• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2015-2016)

Patrick S

Also made a Pullman loaf last night, part semolina. Could have let it proof a bit more before baking, but I get impatient. This has been my go-to sandwich bread for several years now. The semolina, together with the fact that it contains no dairy at all (unlike most Pullman loaves, which are traditionally made with milk), give it a texture that I love. I usually slice it and then freeze the slices.  

Pullman Loaf 1.JPG

• Like 8

Big challah altar breads, for the Christmas midnight mass at our cathedral - the new Bishop apparently grilled his support staff to find out who had done the Easter loaves.

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.4d8d4936f4fa86ca17102

Some various and assorted bagels; I'm really digging the new rye recipes my great-aunt sent me lately - the rise is epic.

Bagels.thumb.jpg.2dbc4e587af7a75cd066d44

I wish I had crumb shots but these were all spoken for.

IMG_0065-1.thumb.JPG.f2769700cdd4f29a69b

• Like 8

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

@cakewalk

Your pullman loaf with the semolina looks terrific.  I am still waiting to hear the verdict on my honey oat meal one as I gave it to my number two son to take home.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0ded175ae1599498060a64

First attempt at Bukhari bread.  It is still hot so we'll have to wait a while to do a taste test.  At least it was a fun bread to make. Those are black sesame seeds although it called for nigella or sesame seeds.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Panaderia Canadiense Those are some buetiful breads!

@Anna N Wow, it's been a long time since I ate one of those, tough I know them with a different look. They are shaped round with a stamped center, and usually topped with plenty of white sesame and a little nigella (a small amount goes far, as it gives it a very specific flavor). The coolest thing about them is the traditionally they are baked vertically in a huge stone oven, similar to tandoori bread. I've never tried to make it myself, but this one delicious bread. 939892-5.thumb.jpg.ac75b3febeda0d6a1685e

Found a nice image online (I have no credit for it).

I really like the way you scored it using scissors, it make you want to grab a piece and snap it off :) 
Have you got to taste it by now?

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

I am not at all sure that these two breads are quite the same. Mine is takien from the cook book Honey & Co. And the authors admit to having taken considerable liberties. I do wish  I could taste it as they make it in their restaurant in London.  I can't honestly say it was to my taste as I made it.  That is the problem when you attempt a recipe for which you have no touchstone--  you are not sure whether it is your tastebuds or a poorly executed approximation of the real thing.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

@cakewalk

Your pullman loaf with the semolina looks terrific.  I am still waiting to hear the verdict on my honey oat meal one as I gave it to my number two son to take home.

Those are black sesame seeds although it called for nigella or sesame seeds.

Anna, in case you didn't know, you can get nigella from Penzeys.  I like to use them in my naan.

BTW, your bread is just beautiful!

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Anna, in case you didn't know, you can get nigella from Penzeys.  I like to use them in my naan.

BTW, your bread is just beautiful!

@lindag

Certainly did not mean to mislead you. I have nigella but opted for the black sesame instead. I will likely  attempt this bread again and give it longer on the second rise. It is touted as a fine bread for sopping up whatever needs sopping  up. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On February 12, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Anna N said:

First attempt at Bukhari bread.  It is still hot so we'll have to wait a while to do a taste test.  At least it was a fun bread to make. Those are black sesame seeds although it called for nigella or sesame seeds.

I want to nibble on those little pointy bits.  Would anyone notice if I broke off a few? Or maybe all of them? :D

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpeg.9533a9d41e21483d2bd3c21

Another honey and oat Pullman loaf.  I let this one rise a little too long in the pan and it actually oozed dough out into the oven. And you can see the unattractive ridge around the top crust. I am anxious to cut into this and see what it is like. I didn't get a chance to try my first one. My number two son says it makes find toast but has not yet tried it as a sandwich bread. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I've wondered how one controls the rise and volume, and what happens if there's too much for the pan.  Now I know part of the answer.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've wondered how one controls the rise and volume, and what happens if there's too much for the pan.  Now I know part of the answer.

Really this was just carelessness. I cover the rising dough with plastic wrap so I can see  what is happening in there.  It is advisable to put the lid on the pan once the dough reaches to about the 1 inch mark below the rim of the pan and then let it continue to rise with the lid on for 10 or 15 minutes. I am easily distracted that's what happened here.  I also suspect that this recipe which calls for 3 cups of flour and one cup of oats produces just a little too much dough. I will see what it is like when it is cool and perhaps next time reduce both flour and oats. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to try that honey oat Pullman recipe. It does sound like a lot of dough, it looks like your pan is the regular sized Pullman. I have the larger one (13x4x4) and my regular recipe uses about the same amount of flour by volume. I have read comments on other boards where people say the lids of their Pullman pans have popped off in the oven because they had too much dough, although I don't really see how that could happen, the lids seem to latch on pretty securely. Then again, never underestimate the power of rising dough!

I forgot to take a picture before we had this for breakfast. CI's cinnamon swirl bread. 

DSC00664.thumb.jpg.d606205e1cf9dd1c9ed4d

DSC00663.thumb.jpg.79692b2152e79572128e7

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 hours ago, cakewalk said:

I have read comments on other boards where people say the lids of their Pullman pans have popped off in the oven because they had too much dough, although I don't really see how that could happen, the lids seem to latch on pretty securely. Then again, never underestimate the power of rising dough!

When I first got my Pan de Mie I let my dough rise a bit too long and the lid did pop off in the oven.

I got a small pair of pliers and crimped the lid a little to get a tighter fit it was a trifle loose fitting).

Has anyone here tried a Fourneau cast iron bread 'oven'? It's a cast iron box that fits inside of a home oven, it kind of mimics baking in a dutch oven in that it holds moisture in a small space. The info on the website touts heat radiating in from all directions, but, IMO, a preheated oven does that, too. The Serious Eats reviewer used it with the ¼" MC steel.

18 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Has anyone here tried a Fourneau cast iron bread 'oven'? It's a cast iron box that fits inside of a home oven, it kind of mimics baking in a dutch oven in that it holds moisture in a small space. The info on the website touts heat radiating in from all directions, but, IMO, a preheated oven does that, too. The Serious Eats reviewer used it with the ¼" MC steel.

I think it might work for a small home business but it's too much for personal use IMO.

you'd have to have a space to store it when not in use and I imagine it takes a good long time to preheat it.  Also, you're limited to small loaves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I think it might work for a small home business but it's too much for personal use IMO.

you'd have to have a space to store it when not in use and I imagine it takes a good long time to preheat it.  Also, you're limited to small loaves.

Yeah, since it only makes one loaf at a time it seems to fall into the home cook category, but the price and storage considerations are considerable. It might make an ok accessory for a grill, for people who regularly cook with a grill, have extra space on it or extra heat after cooking a meal, and who are really into good bread. That said, even the manufacturer considers a dutch oven to be just as good, but with some size/shape restrictions, and most of us already own a dutch oven.

That ceramic hearth oven is larger and would accommodate several loaves.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:19 AM, lindag said:

Look at King Arthur Flour's website; they sell Lecithin there and you'll find a description and info about how to use it.  I use it sometimes to increase shelf life.  The also have products like 'whole grain improver'  and vital wheat gluten that will help to boost your rise.

So I've been using this organic (soy) liquid lecithin product in my baking for a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure if it is the lecithin or my new Alta Artisan Flour from Honeyville Farms (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007NC13Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage) but so far, things are turning out better, including:  cloverleaf dinner rolls, onion bread, pizza dough, cinnamon buns, and KA flour's recipe for honey-oat sandwich bread.  I've noticed a significant improvement in both the rise, flavor and the length of time that the bread stays fresh.  I'll keep using it until it runs out (it's an 8 oz bottle) and then I'll decide if I want to buy more.  I only use about a tablespoon per batch of dough, so it will last awhile. This bottle was a gift.

• Like 1

I took a notion for rye bread and had found Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe for Jewish rye bread. It overproofed on the third rise -- had to go pick up a grandchild! -- and wound up spreading out and making a wider, flatter loaf than I'd prefer, but the flavor is excellent.

56c4f83eadae7_ryebread2-16.thumb.JPG.ad1

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Anna,  I don't make many pan breads, but I want one of those Pullman Pans.

Elaina, I just sat down with a second coffee and would love a piece of your cinnamon swirl.  

Had my friend mill me some Canadian Whole Wheat  on Sunday so I used some to make a WW bread yesterday.  

Whole%20Wheat%2050%25%20February%2017th%

I used my regular homestyle white but subbed 50% of the white for whole wheat.  

Whole%20Wheat%2050%25%20February%2017th%

Sliced while still warm.

• Like 5

Yesterday's bread.  

Singing Bread.

https://youtu.be/ygdHFUF3C9o

February%2018th%2C%202016%201-XL.jpg

I tossed 100g of discarded starter into my regular baguette dough which has 5g of yeast.      

February%2018th%2C%202016%20Crumb%202-XL

Really happy with the flavour of this bread. The sourdough starter adds just enough tang to make it interesting without the sourdough flavour that I don't care for. This was 68% hydration. So not a lot of big holes, but still shines.

• Like 10

image.thumb.jpeg.5b1bf8502f582a6a8d2c743

Lebanese style flatbreads. Dough mixed in the Thermomix and baked stovetop on a griddle. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5b1bf8502f582a6a8d2c743

Lebanese style flatbreads. Dough mixed in the Thermomix and baked stovetop on a griddle. 

There is an old baker in Salé Medina (Rabat), Morocco, that in his small bakery, which measures about 5 x 10 foot, bakes hundreds of identical looking flatbreads from about 3am to about 7am each day and is sold out by 9am - wonderful bread eaten with evoo instead of butter! Through an interpreter, I found out that he has been doing this for over 50 years after taking over from his father, who had being making the flatbreads for over 60 years, in the same small shop.

• Like 5

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I was surprised at how much this flatbread reminded me of naan. 

My 2004 eG Blog