought a second silicone ring.

My mom and step-dad should be opening their IP soon.  We'll see if they like it.  I wouldn't buy them another "gadget" if I didn't think they would.....but you never know.   The problem is going to be taking the time to learn how to use it.  Mom is so so busy with work and other obligations.  They live at a very high altitude (around 9,000 ft.) so I may have some questions related to that.  I need to make a list of all the great IP links so I can send them over.

Edited to add:  Turns out my husband thought he had ordered an IP.  LOL so he didn't mean to get this......I'm not complaining.  We'll see if it's pretty much the same.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

Regards using the IP at 9000 feet, Laura's site has a table for figuring out the cooking time adjustments:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/#high

According to the chart 40% seems like a lot of time...even if you lose some of the speed advantage you still have the convenience factor to make it worth while.

p

• Like 1

Yesterday my cousin and I cooked a big turkey, stuffing and gravy at my house to bring to a dinner at his daughter's home.  The Instant-Pot proved the perfect tool to transport the gravy and keep it warm at the event.  Used the locking lid for the car ride and switched to a glass one for the warming part.  Very handy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Was very surprised to receive this for Christmas this morning!

PC251018.JPG

I haven't opened it up yet, but just from reading the box it sounds very similar to the IP.  Glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy a second IP (yet).  

@blue_dolphinI, too, bought a second silicone ring.

My mom and step-dad should be opening their IP soon.  We'll see if they like it.  I wouldn't buy them another "gadget" if I didn't think they would.....but you never know.   The problem is going to be taking the time to learn how to use it.  Mom is so so busy with work and other obligations.  They live at a very high altitude (around 9,000 ft.) so I may have some questions related to that.  I need to make a list of all the great IP links so I can send them over.

Edited to add:  Turns out my husband thought he had ordered an IP.  LOL so he didn't mean to get this......I'm not complaining.  We'll see if it's pretty much the same.

Shelby - I had this same Cuisinart electric pressure cooker and eventually I gave it to Goodwill because it was a real pain to use and it did not live up to its advertised usefulness. One of my biggest complaints was that it took FOREVER to come up to pressure.  OTH, I'm loving the IP even though I've had it only 10 days now.  The IP is functioning much better than the Cuisinart ever did -- I can see that I will be using it frequently.  This morning, I pressure-cooked smoked ham hocks for my stepson who is preparing a mess of collards today.  45 minutes in the IP and WOW they were falling apart and the seasoning permeating the cooking liquid.  I wonder if you could exchange the Cuisinart for a second IP?  Just a thought.

Also after following the suggestions above about how to get the IP lid on, it's easy peasy now!  Thank you so much for the advice, rotuts!  No more wiggling-jiggling.  The top slid on easily on the first try. Woot!  I have not yet applied the nail polish but now that I think I've got the hang of it, I may not even need nail polish.  It was super-easy to align the top using the instructions and illustrations provided by rotuts.  Many thanks and happy cooking everyone!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kbjesq said:

I had this same Cuisinart electric pressure cooker and eventually I gave it to Goodwill because it was a real pain to use and it did not live up to its advertised usefulness. One of my biggest complaints was that it took FOREVER to come up to pressure.  OTH, I'm loving the IP even though I've had it only 10 days now.  The IP is functioning much better than the Cuisinart ever did -- I can see that I will be using it frequently.  This morning, I pressure-cooked smoked ham hocks for my stepson who is preparing a mess of collards today.  45 minutes in the IP and WOW they were falling apart and the seasoning permeating the cooking liquid.  I wonder if you could exchange the Cuisinart for a second IP?  Just a thought.

Hmmmmm! That's puzzling! My neighbor has two Cuisinart electric pressure cookers and they work great!

Anyway, I was gifted an overstock.com e-gift card so I jumped on the bandwagon last evening.

Cuisinart CPC-600FR 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker (Refurbished..because I'm cheap) $67.95-12% OFF PROMO=$59.80+2 yr. replacement warranty= $67.00 total.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm still trying to get my IP poached eggs the way I want them.  We were recently out for breakfast to one of our favourite places and the owner/chef uses jumbo, double yolk eggs.  On the way out the door he gave us a dozen and I have used up my other eggs and am ready to start using these.  My question is, do I need to adjust the cooking time for these larger eggs?  This is the size of them shown in both ounces and grams.  Many thanks.

20151226_135413.jpg

20151226_135400.jpg

Today I nailed the IP hardboiled eggs.

This are medium size, around 60-65g each, free-range(-ish) eggs. After some experiments with diferent cooking and rest times from this thread I settled on 5 min low pressure and 9 min of natural release. Dump the egss in a salad bowl filled with cold water and leave it under the running faucet until the eggs are cold to the touch.

After 15min of rest in the water:

XiuyGcW.jpg

Perfect! Creamy yolk and no traces of the 'dreaded green ring from hell'.

Happy holidays everyone!

• Like 9

The IP was a fine thing when cooking Christmas dinner. First I used it to cook potatoes for the potato salad, and then to steam the country ham before browning it in a skillet. I started to use it to cook the pasta for the mac and cheese, but at that point it was getting close to dinnertime, and I didn't want to experiment with a new technique. Pasta cooks quickly enough, anyway.

Still loving the IP.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com