• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Barcelona Trip

gfweb

A quick trip to BCN for business.

The AA business class dinner on the way over was much better than usual. The beef looked to have been cooked sous vide, or at least combi oven. It was a real MR. The salad was tasty. An anomaly.

1738.jpg

Hotel breakfast buffet. I really love the Euro hotel breakfast. If they only had a decebnt bagel...

1742.jpg

1745.jpg

Lunch at a local bar that had its own take on classic tapas. Beer, patatas bravas with mayo and sriracha, fried chicken bits.

1746.jpg

Pre-dinner beer at the hotel

1747.jpg

• Like 6

I had a series of private dinners with menus lovingly selected by my host. First up was a seafood place on the waterfront.

1748.jpg

1749.jpg

1759.jpg

First the tapas. There were many repetitions of these tasty apps.

Tomato toast with Catalan olive oil and barely grilled sardine. Just great!

1750.jpg

Next was local tuna (not shown) followed by croquettes. Seafood on the right, cod on the left.

1753.jpg

Tomato toast with jamon iberico

1755.jpg

Fresh caught hake steak.

1758.jpg

• Like 5

"working" lunch

Appetizers...the ubiquitous jamon iberico and salmon sandwiches and tomato toast

1844.jpg

"noodle paella" apparently a Catalan standard eaten as much as the classic rice dish. It was OK in a rice-a-roni ish way.

I need to learn more about Catalonia. It is a major political issue in the region. Most natives are bilingual, with Catalan being more close to French than Spanish. They just had a secession vote which was nearly 50:50! There's a Catalan president ( not a presidente, which would be too Spanish for their taste) in waiting.

1765.jpg

Pastries for dessert

1852.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

Dinner in the hills that surround the city

1867.jpg

1856.jpg

1857.jpg

Appetizers. Tomato bread...foie with fruit...fried squid...ham...sardines

1859.jpg

1860.jpg

Cheesy urchin. Yuck.

1862.jpg

A local sausage. Beef and veal. Tasty.

1863.jpg

Apple tart with caramel.

1864.jpg

The end to every dinner. A high proof grappa-like drink. Tasted like sweat socks. Foul.

1865.jpg

I preferred this one, only about 80 proof, which was a herbal liquor sort of like Galiano. They said it was what women drink, but my machismo is sufficient to overpower  this flaw in my palate. (Didn't Hemingway drink girly drinks?)

1866.jpg

• Like 4

Dinner at Fonda. The second oldest restaurant in Barcelona, we are told. Chef has 5 Michelin stars in aggregate over his career. None here, but it was great.

1876.jpg

18781.jpg

Standard apps.

1879.jpg

1880.jpg

Catalonian poke

1881.jpg

Lobster salad. Perfectly cooked.

1882.jpg

Hake and crawfish

1884.jpg

• Like 5

Flight back delayed 2 hours because BCN air traffic control couldn't come to grips with the end of daylight saving time and wouldn't give us a slot across the Atlantic. This shouldn't have been a surprise. Sat at the gate for 2 hours (with champagne) WTF.

Lunch was a deeply flawed version of the dinner coming over.

1902.jpg

1895.jpg

Casablanca and Caddyshack on the video thing

1894.jpg

A tasty flatbread prior to landing.

1906.jpg

• Like 7

The menus were specially planned and printed for our small anglophone group, hence the English.

But I have found many bilingual menus in Spain. Sometimes side by side and sometimes on the obverse.

• Like 2

Thank you for filling me up with jamon and sardines and tomato bread - not to mention hake! Delicious. I certainly wish jamon iberico was 'ubiquitous' here in my house.

Just fyi, while it is not food related (other than you had to endure that on ground snack as you waited), if the pilot fed you that line about BCN being responsible for your departure delay due to daylight savings time changes ... it was probably hogwash! It is highly unlikely that BCN would have anything to do with NAT track slot assignments and, in any event, everyone in the air traffic management/airline field works on UTC. It was more likely AA (or whatever airline you were flying) which messed up - and I would suspect that it was for their own internal aircraft scheduling reasons in North America. They should have plied you with champagne and caviar.

• Like 2

I think you are right. I had been having a long twitter conversation with AA the day before because their website had the departure listed an hour early. First AA said it was incorrect, then it wasn't.. then it was.  I just got there early and waited.

I am always amazed at how much jamon appears to go to waste there. I would happily stuff it all in my carry-on if I could get it into the country without risking my Global Entry card.

• Like 3

many thanks

much sorrow here that you lead such a tough life.

maybe things will brighten up for you.

:laugh:

after all eG is about to have a new interface  !   maybe that will help you cheer up.

:blink:

this was not quite the food that " Ill have what Phil is having " on his trip to Barcelona, but id take it any day w

no complaints.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2