• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

left butter out of ingredient list

I've got homemade limecello that I plan to bottle up.  Also the lime-ginger marmalade that I made recently.  Not sure what else to add.  There are lots of limes on my tree so I could go with an all-lime theme and make some lime cookies or something.  I saw a recipe for pineapple preserve with rosemary that I thought sounded good.

Not sure if I will do fruitcake this year or not.  If so, I had best get at it.  

rotuts - I usually riff off this basic fruitcake recipe which may help with time/temp estimates for fruitcakes.  I usually use dried fruits instead of candied except I do use candied citrus peels and ginger.   I usually plump the dried fruits a bit first by steaming so they are not too dry.

I did one with dried pineapple and mango, candied orange peel, coconut and macadamia nuts that was very good.   I like half brandy, half Grand Marnier (or Gran Gala) for my alcohol dose.

Southern Delight Fruitcake

1 lb candied cherries
1 lb candied pineapple
1 lb pecans
1 1/2 cup butter
2 c. sugar
6 eggs
3 c flour
4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Brandy

Cut up fruit and nuts, add 1 c. flour.
Mix well, let stand
Cream butter, add sugar, 1 c. at a time. Add salt, vanilla and mix well.
Add fruit and nuts and mix well.
Pour batter into 2 regular sized loaf pans or multiple smaller pans, lightly greased with butter and lined with parchment paper.
Bake 2.5 - 3 hrs (gas 250 deg, electric 275 deg) with a pan of water in the oven.  Test w/ toothpick after 2.5 hrs.  If not sticky, it's done.  Do not overcook.
Sprinkle cakes with brandy and let cake cool completely before removing from pan.  Wrap cakes in cheesecloth, sprinkle with brandy and wrap tightly with foil and place in zip-lock bags.  Repeat brandy treatment every few days for about 2 weeks and let age another 2-4 weeks or longer.
blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I've got homemade limecello that I plan to bottle up.  Also the lime-ginger marmalade that I made recently.  Not sure what else to add.  There are lots of limes on my tree so I could go with an all-lime theme and make some lime cookies or something.  I saw a recipe for pineapple preserve with rosemary that I thought sounded good.

Not sure if I will do fruitcake this year or not.  If so, I had best get at it.  

rotuts - I usually riff off this basic fruitcake recipe which may help with time/temp estimates for fruitcakes.  I usually use dried fruits instead of candied except I do use candied citrus peels and ginger.   I usually plump the dried fruits a bit first by steaming so they are not too dry.

I did one with dried pineapple and mango, candied orange peel, coconut and macadamia nuts that was very good.   I like half brandy, half Grand Marnier (or Gran Gala) for my alcohol dose.

​Southern Delight Fruitcake

1 lb candied cherries
1 lb candied pineapple
1 lb pecans
2 c. sugar
6 eggs
3 c flour
4 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Brandy

Cut up fruit and nuts, add 1 c. flour.
Mix well, let stand
Cream butter, add sugar, 1 c. at a time. Add salt, vanilla and mix well.
Add fruit and nuts and mix well.
Pour batter into 2 regular sized loaf pans or multiple smaller pans, lightly greased with butter and lined with parchment paper.
Bake 2.5 - 3 hrs (gas 250 deg, electric 275 deg) with a pan of water in the oven.  Test w/ toothpick after 2.5 hrs.  If not sticky, it's done.  Do not overcook.
Sprinkle cakes with brandy and let cake cool completely before removing from pan.  Wrap cakes in cheesecloth, sprinkle with brandy and wrap tightly with foil and place in zip-lock bags.  Repeat brandy treatment every few days for about 2 weeks and let age another 2-4 weeks or longer.