• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reusing home made stock to make stock +, then ++ etc

rotuts

this was discussed in another topic I can't find :

rather than reduce stock when its first made, any not use that first stock ( de-fatted, probably then Fz )

to be the base of the second similar stock you eventually make ?

I plan on trying this technique in the Insta-Pot w various bits from Fz turkey breasts Ive acquired :

i.e. after removing the breast meat for a project, Id chop up the back and carcass and add those to the IP

and punch in 'soup'   save than and use that again  ( if I have any left ) for a second, third etc time around.

I plan to only add a carrot or two, some onion, to this to make stock.

no salt or other herbs.   Id add those when I used some of the stock for a  gravy or soup later.

if Im efficient in the freezing and sealing, so there is little loss or change in the flavor at those point

would the next step stock get any off tastes ?   I understand that in the IP the liquids do not boil on 'Soup'

thanks

Do you have Barbara Tropp's China Moon cookbook? She would make a basic stock and then did a series of 2nd and even 3rd simmers adding various ingredients to create a complimentary stock for particular dishes. She tells the story of the disaster of a serious earthquake in San Francisco where the restaurant was - losing all the stock due to no electricity and having to start from scratch as the various dishes just tasted flat to her without the double and triple stocks. Book in storage so I can't be more specific. Going to look for it this morning and will update if I can find it.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I do this all the time in various forms.

The shelf-stable stock in the following post is made from homemade stock added to bones, etc. to make a more concentrated stock... https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151584-pressure-cooker-as-food-autoclave-safety/#entry2022572

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It can only taste better Rotuts I can not imagine you would find anything off but you will find it different! and better probably … do it Rotuts yes!

I do it I build my stocks change them rotate them and move them around into very many creations as I keep adding and adding 

when they are supersaturated they are my ramen base but no I have not had anything taste "off " just better :) 

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I've used a base stock batch 5 times, refreshing in a weekly basis. The 5th time around was exquisite. Served it alongside the meal in shot glasses.

I have found that the stock may spoil if not refreshed within the week, or frozen.

The other down side, for me, is that if it becomes too gelatinous, the mouthfeel isn't pleasant.