• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2015-2016)

Patrick S

Made the bread with pureed corn as the liquid yesterday. I think I pulled it from the oven just a smidge early -- it's a tad gummy -- and while it has a good flavor, you really don't taste the corn. I think if and when I make it again, I'll add some cornmeal or masa for a bit more corn personality. 

corn bread.JPG

Will be baking a lot next week, as I've traded a couple of loaves of bread for someone coming to till up my three little garden spots, and another to someone who'll offer his pickup truck for a run to Lowe's. I love the barter economy.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I am planning making another olive bread soon - the last one went down well - and I'm thinking about adding some rosemary, too.

The thing is that I only have dried rosemary. Would you experienced bakers recommend that I rehydrate the rosemary before adding to the dough, or will there be enough moisture in the dough to do the job from dried?

Any advice gratefully received, as always. :)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou, I often make cornbread with olive oil and rosemary, using dried if that's all I have. As you know, cornbread's a quick bread, just mix up the batter and bake immediately. I like my results with dried prechopped rosemary. I quit using the whole dried leaves when I found out I could get it chopped smaller. I would think that the additional hydration time combined with the steam heat from the bake would render dried rosemary quite nicely soft in a yeast bread.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

8 minutes ago, Franci said:

Liuzhou, there is a Turkish bread that I really like, it's calle zeytinly ekmek. it has black olives, olive oil and mint. I was surprised on how well it worked. Let me know if you are any interested, I'll send you the recipe.

Sounds interesting. And I do have fresh mint growing on the balcony. Pls send the recipe. Many thanks.

image.jpeg

Saturday bread from Ken Forkish. This loaf "sang" for ages!  It's for my teenage granddaughter and I called her to listen to it singing.  She was quite amused. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby, I love using the whey from yogurt in my next bread. As I don't make bread but every couple of weeks or so, and the timing does not always coincide with yogurt-making, I generally freeze the whey in a plastic carton.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just dug my first attempt at rosemary bread from the oven.

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

I haven't tried it yet. It has gone into the freezer as I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for a three day trip out of town. Something to look forward to on my return at the weekend.

I did purloin a bit of the dough to make a pizza which, to my eternal shame, I burned. But I was looking after a sick friend at the time, so perhaps I can be forgiven.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

This weeks bread.  Two 750g batches of dough both started early Saturday morning and then into the fridge for a longer fermentation.

Pizza%20April%2017th%2C%202016%202-XL.jp

Used one of the doughs on Sunday for two small pizzas.  One topped with olives and the 

Pizza%20April%2017th%2C%202016-XL.jpg

other just a Margherita.

April%2018th%2C%202016%20crumb2-XL.jpg

and two small baguettes.

Second batch was baked yesterday. Two Boules baked in Dutch Ovens.

Boules%20April%2019th%2C%202016%20dough%

Boules%20April%2019th%2C%202016%20dough%

Crumb.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 11

image.jpeg

Another loaf of Saturday bread from Ken Forkish.  This one will go home with my number two son after dinner this evening.   This bread is so simple to make that it is hard to believe that you can improve with practice and yet I believe I do.  I have taken to making 12 folds rather than 4. I do that twice. Once about 10 minutes after the dough has been mixed and again 30 minutes later.  I then let it rest at room temperature for 5 to 6 hours before shaping it, putting it in a banneton for another hour or so to finish rising.  I then  gently plop it onto a piece of parchment and use the parchment to drop it into the screaming hot Dutch oven. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have made this bread a number of times before. It is Dan Lepard's sour cream sandwich loaf adapted for the Thermomix.  However I have never tried to bake it in this pan before!  Guess I will reduce the dough by about 20% when I make it again in this pan.  Lucky for me the recipe is in metric measurements so reducing it by 20% is a piece of cake. (No pun intended).

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

This bread gave me so much grief. This is the same recipe as I used to make  Dan Lepard's sour cream sandwich loaf. I made two changes. I reduced all the ingredients by 20% and I replaced the water with whey that was freshly collected from some yoghurt I was draining.  Everything about this bread was sluggish.  It rose much less than expected initially. My day was interrupted and I had to throw the dough into the refrigerator for a couple of hours before I could complete it. I let the bowl sit on the counter to warm up.  After two hours there seemed to be very little sign of life.  I walked myself back over everything I have done and knew very definitely that I had put the yeast in there and since I bake two or three times a week I knew there was nothing wrong with my yeast.  I wondered if it was the whey but since I've used whey before and never had this difficulty I dismissed that idea.  I eventually decided to shape it and put it in the pan and stash it very close to the oven as it was pre heating.  It took forever but eventually I could see it was rising appropriately in the pan.   I wanted to cook it in Breville  so I reduced the oven temperature from 400 to 375 Fahrenheit.  Once again it took forever. And when I tested it with my trusty Thermopen the shaft showed uncooked dough!  Damn.  I threw my oven thermometer on the shelf and lo and behold the temperature never got above 300°F.   My trusty Breville was letting me down.  I left the bread in there until it was 195° F.   I then changed the function from bake to roast on the oven and watched as the thermometer climbed to the set temperature.  Gremlins?  That's a hypothetical question! 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, the photo shows a good looking loaf, but with the problems you encountered, what was the crumb like?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

Anna, the photo shows a good looking loaf, but with the problems you encountered, what was the crumb like?

The crumb was absolutely fine. I have posted a photograph in the breakfast topic. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

Those buns are amazing!   If I had room in my freezer I would be thinking of making a batch. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Made a double batch of @cyalexa 's buns.  Freezer is all stocked up now

Shelby,

It's generous of you to credit me but all I did was make a couple minor changes to a good recipe I found elsewhere. I usually also make a double batch as they freeze so well.

• Like 2