• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen - contract dispute

curls

@IndyRob. You're absolutely right- fiduciary responsibility is the key phrase.  They should have a field day in court, what with poaching employees, product, and tv station involvement.  There are 2 legal firms looking to build their summer properties out of this.

• Like 4

Nasty.

I love it.

they will settle after a point.   remember CK feels his Ego was walked over.  Don't lawyers just love Ego ?

those properties will have docks and Big Boats.

CK give up the Cooks' Country Hacienda.  he fully departs CTK.  they buy his ' interests '  out     'he keeps all the rest.

W/O the country hacienda there is no Cook's Country.  that's what they are after.

that's 1/2 of ATK's fortune.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2016 at 11:08 AM, Anna N said:

Strikes me as being contrary just for the sake of being contrary.  The Chinese do know a few flavour enhancing tricks!

I bought this issue and I can't agree with you more, Anna.  Almost every article advises you to radically change the way you've been cooking.  I might try a couple of the ideas, but there was really nothing in the magazine that made me want to get in the kitchen.  

Stupid, frivolous lawsuit! 9_9

If ATK is so great, why don't they man up and kick CK's ass COMPETITIVELY!!!! ;)

I'm still waiting for my free charter issue of CK's Milk Street Magazine! o.O

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

CK owns a significant slice of ATK.  but no longer a majority interest.

Im sure his compensation comes from that interest.

they clearly want him gone, and this , in ATK's view  is a way to do it.

both interests have fairly deep pockets.  at least much much deeper than mine.

this is all Huff and Puff and Posturing.  its about Who has the Better ' Equipment '

lawyers love this.  Its Free Money !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

PS   neither of these two groups will probably spend a dime of their own money on this

it will come from the various investors in each Cabal and they will have no say in the matter.

lawyers love this even more !

""  be happy or be Right "

complicated things are often simple :  they won't be spending their own money , taking a page out of The Book of WellsFargo.

if they do spend their own money , they have no understanding what so ever of its actual value.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

If I was Jack Bishop I would push CK off the roof of the rustic barn he pretended to live in. Or into the pig pen, Deadwood style. Swidgen! 

I really know nothing about this, but have always disliked CK and his inflated ego. I watched ATK a few times, but never cared for it much. Bridget was cute. Jack was sweet. Once upon a time I made the mistake of trying to get a free year's subscription to CI just to see what it was like by submitting a quick trick idea. They went for it and I got my subscription. After a year of that boring self-satisfied magazine I was happy not to subscribe, but CI hounded me with unwanted emails for several years, no matter how many times I asked them to forget about me, unsubscribe me, etc. The ATK philosophy boiled down to: "We are genius, you know nothing, do what we say, and never imagine that we will give you even one free recipe on line."

Okay, so I exaggerate a bit. And I've wasted brain cells on thinking about it. And now I swear I am not going to look at this thread ever again.

• Like 4

I think it could be 100 times more entertaining than ATK.   If I had any links in the TV world I'd apply now to start producing a miniseries.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

nice   thanks @Dave the Cook

in my personal experience , if you need to Get Out Front

your not paying enough attention to your Derry Air !

Love it !

some one or it Conglomerate Investors

is Worried !

would not all of us  { ed.:  just rotuts ]

love to see all the players and all the layers  " Miked Up "

for some WikiWiki in the future  ?

I would

Guacamole and Chips all around !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

so they say    ...

no complait would ever tell the truth

Huff   Puff  etc

looking forward to see how this resolves

aftrer all the local media has been given a Free Lunch  and a few Cocktails !

better than a Tree fallen on a car  in Dorchester !

no fatalities BTW    

and yes   that's Local News !

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, GlorifiedRice said:

I cant even watch CK show anymore cause I keep hearing the voices in Kimballs head saying "Im taking this technique with me when I leave!"

There are several ways to view this:

Should we (him) 'unlearn' what we've 'learned' because lots of money and such is involved? Aren't these shows SUPPOSED to be about learning, anyway?

Much of what was 'revealed' on ATK wasn't all that unique.

Etc., etc. etc.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

49 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

There are several ways to view this:

Should we (him) 'unlearn' what we've 'learned' because lots of money and such is involved? Aren't these shows SUPPOSED to be about learning, anyway?

Much of what was 'revealed' on ATK wasn't all that unique.

Etc., etc. etc.

It was unique to me...at least the geeky chemistry things.

I had a 180 opinion when I thought Kimball started Cooks Kitchen/ATK. but now that I know he didnt I feel hes a theif.

Hes akin to Yoyomax on Youtube who has monetized her youtube and never cooks a single ORIGINAL recipe, its all from books and magazines! It seemed that Kimball watched everyone else cook and then bitched about spicy food.

• Like 2

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

More info on the continuing saga of ATK v. Chris Kimball:

"Chris Kimball pushes back at America’s Test Kitchen, claims he was forced out"

The slugfest comes at a precarious time for both sides, with Kimball getting Milk Street off the ground this fall and America’s Test Kitchen soldiering on without its former star. ATK argues that it was forced to file its lawsuit after it became clear that Kimball’s new venture would be a direct competitor, including the launch of a magazine that resembled ATK’s Cook’s Illustrated.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

nice

thanks for the link.

the lawyers will be increasing the size of their Yachts , 

personally , the current ATK bit off a lot more than they are going to chew.

CK's story rings a bit more true.  ATK's in the Deep Dooo Doooo  

Id say