• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 2)

Shelby

Host's note: this topic is continued from Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1).

All you IP gurus.  I have a question:

Do you take the rubber seal out every time and wash it?  If so, how?  I've washed mine (not every time) and it still holds scents....not bad scents, mind you, but I can't seem to get it scentless.  I haven't soaked it in anything but hot, soapy water.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

I think the seal is silicone

I just wipe the top dry and have never taken the seal out.

as fat as I can tell, mine does not have a pronounced scent.

Id call them and tell them about your experience

they were very helpful to me the couple of times I called them

• Like 1

Silicone is prone to picking up odors and hanging onto them. When I first got my Silpats, I made some crispy duck skin and they smelled like duck fat for months no matter what I did to them. Now they smell perpetually of bacon. Likewise, the gasket on my (non-IP) pressure cooker has a perpetual beef/chicken stock smell that never goes away regardless of how many times I run it through the dishwasher (which is every time I use it).

If you Google "pressure cooker gasket odor," you'll find this is a common issue. There aren't any solutions that completely deodorize silicone, but it's not really much of a problem for pressure cooker gaskets. Once I made my peace with the issue, I didn't really mind it anymore.

• Like 2

Has anybody tried the LUX Multi-Cooker versus the Instant Pot?  One thing they have that I like is the ceramic coated inner pot instead of just stainless steel.  They also have an optional stainless steel one.  Functionality wise they look almost identical in another nice feature is that they come in 4, 6 and 8 quart sizes.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

MSRadell, I'm sorry I'm no help, but hopefully someone around here has used one.

I seem to be hogging the IP thread  :laugh:

Ronnie bought us some chicken gizzards at the Asian Market.  They were like $2 for a nice big lot of them.  I soaked them in egg and milk and then dredged them in seasoned flour.  I fried them until golden brown and into the IP they went.

Before starting the IP.  I surely like this gadget that they are on.  Super handy.

PB170914.JPG

All done after 25 mins.

PB170915.JPG

Tender, they were.

And, Rotuts, you're very right.  This IP is causing me to eat waaaaay more bad stuff than normal lol.  I'll be wearing yoga pants from now on.  :blush:

• Like 7

Does anyone have the Bluetooth enabled version? The Instant Pot is on my wish list and I am wondering if it is worth it to pay the extra $80 on Amazon for the Bluetooth version. I am also wondering about the Bluetooth range. I read where it works up to 30' which is about the distance from my favourite chair to the kitchen.

Same here (cumin is the main culprit in my case) I wouldn't worry.

All you IP gurus.  I have a question:

Do you take the rubber seal out every time and wash it?  If so, how?  I've washed mine (not every time) and it still holds scents....not bad scents, mind you, but I can't seem to get it scentless.  I haven't soaked it in anything but hot, soapy water.

• Like 1

I can not find the spot where you guys boiled some eggs seriously I see them talked about and am I blind ? is there an easier way to navigate this thread so many good recipes but where are the eggs? I am so hungry and not thinking straight I guess  LOL they are probably obvious 

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

its actually easy hgki :

go up to the very top right

there is a search thing-ey

type in eggs    make sure the gray area says 'this topic '

and then search you should get this :

https://forums.egullet.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

cheers

Rotuts thanks you just changed my life holy crap I have been wasting time 

thank you !!!! I tried the recipe the eggs just made the best boiled eggs of my life ..no photos because they look like eggs I did half duck half chicken a dozen of various sizes because if they didn't turn out they would go to the animals anyway ..well not one out of a dozen mismatched eggs wasn't used in a particularly yummy egg salad I just made with baby grape pickles ..I am in heaven and no way with the amount of eggs we get if I need hard boiled eggs I ail ever NOT make them in the IP ..everyone popped on out of the shell and no green rims no smell (mine rarely smell sulfery ) 

I am so happy to eat some food today I can not even express words …I am shocked and this is constantly that good with boiled eggs? 

hope IP appreciates  this thread is all I can say! Thanks Anna for sharing that miracle for me today ..I feel so much better I hate being stressed and trying to make food make sense 

I am really late but still in the game …in fact more living room  IP meals ahead here so I  will have to run through the thread like a cookbook now 

eta I cooked a dozen eggs and made egg salad  so little time???? I did not measure but it seemed so short total prep to eating I found the recipe before you posted but now I know how to look ..good grief 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 3
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

FWIW, Wal-Mart will allegedly have the Instant Pot, 6 qt., 6-in-1, for $79 on 11/27. Online only, IIRC.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I am seriously considering it.

According to the ad it'll be $79 online both Black Friday the 27th and Cyber Monday the 30th.

With "bonus mitts" included on Cyber Monday.

No item numbers so I'm not sure they're exactly the same model although both are advertised as 6 quart.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

well   good

indeed Excellent !

those bonus mits might be silicone   

just saying

Id call IP and ask about the differences

the type of pot   ( stainless steel ) it size  and the lid

I can't be sure, but maybe the 6 went to 7 re yogurt ?

but when well informed,

please join the Club  

FD :  your have 'pants' w stretchy elastic in the waist ?

no ?  Id look for a few of those on the various Black Days coming up

just saying

Me  Mr Potato Salad ?

I just don't button the top button on the levi's I wear and have had for over  10 years..

just saying

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Id like to pressure steam some sweet potatoes in the IP

i tried my best to search this  thread  and only got AnnaN's sweet potato mash a la MC.

so have you pressure steam SP ?

Im looking for SP's fully cooked , not over cooked that I can chill and use for Various on Turkey DAY

Id like to cut the SP in chunks and leave the skin on

chill the re-work later

many thank to the IPHeads here !

the NYTimes today offered some info on tracking programs to watch for price drops of Items you are considering for putchasae

one site is Camelcamelcamel   her is the IP w price tracking :

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/product/B00FLYWNYQ?context=browse

don't you just love the web, from time to time ?

It doesn't appear that camelcamelcamel does a particularly good job.

That IP model (B00FLYWNYQ) is currently $104.97 on Amazon.

j8fdlk.png