• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dumplings/Potstickers/etc. in Stores

LizD518

This is how I do the Minh brand of eggrolls from Costco. 

Place the frozen egg rolls in the air fryer basket and spread out into a single even layer. No oil spray is needed.

Air Fry at 340°F/170°C for 10 minutes. Flip the egg rolls over.

Increase heat to 400°F/205°C and Air Fry for another 2-5 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.

Edited to add that I have a Cosori 5.8 quart so your mileage may vary. 

Edited by Anna N
To add additional information about my own model of air fryer (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Anyone done egg rolls/spring rolls/dumplings? 

I've done just about every frozen egg roll I can find in the stores here.  It depends on the size and shape but 12-15 minutes at 375-400 flipping halfway turns out about right in my air fryer. That will vary a bit depending on the air fryer.  I use parchment liners because egg rolls exude a sticky oily substance than can be a little harder to clean.

My favorites are Pagoda Pork Egg Rolls (best cabbage flavor, IMO) and Good & Gather Chicken Thai Basil Spring Rolls.  Good & Gather is a Target store brand. Chung's Pork Egg Rolls and Minh Pork Egg Rolls are pretty good, too.  I wish I could still get Private Selection Butter Chicken Spring Rolls. Those were great, but they've apparently been discontinued.

Haven't tried pot stickers/gyoza/dumplings in the air fryer yet, but I'm sure I will.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't had a frozen dumpling that I didn't like.  

Pagoda wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, but it was good.  Those are fairly similar to the Wei Chuan dumplings in the previous post.  I like Pagoda's filling a little better and Wei Chuan's wrapper a little better. 

I wouldn't say the Bibigo Japchae potstickers with beef and pork were better than the other dumplings, but they are different enough to make them worthwhile.  I'm enjoying the smallness of dumplings as opposed to the size of egg rolls.  Nice to be able to eat an assortment without feeling stuffed. I'm not very familiar with different types of dumplings, but these were unusual to me in that they don't look like my idea of a dumpling.  They're rectangular and flat.

I liked the Beksul Duru Duru dumplings least of the five I've had, but even those were good.

I went 375° for 9 minutes, flipping halfway, and that was fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Still haven't had a frozen dumpling that I didn't like.  

Pagoda wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, but it was good.  Those are fairly similar to the Wei Chuan dumplings in the previous post.  I like Pagoda's filling a little better and Wei Chuan's wrapper a little better. 

I wouldn't say the Bibigo Japchae potstickers with beef and pork were better than the other dumplings, but they are different enough to make them worthwhile.  I'm enjoying the smallness of dumplings as opposed to the size of egg rolls.  Nice to be able to eat an assortment without feeling stuffed. I'm not very familiar with different types of dumplings, but these were unusual to me in that they don't look like my idea of a dumpling.  They're rectangular and flat.

I liked the Beksul Duru Duru dumplings least of the five I've had, but even those were good.

I went 375° for 9 minutes, flipping halfway, and that was fine.

After some experimenting and filling my freezer with different dumplings, I like pork and leek and pork and vegetable the best.  Bibigo and Pulmuone have thin wrappers which I like and cook up well in the air fryer.

Although, I haven't had in a while Ajinomoto gyoza dumplings were pretty good.  Also like the TJ's Thai shrimp dumplings..

Edited by saluki
Added info (log)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, saluki said:

After some experimenting and filling my freezer with different dumplings, I like pork and leek and pork and vegetable the best.  Bibigo and Pulmuone have thin wrappers which I like and cook up well in the air fryer.

Although, I haven't had in a while Ajinomoto gyoza dumplings were pretty good.  Also like the TJ's Thai shrimp dumplings..

The stores here don't carry many brands and only a few varieties in the brands they do carry.  There are a couple of pork & seafood options, some seafood, some chicken, some vegetable.  I'll probably try those after I've tried the pork dumplings available to me. Haven't seen any Pulmuone or Ajinomoto. I don't have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby.   There's a small Asian grocery store here (without a website to see what they carry) that I'm hoping will have some interesting choices. 

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_20220729_205923.thumb.jpg.5ffa6f5be3ad204843ba36a2b59b167e.jpg

Itsu brand Chicken gyoza, 10 minutes from frozen with a turning over at 5 minutes. 200C on the Air Crisp function.

IMG_20220729_203102.thumb.jpg.d1ee5d6e91db7c03cc01379ff4f4766d.jpg

Pork, same preparation.

The instructions were for 10 minutes shallow fried.

Taste and texture were very good. Crispy, not overcooked!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2