• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Split order from Chef Rubber--anyone have this happen to them?

Edward J

I've dealt with Chef rubber for about 5 years now, but I've never had "split" deliveries before.

A few weeks ago I ordered a handfull of items: 1 Red fat soluable colour, 1 glitter powder, 1 can freeze spray, 2 replacement Matfer thermometers, and 3 chocolate molds.  I ordered by phone and the service was polite and professional.  I asked if there was any issues with shipping the freeze spray, no none. I chose regular ground shipping, and my Mastercard was debited.

Tuesday I get a package from Chefrubber and right away I noticed two things.  The first was that the package was sent from Fredicksberg Texas, and the second was that the package contained only the colour and freeze spray.  No invoice was included, and no information other than US customs information.

Today I get another package from Chef Rubber, from Las Vegas, This contained the other items and the invoice plus a label on the box declaring it a "split shipment".  The box was large enough to cantain all the items, but was stuffed with paper.

Without knowing CHefrubber had a warehouse in Texas, I couldn't know that the shipment would be split, and I couldn't request for NO split shipments.  This information--or the possibility of split shipments was never offered in my phone conversation when I ordered.  The thing that peeves me off is that I got dinged twice for shipping, and when that package goes over the border, the cost goes up dramatically.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? 

I haven't had that happen with them but I haven't ordered from them recently. The few times I ordered from them in the past, the shipping cost to Canada was so outrageously out of line with anywhere else I order from that, despite them having many things I'd like to order, I had to quit ordering from them for that reason. If that has changed (it's been over 5 years since I ordered from them), I'd be happy to know about it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

When you placed the order did they tell you how much the shipping charges would be?  If so did the cost for shipping the 2 separate parcels equal what they told you or was it different?  If they told you up front how much the shipping was going to be and they just split that up to give you the 2 shipments you don't have a complaint.  If on the other hand shipping cost for each order with what they told you when you're actually placed it you should definitely call and complain!  Many times companies which maintain multiple warehouses will ship parts of your order from different ones due to product availability but when they do they will charge you the shipping costs as if it was only coming from one of them.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I haven't had that happen with them but I haven't ordered from them recently. The few times I ordered from them in the past, the shipping cost to Canada was so outrageously out of line with anywhere else I order from that, despite them having many things I'd like to order, I had to quit ordering from them for that reason. If that has changed (it's been over 5 years since I ordered from them), I'd be happy to know about it.

I live in Alaska and the shipping is usualy as much as whatever I'm ordering. I mentioned that to them and they told me I could call and place my order over the phone and they would ship slow boat for way cheaper. I have done it a couple times and it has owrked out each time.

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

• 3 weeks later...