• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you consider a nice gratuity for doing the normal services for a guest staying three or four nights; i.e. a handful of lunch and dinner reservatons (one or two desireable ones included); phoning several shops to ask questions; giving directions a couple of times of day, phoning for a cab four or five times, and giving a half a dozen miscellaneous suggestions for eating, shopping, drinking, sightseeing,etc.?

Good question, Robert, I was waiting for this one to come up!

My answer is that there is no "right" amount.

I once had a client come to the desk and ask for "Le Figaro", which was promptly given to him.

He handed me 500 FF , and said, "Buy yourself a coffee". For him, this amount was surely nothing, and very welcome, however this is a rarity.

Any tip is appreciated. And just a "thank you" is nice as well, although it is very gratifying to receive a healthy tip for a job well done. I have received tips ranging from 20 centimes (sad,but true!) to many hundreds of dollars...

We, at the desk, also share everything as a team...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Perhaps you may be willing to be a bit more specific here. Understanding that there is great variability, what is the average tip for these services, is it $20, $50, or $100. Also, do guests typically tip when a service is rendered, or in total when they checkout?

For restaurant reservations, depending on the complexity of the task, 5,10,or 20 Euros is quite customary..when the tip is given is up to the discretion of the client.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog