• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Up Periscope: Latest social media

gfron1

There is another possible reason - does Periscope broadcast your live stuff encoded as a form of advertisement? (Maybe by embedding promotional stuff somewhere during the broadcast) I run AdBlock as the default on my browsers. I know AdBlock disables certain kinds of videos which might nominally be promoted as informative videos; it certainly blocks overt ads.  If Periscope does that, then I would need to pause or disable AdBlock before I can biew your live broadcasts?  

Not sure why I could view those "live" broadcasts from others yesterday on Periscope's website, though...I accessed them by clicking on the "see a live feed" (or words to that effect) button on your Periscope page when your videos had expired (as I referred to further up in this thread) and could no longer be viewed, which appeared to then show me feeds from various people - I could "click on" to the next apparently "live" feed and so on. I don't seem to be able to click something to "see" live feeds if I start from their main webpage, however, nor from their "About us" or "blog" &etc tabs on that page.  Right now, on your Periscope page, I see your two latest videos listed - but I don't see a "see a live feed" button for other folk's feeds.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 10.41.05 PM.jpg

Perhaps one does need THEIR app to do all this stuff, or do it on a device using iOS or Android. Not going to happen at this point with me. So, I guess I'll just watch the uploaded videos of you in the future after your broadcasts.

I'm looking at your live broadcast *right now* on your webpage on Periscope...and I have no video (Chrome, iMac) – just audio. I can see the comments dropping in and the hearts drifting upwards when they appear. But, no video, just a black patch. Refreshing, reloading, etc does not give a video.  I *can* view the just-recorded video/broadcast of your making Biscocchitos w/ both video and audio, though. I'll wait for the "uploaded" recording of your live broadcast to see if the video then "appears".

Based on this answer from the Periscope help page, one would think that the live feeds would be viewable. 

"...You can also watch videos on the web and with other mobile browsers. If a broadcaster tweets out a live broadcast link, click on it and you'll be able to watch on your browser. Periscope on Web doesn't have chatting or heart capabilities at this time...."

That said, my experience was the same as yours, huiray, with Safari and Firefox - audio only, no video on the live feed but it worked fine on the completed video.  I was able to watch the live feed my iPad with the Periscope app. 

It was fun to watch, but I was getting worried for gfron1 during the busy parts and wished I could reach in and offer some help!  

• Like 2

Yay!

I got to watch Rob's videos of making biscochito dough and a about an hour and a quarter of Friday night dinner service at the Curious Kumquat in Silver City, NM.

I did not have to join Twitter, download any apps or anything, but I found it curious that Rob would respond on camera sometimes to people posting that I couldn't see their posts. Even more curious is that I could see some of the responses he was getting. He missed a bunch of responses and hearts that I could see while he was washing dishes and grabbing ingredients.

I won't be the only one who's surprised that a James Beard nominated chef actually does his own dishes.

Rob, I found you engaging, entertaining and funny on camera. You're lucky, because I don't think that's a talent that can be trained for. Many "celebrity chefs" talk very haltingly while trying to cook at the same time. Martha Stewart is one and so is Lydia Bastianich. I'm not a celebrity chef for sure, but when my husband was trying to engage me in conversation tonight between cleaning up the stove from lightly frying homemade tortillas for enchiladas and frying zucchini as the first course, I told him we had to talk later because I was too busy. I notice myself talking very haltingly when I'm trying to cook multiple things, and I can get so irritated and distracted by it. So much respect to you, sir.

I think YouTube might get you more exposure, although you seem to enjoy the live interaction on Periscope. People can leave comments and questions on YouTube, and you could come back and respond later instead of in the middle of dinner service. Also, YT videos don't go "poof" after 24 hours. Just sayin'.

One question? What was the red sort of bulbous thing on the shelf above your head whenever you leaned into the camera at the plating counter?

Thank you for sharing this with us on eG.

> ^ . . ^ <

Red bulbous thing...did it look like it wanted to attack me?!  My guess is the top of an igloo cooler Could that have been it? If it was its my retrofitted homebrew mashtun. Thanks for the comments. 

Three videos in and I'm trying to figure out what role this has with my branding. The 24 hour thing is what bothers me the most.

One idea – download and save this last video, if you still can (do you hold the rights to it? I would think you do, since you said previously you can save it to your phone then upload it to youtube etc), especially as you say it was a fun episode, with all the live commentary from folks too. Then use it as a "bit of fun stuff" a.k.a. "good vibes promo" in the relevant section of your webpage? That is, maybe not a long term thing with Periscope, but some useful videos might be obtained from it?

(Yes, I know this feeds the situation I had misgivings about in an earlier post - but one works with the culture of the times, especially for folks in the public eye. :-) )

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...