• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine rack design

AlaMoi

did a search & scanned the topics - so if I missed something good, point me to it.....

we do not drink wine on a daily basis; but we like it.

I'm thinking to build a wine rack in the basement (reasonably stable temp)

not keen on the X box / divider style - although it does make for max flexibility.

so I'm looking at horizontal storage or rails with cut-out 'dips' - or pegs - or . . . .

the design question is "what are the dimensions of a wine bottle?"

obviously they are similar - one option is to take a rule & calipers down to the store -

anyone have any industry insight into diameter / height / distance round-to-shoulder type data?

I bought some real reason able wine racks at Houston Wire Works.. a lttle fwi

http://hwwwire1.site.aplus.net/cgi-bin/mivavm?/Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=06130&Category_Code=WRC&Store_Code=HWW

The 144  was only about   130 bucks  I have 4  and they work great..just sayin.  I have custom racking too.

but these awesome

Its good to have Morels

that is attractive price wise -

I'm looking more on the 4-6 case / 36-54 bottle range

what is the wire "box" spacing / size / dimension?  obviously they've done the research to make it "fit" most everything...

Edited by AlaMoi (log)

Different types of wines use bottles of different dimensions. For instance, a Burgundy bottle will have a larger diameter than a Bordeaux botle. And a German Riesling will be skinnier and taller than either of those...

that is attractive price wise -

I'm looking more on the 4-6 case / 36-54 bottle range

what is the wire "box" spacing / size / dimension?  obviously they've done the research to make it "fit" most everything...

Inside Diameter  ---   4 x 4 by  6 " deep

Holds Pinot ( Burg ) and Cab  ( BdX ) bottles fine!!

Remember.. your bottle should tip down slightly

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Here is the Look!!

22915999481_d2c04e4acc_k.jpg

Maybe consider a wine cooler  from Wine enthusiasts  Too 

Good luck  ... Doc Paully

The  front is square and the back is slotted so,  bottles wont fall through

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

appreciate the input. 

I'm thinking a back rail with dowel uprights as a separator, a front rail with 'round notches' for the neck, cork down....

all that said.... a flat of concrete reinforcing mesh, a loaf of bread, chunk of cheese, can of spray paint . . . could make for a real quick&dirty solution.  that I over build/engineer/think things is not a thought my DW would contest....

last century I did a consulting job for a big-name winery.  I remember they had nine sizes of shipping cases (more, but those nine were 99.9999999999999999%) of the volume.  but, unclever me - I never inquired about the bottles inside....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)

well

Ive and the wire racks and have built my own from wood

Ive had a few cases of wine

in my basement over time

a few

if you don't drink that much wine or drink a lot

just keep the boxes you buy, in the sealed box  on their sides

and above the 'water level ' in your basement

you can not stack wine cases on their sides that high, but two or three will be fine if you stager then

its about the wine

eventually you can make something that looks good

id does not even need to look good for starters because the key to wine in your basement is you want to forget about it

or you will drink it

nothing wrong with drinking the wine, so in that case  (  :laugh: )

you can leave them 'upright'

get a good price on what you might like

get more than you think if you can afford it

then leave them alone for a bit

Check this out...pick your size...http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/regency-wine-rack.html

I'm VERY happy with the REGENCY,  Metro-style shelving products I've bought.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

thanks for the lead - these will live in the basement; a stainless metro style rack would be a consideration but plated is not likely to resist the higher humidity.  the basement is dry - no water intrusion - and I run a dehumidifier in the summer - but here is 90-90 land in summer.....