• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

you initial pic  was UpSide Down

truth Full ply

Yes it was. I have a habit of doing that. I now get the Down Under reference. Nice catch, and quick, may I add!

I just finished the water test. That worked. I have some nice fresh eggs from my SIL's chick's from their hobby farm so I will try to poach some eggs for breakfast. I saw the instructions somewhere but looking at my notes it was not on this thread. Shouldn't be too hard to find she said hopefully.

I just finished the water test. That worked. I have some nice fresh eggs from my SIL's chick's from their hobby farm so I will try to poach some eggs for breakfast. I saw the instructions somewhere but looking at my notes it was not on this thread. Shouldn't be too hard to find she said hopefully.

Anna wrote about "poached" eggs in Part 1: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151807-instant-pot-multi-function-cooker-part-1/?p=2028707.  

Someone might think I have been reviewing the topic in anticipation of a Christmas gift and someone would be right.  Only my "imaginary cooking friends," as my DH refers to you all, could convince me to acquire another bulky appliance that I have never laid hands on.  Stay tuned.

I just ordered this 3qt mesh basket but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't make a recommendation.  Reviewers indicate it's a simple matter to remove the handles so it fits in the IP.  Hopefully it will be worth the $8.65 price.

It wouldn't let you stack up 2 different containers like that one though.

I have that exact same one. Pliers will snap off the handles and it's a perfect fit.   Definitely worth the price. I use it a lot.

• Like 1

Fernwood, thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed making a note of that when I read the entire thread with the sole purpose of making notes of everything of interest. Now I am curious and I hope Anna N will respond to this. I tried an egg in a ramekin for 4 minutes on low pressure. The whites were very runny, which I loathe. So back in it went for another minute on low. This time I had the equivalent of a hard boiled egg. Anna N did hers for 3 minutes but did not say if that was at low or high pressure. She used silicone poaching cups, I used a ramekin. I added about a teaspoon of cream and two little bits of Brie to mine. I also covered mine loosely with foil. I don't know if she did. I used a quick release both times. I am about to do two more and will use silicone poaching cups, uncovered, for three minutes on low.

Fernwood, thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed making a note of that when I read the entire thread with the sole purpose of making notes of everything of interest. Now I am curious and I hope Anna N will respond to this. I tried an egg in a ramekin for 4 minutes on low pressure. The whites were very runny, which I loathe. So back in it went for another minute on low. This time I had the equivalent of a hard boiled egg. Anna N did hers for 3 minutes but did not say if that was at low or high pressure. She used silicone poaching cups, I used a ramekin. I added about a teaspoon of cream and two little bits of Brie to mine. I also covered mine loosely with foil. I don't know if she did. I used a quick release both times. I am about to do two more and will use silicone poaching cups, uncovered, for three minutes on low.

Elsie I used the STEAM function so no high or low pressure, no additions and no cover as I recall.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

KitchenQueen

and BD

when you get the mesh basket mentioned, Id love to see a pic of it in the IP

just to check its height and clearance on the edges.

My sister now has an IP, got the extra discount from Amazon, and would appreciate something like this.

I might also like it as a spare  

I do have a Mighty Fine basket, gifted to me  ( continued thanks )  but I can't imagine why I would not enjoy 

a 'spare'

many thanks

Although it probably not the Season for Potato Salad

unless perhaps the German Hot PS

the IP  using AnnaN's method, makes perfect and mighty fine HB eggs.

a doz. at a time Ive done, cooled and re-refrigerated.

As requested, here are pictures of the stainless steel basket from Amazon.  I used a pair of pliers and a big screwdriver to pry the handles off.  You'll have to navigate over to Amazon if you want to see them as I didn't take any photos.

Here you can see that it has 3 little wire feet:

IMG_2272.jpg

You can place it directly into the Instant Pot:

IMG_2273.jpg

Or if you want it elevated a bit to accommodate more water without bathing the bottom of the basket, you can put it on top of the trivet:

IMG_2274.jpg

I imagine the little mitts or something similar would be useful for removing it from the steaming pot.  Instant Pot should include something just like this, but with a little handle like a pail.

I expect it will be very useful.  Easy to just store it in the pot, too.

Edited to create Amazon-friendly link

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

As requested, here are pictures of the stainless steel basket purchased from Amazon.  I used a pair of pliers and a big screwdriver to pry the handles off.  You'll have to navigate over to Amazon if you want to see them as I didn't take any photos.

Here you can see that it has 3 little wire feet:

attachicon.gifIMG_2272.jpg

You can place it directly into the Instant Pot:

attachicon.gifIMG_2273.jpg

Or if you want it elevated a bit to accommodate more water without bathing the bottom of the basket, you can put it on top of the trivet:

attachicon.gifIMG_2274.jpg

I imagine the little mitts or something similar would be useful for removing it from the steaming pot.  Instant Pot should include something just like this, but with a little handle like a pail.

Edited for clarity

You beat me to it.  Four good sized beets in it last night, perfectly cooked and rubbed them with a paper towel and the skins just slid right off.  I'm one of those who loves mine so much I bought a second one too.

• Like 1

Thanks, Anna, I had not done them yet when I saw your post. I did them the way you did, and they came out perfectly.

I bought some pork back ribs today that I am going to cook in the IP. I saw somewhere that someone had done this and after cooking, slathered them with BBQ sauce and then stuck them under the broiler.

Ipf anyone knows offhand where this was and could direct me to the post, I would appreciate it. It was not on this thread.

Thanks, Anna, I had not done them yet when I saw your post. I did them the way you did, and they came out perfectly.

I bought some pork back ribs today that I am going to cook in the IP. I saw somewhere that someone had done this and after cooking, slathered them with BBQ sauce and then stuck them under the broiler.

Ipf anyone knows offhand where this was and could direct me to the post, I would appreciate it. It was not on this thread.

Are you sure it wasn't this topic?

click

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I was sure until after I posted this. So I went back to part 1 of this topic and found it. I then came back to delete the rib part of my post and you beat me to it with the link. I can't imagine why I did not make note of it as we love ribs. I think I need to go through the whole topic again to make sure I have noted what I want to refer back to. I am about to cook these up. I will place them in the pot tepee style, add 1/2 cup of water and some liquid smoke, cook for 30 minutes on high and release the pressure manually. We won't be eating these until later so will do the sauce and broil them then. Thanks, Anna.

• Like 1

As requested, here are pictures of the stainless steel basket purchased from Amazon.  I used a pair of pliers and a big screwdriver to pry the handles off.  You'll have to navigate over to Amazon if you want to see them as I didn't take any photos...

Not available on Amazon.ca and the US page says it doesn't ship to Canada :angry:

p

My apologies - I searched for "RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel 3 Quart Wide Rim Mesh Basket" as per US description

Amazon.ca has it as "RSVP Endurance Wide Rim Mesh Basket"

Just have to look harder next time, although I'm not sure I want to spend $18 on it, I'll look around at Walmart and see if there's something similar that is cheaper

My apologies - I searched for "RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel 3 Quart Wide Rim Mesh Basket" as per US description

Amazon.ca has it as "RSVP Endurance Wide Rim Mesh Basket"

Just have to look harder next time, although I'm not sure I want to spend $18 on it, I'll look around at Walmart and see if there's something similar that is cheaper

If you find anything, let me know. I don't want to spend $18 on it either. I'm wondering about a deep fryer basket.

• Like 1

Edited for clarity

My thought was to string some picture hang wire or something similar (stainless steel braid?) to enable you to get a pair of tongs under it and lift it until you can grasp it with a mitt. The wire would have to be long enough so it could move out of the way and not impede access. A DIY pail handle.

p

Anna, I was sure until after I posted this. So I went back to part 1 of this topic and found it. I then came back to delete the rib part of my post and you beat me to it with the link. I can't imagine why I did not make note of it as we love ribs. I think I need to go through the whole topic again to make sure I have noted what I want to refer back to. I am about to cook these up. I will place them in the pot tepee style, add 1/2 cup of water and some liquid smoke, cook for 30 minutes on high and release the pressure manually. We won't be eating these until later so will do the sauce and broil them then. Thanks, Anna.

No worries.

Here's a link to a rib recipe from JAZ (Janet Zimmerman). Ribs for two!

My 2004 eG Blog

The damned Instant Pot is costing me money. 

I decided that, since I had a pressure cooker for the first time in ages, I needed to buy some Rancho Gordo beans, which I could now cook without having to plan it the night before and soak. So I betook myself to the Rancho Gordo site. And all the bean varieties are so pretty and so fascinating that I kept clicking "add to cart," and when I got through, I had, well, about 8 or 9 different packages.

They arrived midweek. And I was intimidated enough by them that I thought, "You can't just throw those in there with a hamhock," so I ordered the Rancho Gordo cookbook, which should be here Friday.

We will have beans this weekend.

rancho gordo.JPG
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I was sleuthing around the Internet today, I saw that Food52 had a recipe for Dulce de Leche from scratch.  But sadly for you it was done on the stove top.  All the others I saw called for sweetened condensed milk.  

I know many ways to cook broccoli. Most of them result in a perfectly al dente,  brilliantly green vegetable.  Not willing to let well enough alone last night I decided steam my broccoli in the Instant Pot. Hmmm.  Broccoli purée anyone?  I studied up on my subject thoroughly. Even watched a YouTube video on how to cook vegetables in the Instant Pot.  Used a trivet and a steaming basket.   Chose four minutes and a quick release because I was also cooking the stems.  Knew long before the four minutes were up that my broccoli was not doing well. Just in the time it took for the Instant Pot to reach pressure I knew inside there my broccoli was turning to mush. 

Given all the ways I have to cook broccoli I can think of no logical reason to attempt to do it again in the Instant Pot  but you all know that I will have to try!   First to hunt down more broccoli.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog