• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

another place mentioned was Pricegrabber 

http://www.pricegrabber.com/intant-pot-products/

maybe the Bots are cooking some Steel Turkeys ?

re Bender from Futurama    

any way, its interesting to me how the Markets go up and go down

some of these places let you know 'smartly' about price changes

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/technology/personaltech/black-friday-deal-or-dud-how-to-shop-smart-this-holiday-season.html

I had told myself that the next cooking-related purchase was to be a gas grill.  I justified this as a way to cook w/o electricity or gas (earthquake), assuming I keep LP tanks ready and the house doesn't topple over and crush the thing.  The price history tools tell me that prices on Weber gas grills, at least on Amazon, are pretty stable so I ignored my plan and bought the $104 Instant Pot.  Won't be much help if the power is out, but it looks pretty sturdy so maybe I can store some valuables inside it  :laugh:

• Like 2

you will not regret it

however, if you have a 'deck'  a webber is very nice

3 burner

however, they Chinz'd them selves up to KissKiss Home and Garden

if you indeed have a Deck

find an old 3 burner model

it going to be greeeeeesy etc

but all thee parts can be replaced is needed

just find one, cheeeeeep and fix it up.

maybe you need Industrial gloves to do this 

but a 3 burner weber old is just the same as a 3 burner weber glitz's up

I ve seen them on the Curb for Pick-Up !

• Like 2

I've been wondering about the electric pressure cookers like Instant Pot, Cuisinart and what have you. I have an old Kuhn Rikon stovetop pc that works quite fine, it probably reaches that 15psi or even more if it's heated a bit "too much". The issue I have with it is a) I need to monitor and adjust the stove, b) it's not very good at doing +1hr cooks as I'd need to put quite a bit of water in so that it doesn't "run dry". I've tried googling about the temperatures these things can reach, and it seems they work at about 11psi. Does anyone know of an electric pressure cooker that would operate at 14-15psi? And secondly, if I want to do for example pressure cooked ketchup, caramelized cream, white chocolate, milk powder etc, things that are done there only for the caramelization/Maillard, would these really work the same way in 11psi as they do in 15psi (assuming I could just increase the time by some amount)? Or would the results be vastly worse for those kinds of applications?

Appreciate all the help, thanks!

its unlikely that an electric PC would be manufactured to get to 15 psi, due to the expense 

re :  caramelization/Maillard

that's a veery good question.  you get this at 15 psi ?

Id call the IP folks and ask that very question

their customer service is quite good.

I've joined the club as well. Amazon Black Friday deal. I figure I can get rid of my slow cooker and rice cooker, and create a little room in my cabinet. Plus, I haven't had a pressure cooker in forever.

Looking forward to experimentation.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

i told my sister about this special   she just got the pot for 118

I told her to call.  She was very polite about it.

she has prime and the Amazon Credit card

they refunded to her card the difference   :  $  40

sweet !

PS :  its while supplies last

Id be very curious to see how many they have on hand ( were ever )   and sell

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting. I cancelled the 1st order and reordered at this price.

I've been wondering about the electric pressure cookers like Instant Pot, Cuisinart and what have you. I have an old Kuhn Rikon stovetop pc that works quite fine, it probably reaches that 15psi or even more if it's heated a bit "too much". The issue I have with it is a) I need to monitor and adjust the stove, b) it's not very good at doing +1hr cooks as I'd need to put quite a bit of water in so that it doesn't "run dry". I've tried googling about the temperatures these things can reach, and it seems they work at about 11psi. Does anyone know of an electric pressure cooker that would operate at 14-15psi? And secondly, if I want to do for example pressure cooked ketchup, caramelized cream, white chocolate, milk powder etc, things that are done there only for the caramelization/Maillard, would these really work the same way in 11psi as they do in 15psi (assuming I could just increase the time by some amount)? Or would the results be vastly worse for those kinds of applications?

Appreciate all the help, thanks!

For whatever reason, the electric pressure cookers have their "high" pressure which is lower than a stovetop pressure cooker. I don't know about other books, but the Great Big Pressure Cooker Cook Book by Mark Scarbrough and Bruce Weinstein actually gives separate timings for electric and traditional models, to compensate for this. In many cases, the electric time is a few minutes longer than the stovetop time.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

FWIW, pressure cooker PSI is an issue with much confusion.

"Does Instant Pot have the same 15 psi max working pressure as common stove-top pressure cookers? Yes! It’s 15.23psi.
Does Instant Pot cook your food constantly at 15psi? No, it’s in the range of 10.15~11.6 psi."

"If your recipe specifies cooking at 15psi, you can adapted to Instant Pot by increasing the cooking time by 7~15%."

Source: http://instantpot.com/which-electric-pressure-cooker-operates-at-15psi/

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

FWIW, pressure cooker PSI is an issue with much confusion.

"Does Instant Pot have the same 15 psi max working pressure as common stove-top pressure cookers? Yes! It’s 15.23psi.

Does Instant Pot cook your food constantly at 15psi? No, it’s in the range of 10.15~11.6 psi."

"If your recipe specifies cooking at 15psi, you can adapted to Instant Pot by increasing the cooking time by 7~15%."

Source: http://instantpot.com/which-electric-pressure-cooker-operates-at-15psi/

Yep. And that's what I'm wondering, does that 4-5 psi difference (and therefore the difference in temperature) affect stuff like caramelizing cream or can you make the difference up by cooking a bit longer on the lower temperature. If someone has done any of those things with electric cookers I'd be interested in hearing, especially great would be comparisons between the two!

The Instant Pot ordered yesterday was delivered already.  I requested a partial refund.  Hope that works so I can apply the price drop difference to my Weber grill fund  :laugh:

Edited to add that I got an email from Amazon customer service saying that they would process a partial refund for the price difference.  Good news!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

if you got it 'recently' why not call and ask ?

1 (888) 280-4331

being polite doesn't hurt.

you can invest that 40 and get a CSB  ( eventually ) !

2 clicks to cancel, 3 clicks to reorder. Fast and easy.

And, I am always polite; and thanks to this forum have proudly owned a Cuisinart CSO300 Combo Steam/Convection Oven for about a month. 

• Like 2

For whatever reason, the electric pressure cookers have their "high" pressure which is lower than a stovetop pressure cooker. I don't know about other books, but the Great Big Pressure Cooker Cook Book by Mark Scarbrough and Bruce Weinstein actually gives separate timings for electric and traditional models, to compensate for this. In many cases, the electric time is a few minutes longer than the stovetop time.

In my experience, the times in Scarbrough and Weinstein's book are not very reliable. When I was researching my book, I found very few instances where the pressure difference between stovetop and electric cookers required different cooking times. In some cases (very short cooking times) I found that the extra time required for my electric cooker to come up to pressure actually meant that a shorter cooking time was required than for my stovetop model. For stocks, I found the pressure level made a small difference; I cook stocks a bit longer in the electric cooker than in my stovetop mode.  In the one case where I wanted caramelization (my only example is onions), the electric cooker took 55 as opposed to 45 minutes, and I still didn't get quite as much browning. I should note that I don't have an Instant Pot; my electric cooker is by Cuisinart.

• Like 2

I have just re-read all 22 pages of this thread and made notes which reference back to the post nos. of the items I am interested in. There were quite a few, all very helpful. I have one question at the moment and it relates to cook books. I ordered The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Cookbook: 101 Incredible Recipes for Busy Families by Virginia Hathaway as I thought it might be useful to have a book specific to the Instant Pot in addition to the manual that comes wit it. However, reading the posts I got the impression that it isn't a very good book. Any thoughts? Is there another one that would be better? I do have a couple of books on stove top pressure cookers so maybe that is all I need? I still have time to cancel the cookbook as it is being shipped after my IP.

I can't speak to that book

I get the 

Hip Pressure Cooking book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Pressure-Cooking-Fresh-Flavorful/dp/1250026377

Ive used this extensively , the copy from my library

the into section is well written and tell you all you need to know about PC and Electric PC

the web site is nice.   there is a page there on times for various items, but its a bit difficult to figure out

as the web site covers both stovetop PC and IP.s

Ive made a few Rx's from the book for simple things  

they worked fine.

however, for better results on things that might require several ingredioents

I rely on eG's Own  : AnnaN

surprised.gif></a></p>

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1