• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electrolux EBSL70SP Combi-Steam Oven

rotuts

Host's note: this topic was split from the All about "sous vide" eggs topic.

nice PedroG Combi is the way to go

I could not find any info on the Electrolux EBSL70SP  on line in english

would you post some info on it, size, pics etc ?:

congratulations !

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

Hi rotuts

Here is a link to the user manual: http://www.electrolux-ui.com//DocumentDownLoad.aspx?DocURL=2014\867\302376umEN.pdf

And here is a picture.

Dimensions are Height 594 x Width 594 x Depth 567 mm

Trays are 385 x 465 mm

The sous vide function is full steam with temperature settings in 1°C increments from 50°C to 95°C. Temperature is controlled by modifying the interval between steam injections.

Here are temperature stability measurements:

Electrolux EBSL70SP sous vide Temperaturstabilität_55.jpg

Electrolux EBSL70SP sous vide Temperaturstabilität_75.jpg

• Like 1

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

on pp 38 of the manual it states that the volume is 71 L.

if Ive done the conversion correctly ( for comparison purposes )   that 2.5 cubic feet.

the home steam ovens ive read about available in the US  run 1.5 to 1.7 c.f.

so your is notably larger !

I wonder why this Electrolux is not available in the US   that's a significant difference is usefulness Id say.

it seems that it would hold an American 1/2 sheet pan with room to spare.

Edited by rotuts (log)

its a shame that EX does not make an optional stainless steel enclosure, so this oven could be placed on top of a sturdy table

Id consider it.  I just move my NerveCenter    i.e. the AlexiaPID and grinder etc

of interest in the Manual :

pp 21  type of water to use :

" Warning :  Use only cold tap water.  Do not use filtered ( demineralized ) or distilled water "

there is a section on how to de-scale the oven, but why would you not use de-calcififed water ?

is there some ionic component in its control of the water reservoir ?

of interest in the Manual :

pp 21  type of water to use :

" Warning :  Use only cold tap water.  Do not use filtered ( demineralized ) or distilled water "

there is a section on how to de-scale the oven, but why would you not use de-calcififed water ?

is there some ionic component in its control of the water reservoir ?

If the water is too pure it will have a corrosive effect on the pipes, given enough time. I wouldn't expect bottled distilled water or filtered water to be that pure, but truly de-ionized water would be. Do you suppose they're just erring on the side of caution?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If the water is too pure it will have a corrosive effect on the pipes, given enough time. I wouldn't expect bottled distilled water or filtered water to be that pure, but truly de-ionized water would be.

Could you explain this?

Could you explain this?

I wish I could, but I don't remember the chemistry behind it. I am providing the concise summary of the reason behind the elaborate water treatment needed for my former employer's power house.  The process began with very clean water, filtered it further, de-ionized it and then added certain carefully selected ionic compounds to prevent corrosion of the boiler tubes.  If more thorough information comes back to me I'll PM you (and anyone else who asks) with more information. I was very surprised to learn that water can be too pure to be good for equipment such as boilers!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The best explanation that I've come upon for the relatively recent guidance to avoid distilled water in steam irons is to avoid producing superheated water (due to the lack of nucleation sites) that could bump and spray the user with steam when the iron is moved. 

I would think that the average home iron, even if refilled with purified water,  would end up with enough particulates or surface irregularities inside that this is unlikely but perhaps not.

And I wouldn't think the oven would be subject to the sort of movement that an iron would but maybe everyone is just being very careful lest they be sued.  

Could you explain this?

Google "hungry water" or "reverse osmosis corrosion."  Both of those will return topics on how water that is "too pure" -- in regards to alkalinity or hardness -- can strip minerals out of metal piping.

The manufacturer of our kitchen faucet will void the warranty if attached to a reverse osmosis system...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Huh.

So ideally, one would have water that is a saturated soln with whatever metals are in the pipes so that it doesn't leach out metal from the pipes.

I didn't google long and hard, just enough to get the premise. I still don't know if this issue is conjecture or actually a proven problem. The solubility of metals in water is low enough that I could imagine that a pipe would last generations before a problem arose. For what its worth, our house is > 200 yrs old and has been plumbed for about 100 yrs. The old pipes aren't corroded, if anything they are clogged with iron and perhaps calcium deposits.

• Like 1

PedroG suggested he would contact EX and let us know.

the price of the oven is about  $ 2,200 to 2,600  or so.

a bargain Id say for the space it has.

now about the EX  'box' to put it in so I can live on a very sturdy table  ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

I just had a phone call from Electrolux Switzerland:

1. So far Electrolux combi-steam-ovens are not represented in the USA; Model EBSL70 is brandnew.

2. Regarding tap water instead of distilled or demineralized water they sent the question to the factory, we may have to wait a few weeks for the answer.

• Like 1

eG Ethics Signatory

• 1 month later...

Now finally I got the answers from Electrolux:

• Model EBSL70 is not marketed in the US and there are no plans to do so later.
  • Demineralized water is aggressive and may influence corrosion of certain parts.

I am now doing sous vide for a few hours in the steamer, for longer cooking times I still use my SVM/FMM.

• Like 2

eG Ethics Signatory

what a shame its not coming to the USA

esp. if it had its own ELX 'container' so it could sit on a sturdy table rather than be built in

I would find a way to have one

the 'aggressiveness' of demineralized water is interesting, Ill have to test the pH of the water out of the Brita

I wonder if that's what they meant ?