• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ravioli Rolling Pins?

Paul Bacino

Looking to make ravioli for the holidays!!

For about 20 people.

I have a tray maker  <  the aluminium type.  But seems slow,  So I was thinking rolling pin types.

Looking for 1 1/2-2 " maker

I looked a Repast

http://www.repastsupplyco.com/products/

But looking for suggestions?

Its good to have Morels

In my limited experience at quicker ravioli - say, with a roller attachment to my pasta maker - I've had problems with the filling getting squeezed in the wrong places and preventing a good seal. It may well be operator error (as in, newbie technique) but I've been afraid to try a ravioli rolling pin for the same reason. There must be a trick to it that I don't know. If you get one, please post about how well it works.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I managed to get a couple of the rolling pins last year at Home Goods, I haven't been able to test them out yet. The price was good, though.

Another idea might be to simply go larger -make the round kind with a basic kitchen cutter. If they are large, they are easier to seal and handle. And, you'd only need 3-4 per person if you can control how it's portioned for service.

I didn't want to chime in, but well......

I did have a delicious home made ravioli phase.   I enjoyed it.  My fillings were, of course the best

I did the counter roll out  etc and that worked fine.

I did have one of these rollers, a decent one, but practical

it is indeed difficult to line every thing up.  you can, but that;s time, in my opinion not well spent.

my cousin sent me one of those aluminum or steel template things.  they in the end work much better if time is a concern.

they do not fail, and if you get into it  you might like it.

Practice, Practice, etc

just to fill you in on the Best Ravioli Filling Ever

confirmed by many hungry friends Back Then :

there was book have some where  :

The Frog Commissary CookBook

I had been in Phil, PA for several months and went there .. NIce

they had an Rx for Wings.   20  or more so ingredients.  I made these

in a shallow pan and baked them until Unctuous 

i.e. the marinade became very reduced.

they were a hit   I had left overs

you say :  not so good were they ? who ever heard of delicious chicken wings lelt overs

I say I saved about 2 doz.

then later I stripped every thing off the bone, crispy skin   everyghing

then used this for a filling of home made ravioli.

I love Filled Pasta.  Love it.   this was in a different dimension not charred.  and outstanding.

FD  filled pasted is pretty outstanding, so in this case, it was that different taste in the filling.

Id use the 'mould' and do them early or get some help.

or get the 'roller' and figure it out

for all of us

just saying