• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper Kitchen Sink

gulfporter

We moved to this house 2 years ago.  The appliances are white (the fridge and d/w are new).  

The existing sink is white. Its finish is worn and it stains easily and we want to replace it.

Our counter top is a dark granite with mostly browns, blacks and beige tones.  

I am considering a hammered copper sink...it's not shiny copper, it's antiqued and is a bronze color.  Here's a link to one that meets our specs and price point.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SINKOLOGY-Raphael-Dual-Mount-Handmade-Pure-Solid-Copper-33-in-4-Hole-Double-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-in-Antique-Copper-KDF-3322AH/206084556

While aesthetically, I think this sink will work well, I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on its practicality.    

from the use&care section:

DO NOT use strong abrasive cleaners, metal scrub pads, or steel wool.
These will scratch the surface.

DO NOT leave rubber mats or sponges inside the sink. Water trapped
below could lead to stains.

DO NOT let food, dishes, toothpaste or pots and pans sit inside the
copper sink for prolonged periods of time.

DO NOT allow chlorine bleach in contact with your Copper sink. It will
remove the patina and drastically alter the finish of your sink.

DO NOT allow drain cleaners to come into contact with the sink
surface.

plain ole' copper-working-on-a-natural-patina would work for me - but with the fake coloration / etc, doesn't sound like a practical solution for a sink.

• Like 3

We really don't do any of the above.  There's only the two of us and we're both pretty tidy.  We don't mind having to be a bit fussy over something we like.

The customer reviews for this sink are very good on both Amazon and Home Depot.  One mentioned getting some 'greening' but to me that's natural and we like that patina.  

One of the reviews said hammered copper (like this one) is better for a kitchen sink than the smooth surfaced ones. 

I haven't read anything that scares me away yet.  

I'll do more research but still hoping for firsthand accounts from other owners.

it is so pretty what faucet are you thinking of to go with it ? is there a window over you sink what will be behind it? just curious  about the whole presentation of the sink if you do not mind sharing?  ..I went screaming and running away from those.but they are pretty!   function vs form ..it is a happy accident the whole thing is looking so lovely..I wanted copper in the kitchen badly it is so pretty .but I am abusive and untidy .. so no way would that sink work for me but if you are more for form and the eye appeal of course get what you want and that is just so pretty! ..what am I missing in single sinks?  the past few years it is all I see people putting in but wondered why folks are drawn to them over a double ? 

I had go to with a triple because of the health dept rules when renting rooms for a B and B you must have two one with a triple sink …so I may just put a single sink in the other mini kitchen if there are reasons I should ? 

good luck with your choice 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

"hammering" causes "work hardening" - which makes the copper less prone to bending, etc (copper is rather soft) - so that's a good tip.

the same effect can be produce by careful heat treating - and frankly I'm rather dubious that kind of "deep drawing" - creating the depth of the sink from a flat sheet.... is "handwork" - more like a 50 ton stamping press.

I appreciate your 'we're fussy about it' approach - it would not work for me - but that's why the world goes a round and doesn't go a square....

There are a lot of bronze colored fixtures that match the sink color.  

Yes large window behind the sink, and a bright spotlight over the sink which we tend to leave on during evening hours anyway, so that'll highlight the sink as well. 

Frankly, if we had gone stainless in this kitchen, I wouldn't consider the copper sink as I think it would clash with stainless, but others may disagree.  

I think the copper will go well with our white appliances, countertop granite, our light oak cabinets and our terra cotta paint.  

I should mention that we have had 'different' sinks before....at a previous residence, our kitchen had all stainless appliances.  The sink was in the island and it was bright red.  It was a beautiful kitchen and I think having an unusual sink is a good thing, rather than just matching everything else in the kitchen.

Edited by gulfporter (log)

Does its thickness matter?  I seem to recall reading that thin sinks are super noisy when banging around pots and pans in there.

Yes it matters.  Should be gauge 16 or lower.  The one we are looking at is 14 gauge (the smaller the number, the thicker the copper).  

Copper is reactive and can also poison you given enough of it. I wouldn't trust it for a kitchen sink. Maybe in a powder room that didn't get a lot of traffic, but not a kitchen.

Poison!!  Really!!   Seems a bit specious, given I don't plan to eat from it.  

I've read that copper is naturally anti-bacterial.   

In the presence of water, electrolysis will occur between two dissimilar metals. 

In other words, you are actually making a battery, and one of the two metals will be corroded.

By the way,almost all domestic water supply goes through copper piping. No problem with toxicity.

dcarch

• Like 1

My friend has a copper kitchen sink and loves it. She is careful to not leave cut lemons and other citrus in it as it will remove the patina.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Poisoning from copper used to be more common back when people used a lot of copper cookware, and those trying to economize on getting it re-tinned would use pans with partially worn linings or no lining. As pans made of other metals became more common at the end of the Victorian era, incidences went down. Still, some of the symptoms we associate with aging are due to a long term buildup of copper in our systems. HERE's the Wikipedia page on copper toxicity.

I agree with rotuts on this one.

Over the years I have had many different types of kitchen sink; from white cast iron to silgranite in both black and white to black cast iron.  Now I have stainless again and I won't ever go back to the other kinds (I've not had copper).

If I were replacing my sink again I'd go with the very best stainless available...they now have a new type that resists spotting and stays shiny, that's what I'd want.

My sink is still nice but it takes a bit of work to make it look really nice, over time the finish has dulled from scratching and I can't bet the 'new' look back.  Still, it beats any of the other sinks I had before.

I've had stainless sinks in two houses; they're fine.  

But I want a bit more of statement in this kitchen, so I'm going with the copper.  

Probably will wait till after the holidays for the install.  

• Like 1

Sounds like you've done all your research and will enjoy having a beautiful copper sink in your kitchen.  I also love the idea of a red sink, like you used to have, but I don't think I could keep it looking shiny enough!

Feel free to ignore this (as mentioned, you've clearly done your research) but on a double-bowl sink, I really prefer the 60-40 style where the bowl on the non-disposer side is larger and deeper.  

I also really, really prefer an undermount sink but that's probably not an option for a replacement sink.  And you probably wouldn't have the issue of crumbs/crud collecting at the sink lip that poor, messy souls like myself experience!  

I hope we'll get to see a picture of the new sink when you get it.  

Sounds like you've done all your research and will enjoy having a beautiful copper sink in your kitchen.  I also love the idea of a red sink, like you used to have, but I don't think I could keep it looking shiny enough!

Feel free to ignore this (as mentioned, you've clearly done your research) but on a double-bowl sink, I really prefer the 60-40 style where the bowl on the non-disposer side is larger and deeper.  

I also really, really prefer an undermount sink but that's probably not an option for a replacement sink.  And you probably wouldn't have the issue of crumbs/crud collecting at the sink lip that poor, messy souls like myself experience!  

I hope we'll get to see a picture of the new sink when you get it.  

I agree with you on the 60/40, that's our current set up.  Alas, at our price point, this one will be a true double (though all my prior double sinks were 50/50, so we will readjust quickly).  

Yeah, we're both neat-freaks, often wish we weren't, but that's just the way we are.  

We ordered it yesterday and it'll be here before TDay, but my DH i(aka, The Installer) is traveling a lot these days on family business, so we're saying it's a post-holiday project.  Want to take some time to decide on a new faucet after the sink is here.  

I made my husband (the plumber) read this. His comments: "if they are really neat freaks it should be ok. In our house it would not last a year."  That's more a comment on me than on the sink!

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina