• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2015-2016)

Patrick S

26 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

Shelby,

It's generous of you to credit me but all I did was make a couple minor changes to a good recipe I found elsewhere. I usually also make a double batch as they freeze so well.

Well, you tweaked and you shared so in my mind it's yours now :) 

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Could not resist making a bunch of Moomie's buns.  I made the dough in the Thermomix. I am seed challenged so they just got brushed with melted butter. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ciabbata. Done in the Thermomix. So darn easy. So darn good. image.jpeg

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Over the years I  have made many hot dog buns non-nearly as successful as these.  Thank you @cyalexa for the hints on shaping and spacing.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Hand-mixed two batches of dough on Saturday morning. Both went into the fridge for a long bulk rise.  Both 750g at 72% hydration.

One batch taken out and baked early Monday morning.

Mixed%20May%207th%2C%20baked%20May%209th

Six small boules.

Second batch was taken out of the fridge early this morning.

Mixed%20May%207th%2C%20baked%20May%2010t

and netted four baguettes.

• Like 6

Thank you ElsieD. 

heidih, just click on the http:// link at the bottom of my post and the recipe will be there. It is from the Farm Journal Homemade Bread book, 1969. PS I used coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening.

ps heidih, I baked the bread to 200º internal temp. and it took 15 minutes longer than the recipe stated. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Beautiful loaves, Norm.

Seconded!

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you too Anna N. Your hot dog buns look good too.  Have you ever heard of Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns?  It was a hit at the King Arthur bakers sharing site a few years ago.  Your buns remind me of those.

OOPS. I didn't read up thread enough to see that you do know about them.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

@Norm Matthews

I have to tell you how very rare it is that I make bread in the evening. But your Swedish rye just called out to me and I was able to get some more rye flour today and so at 5 o'clock I was converting volume to weights, and manual to Thermomix. Here's the result just out of the oven and brushed with melted butter. My house smells heavenly but I will let the bread cool overnight before sampling it. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/05/2016 at 9:10 AM, Norm Matthews said:

Thank you ElsieD. 

heidih, just click on the http:// link at the bottom of my post and the recipe will be there. It is from the Farm Journal Homemade Bread book, 1969. PS I used coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening.

ps heidih, I baked the bread to 200º internal temp. and it took 15 minutes longer than the recipe stated. 

Norm,

I too liked the look of your rye loaves and checked out your recipe. I have one small question.

You specify " 1 pkg. active dry yeast ". Could you please tell me how much yeast is that? I'm not sure packages have a standard size worldwide.

I buy my yeast in 500gram packages, although there are 15 gram packages available, too.

Thanks.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Norm,

I too liked the look of your rye loaves and checked out your recipe. I have one small question.

You specify " 1 pkg. active dry yeast ". Could you please tell me how much yeast is that? I'm not sure packages have a standard size worldwide.

I buy my yeast in 500gram packages, although there are 15 gram packages available, too.

Thanks.

1/4 oz/7 grams

My 2004 eG Blog

According the KA article I linked (or was it the one that keychris linked? sorry .. it was one of those about yeast etc. under BarneyDorfman's Starter Yeast and My Bread Machine thread) supposedly yeast has been 'improved' in recent years so that the power of the contents in the new smaller packages is the same as it was in the older, slightly larger ones. I find that interesting when it also comes at a time that manufacturers are, almost across the board, reducing content amounts in packages of just about everything (while keeping the package size the same) in order to achieve savings on their side while not increasing the package price to the consumer. It is a shill game - but perhaps in this case, they are telling the truth - who knows. Or perhaps, as noted above, the baker IS just slightly increasing rise times without realizing it to achieve the same results as they used to.

Anyway, your rye bread also looks wonderful, Anna. What adjustments did you make for the TMX method? I brought my TMX with me down south this time so I (thanks to you and Norm) may just try my hand at it too. I can almost smell it from here. :)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

I stumbled across this post the other day: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/9346/123-easy-formula-sourdough-bread

It's a bit old, but I had never seen it before. I liked her method - no fuss, just do it. I tried it the other day, and it really made a nice loaf of bread, quite sour (which I like) and good texture. I used bread flour with some rye and semolina, because it's a combination I like. I baked it in a loaf tin, I used a 9x5" although an 8 1/2x4 1/2 would have been better. The crumb was a bit open, but it was good for sandwiches. I know I will use this method again trying out different flour combinations. Has anyone ever used this method?