• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen - contract dispute

curls

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

ATK did mention SV quite a while  ago :   when the SVSupreme was King and very little else out there :they showed a SVSupreme off but didn't cook anything out of it. did their usual wincing at the price.

But the price has come down now, It's less than an an actual oven.  Not that it matters to CK, he still echews a microwave,

5 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Just got an email, Mr. Kimball is doing a live show. He will be at the Mesa Arts Center,  Mesa, AZ Thursday September 22. Tickets are $100 each, which is pretty high for this venue. IIRC, Alton Brown was $35 per person in the same theater earlier this year.

That's kind of nuts. Unless its a benefit of some sort.

He didn't get to be worth 20 million by not taking a big slice of the pie!  For all his "shucks, I"m just a country boy" patter, he is one sharp operator.  Maybe everyone is the audience will get an autographed bow tie?

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

Sure. And he comes across as having a stick up his ass. You'd have to pay me a helluva lot of money to work for him (not that anyone has asked me to xD).

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh.  It's as if he wants to be known as the historian for a simpler, perhaps long lost, New England way of life.  Pick one: write or cook.  I don't remember the very early editions of CI as having these essays in the front that were a hallmark of the later years.  I do remember, when reading those first few issues, that I felt like I was reading the cooking equivalent of Consumer Reports, where someone researched (too) many ways to cook a dish and reported the results.  Those early issues were interesting, and a few friends subscribed and we'd talk about what they did and cook the dishes to compare their taste to our own.  I still use one or two of the recipes now (the rice pudding comes to mind) and someone got me one of the year-end books as a holiday gift.  But then they started sounding presumptuous, and repeating topics; and then there was a book, and another book, and the TV show, and ... and ugh. Enough already.  Just retire!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Cook's Country Season 9 has started on PBS.  and yep   Ck is still on that show.

I was under the impression that  CC was taped in the early spring for broadcast in the late summer / early fall , i.e. now.

and ATK was filmed in the winter for broadcast in the Spring.

guess not.   there have been  ' e-mail' ads abut ATK's new hosts   but nothing yet on CC.

Im wondering if CK has a majority if hot whole interest in the VT Cook's  house / fan / studio  so that presents a future issue.

those PBS's  structures are a bit Loosey-Goosey tax wise Id bet, being  ' deductible-ish '

suprise.gif

info sent to me :

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3495156

guess the ' set ' for CC is owned and rented out by CK

so should there be another CC cooking show , it might be filmed someplace else

or this site and set might become  CK's second PBS show after the nest one , filmed in BOS  and I guess nameless so far.

" Country Cooking  w CK "

and yes   this is just s curiosity 

Am I missing something?  That kitchen doesn't look like what I recall from the show.  Anyway, we've rented a couple of VRBO type places in VT recently and that is not outrageous - except that it sleeps 12 and has 1 bathroom.  My guess is that you could get a really fabulous places in that price range with 3+ bathrooms.  I can't imagine why 2 families or 3 couples opt for it over other choices.

you have to scroll down father to see the actual number of baths   ( 2 1/2 )   for some reason the upper part is wrong

it actually suggests there are no bedrooms

one of the shots shows the kitchen that is actually used on the show to the background of the dinning room

the ' prep - area ' you see on the show  , where ' test - cooks ' cook is not shown in the series of pics

maybe its closed off for rental.

33 minutes ago, rustwood said:

Am I missing something?  That kitchen doesn't look like what I recall from the show.  Anyway, we've rented a couple of VRBO type places in VT recently and that is not outrageous - except that it sleeps 12 and has 1 bathroom.  My guess is that you could get a really fabulous places in that price range with 3+ bathrooms.  I can't imagine why 2 families or 3 couples opt for it over other choices.

What is VRBO?

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

you have to scroll down father to see the actual number of baths   ( 2 1/2 )   for some reason the upper part is wrong

it actually suggests there are no bedrooms

one of the shots shows the kitchen that is actually used on the show to the background of the dinning room

the ' prep - area ' you see on the show  , where ' test - cooks ' cook is not shown in the series of pics

maybe its closed off for rental.

OK, so that does seem to be a fairly priced rental.  Clearly I was missing something - I didn't even notice the 0 bedrooms.  I was thinking of the missing prep area.  Maybe it is sealed off - or even in another location (the magic of TV).

maybe.

I think they clear out the dinning room furniture  and then tape the cooking on that counter you see.

the doors are open to the other kitchen area behind.

any way .....

Cook's in the Country !  bye bye

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a copy of his new magazine, and let's just say that maybe he should stick to living off his buyout money instead of writing about food he doesn't know anything about.

PS.  The reason why we obsess over chicken skin is because fat carries flavor.

IMG_0004-001.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

You can read a sample article by clicking on the picture.

• Like 1

Strikes me as being contrary just for the sake of being contrary.  The Chinese do know a few flavour enhancing tricks!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thanks for posting this.

there is a tremendous market for products like this.  Im sure it will do well.

people still want something ' in - hand '  

and the format he invented  : no ads etc  makes it appeal to many.

there is a lot of disposable income around, he's only trying to Wet his Beak    over and over and over again.

im sure one library in my library's system will subscribe.  save at least 10 people  XX.xx / years

BTW   how much is a subscription ?