• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen - contract dispute

curls

thank you

I will say this :  with out the PBS show, at my local in this case  'GBH

these Empires would never get off the ground.

ATK seems to have lost it Cook's County connection as CK owns the property as far as I can tell

not being a Lawyer  (  suprise.gif )  its possible ATK got some advice  that many end up Chewing there Ass Off.

we will see.

these Empires are actually quite fragile   

not so much Rx based as perception based

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

"the company’s limited partners [...] have “suffered millions of dollars in damages.”"

Awwwwwww! Poor souls!!!!! PNwkR4x.gif

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It seems to me that the gaping hole in the logic that he can be sued by his ex is the assumption that he was legally obligated to stay with ATK just to keep her in the bucks. He is obligated to share his revenues but I don't see that anyone, including the courts, can looking into the future and determine what the financial future of any given individual will be.  I hope this gets tossed due to lack of merit.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

"the company’s limited partners [...] have “suffered millions of dollars in damages.”"

Awwwwwww! Poor souls!!!!! PNwkR4x.gif

Such BS from the Ex. What if he had a mid-life crisis and suddenly decided to chuck it all and work as a burger flipper at McDonald's? She's going to sue him for not earning a higher wage? Really...¬¬

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

clearly you demand more than you expect to get , and throw in a few threats for good measure

of interest in the initial dispute between  Boston Common and CK re his worth to the company :

his exit has resulted in a possibly significant reduction in revenue and corporate value to Boston Common.

however  reading back several outbursts ago , that value began to fall perhaps a few years prior to his departure  

maybe finally churn and saturation had been taking their toll ?

how many times does anyone want to buy the same Rx ?

Picked up a copy of the most recent Cooks' Illustrated  while I had time to kill in the drugstore the other day and couldn't even be bothered to do more than flip through it quickly and put it down. It seems just so, so dated. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@ElsieD  

I think you mean  the Test Kitchen.   Its far from clear there will be any CC in the future, as least in the format of the past.

Ive watched two Test Kitchen eps, broadcast in my local area.

the on screen cast seemed very hyper to me for some reason.  I don't personally miss CK , as he seems to add little if anything at all to the show.

and his Tasting Skits were abysmal  and stupid.

the show and the magazine both seem to have run their course.

I think people want something w more depth and information.

at least enough of them to allow the Test Kitchen to begin to crumble.

the Cast Iron show trivialized creating a non-stick surface on new cast iron.  w the advent of the internet and

so may YouTube vids and quality cooking sites    :  a tablespoon of vegetable oil doesn't cut the mustard.

the New Twins humor falls flat and adds nothing to the creation of the dish.

I wish I knew more of the Economics of these shows on PBS.

I do know that many of the before-noon cooking shows on Saturdays are offered to PBS for free.

as a way of creating business buzz for those conglomerates  

Edited by rotuts (log)

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD  

I think you mean  the Test Kitchen.   Its far from clear there will be any CC in the future, as least in the format of the past.

Ive watched two Test Kitchen eps, broadcast in my local area.

the on screen cast seemed very hyper to me for some reason.  I don't personally miss CK , as he seems to add little if anything at all to the show.

and his Tasting Skits were abysmal  and stupid.

the show and the magazine both seem to have run their course.

I think people want something w more depth and information.

at least enough of them to allow the Test Kitchen to begin to crumble.

the Cast Iron show trivialized creating a non-stick surface on new cast iron.  w the advent of the internet and

so may YouTube vids and quality cooking sites    :  a tablespoon of vegetable oil doesn't cut the mustard.

Thank you.  You are right and I fixed it.

• 3 years later...

CBS Sunday Morning had a look at the latest incarnation of America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country:

Here is the URL for those who can't watch the embedded video:

https://youtu.be/IVZ35lM3ovw

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been a fan since the very beginning and I continue to this day.  I watch every episode and subscribe to their web-magazines.   ATK and CC are still my favorite cooking shows.

Don't get the print magazines anymore though.

Edited by lindag (log)

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Well, dang it all, th ank you for posting this but us Canadians aren't allowed to watch it.  What is the gist of it?

Shows the exhaustive testing they do. Nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Well, dang it all, th ank you for posting this but us Canadians aren't allowed to watch it.  What is the gist of it?

If you get ExpressVPN or any VPN service you can set your location to the US and watch all those forbidden videos!

Just google VPN if you are not familiar with how it works.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

If you get ExpressVPN or any VPN service you can set your location to the US and watch all those forbidden videos!

Just google VPN if you are not familiar with how it works.

Opera browser even includes one for free, which is very easy to use.

• Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning