• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confusing ads for kitchen stuff

Arey

Lately SmartBalance original has added this comment "Now use it like butter" to the top of the tub lid. Then it lists things you can use it for such as baking and sauteing.  Well, that's what I have been using it for, was that wrong?  Should I have been using it for something else, such as spreading it on that very squeaky hinge on my fridge, or on my deck door track which tends to stick?   Another product has on the container in very large print "25 Percent More"  and in much smaller print beneath it "vs the 40 oz size". And, I suspected the shelf stockers at the local supermarket had gotten tired of sticking up "gluten free" stickers when I saw them all over  the bottled water section.

Ads and statements such as this tend to remind me of work where new instructions and rules came from every direction especially emails intermingled with lots of stuff that only 10 people in central office would understand, and only 5 of them would care about.  Sometimes I would only find out about something that I should been doing when the email came saying  I could stop doing it. 

What ads or signs tick you off?

ETA-In the interests of not wasting band width, I am no longer correcting typos once poosted.

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I just burned off 300 calories rolling on the floor laughing at your stories, Arey. The new miniscule-y thinner me says thank you! Now I can go eat that super-sized, calorie and fat reduced, frozen meal I have been saving for a special 'banquet' occasion.

Just about every ad ticks me off these days it seems. Marketing has hit a new low.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

My favorite ones are signs that point out the absence of something you never would have expected to be in the product, usually in service of attempting to make the product sound somehow "healthy". I have seen five-pound bags of sugar labeled "Sugar: A Fat Free Food" and a display of bags of pork rinds crowned by a sign saying "Pork Rinds are a Low Carb Snack."

Re the Smart Balance "Use It Like Butter" - I've read that some margarine products have a much higher percentage of water than butter does, and attempting to bake with it results in disaster. Presumably Smart Balance has found some way around this conundrum.

• Like 1

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch