• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ketogenic Diet

Dejah

There's a scene in the movie "Never Cry Wolf" where one of the native hunters grins a gap-toothed grin at the main character, points to his nearly-toothless mouth, and says, "This is what happens when a meat-eater starts eating sugar."

(may or may not be verbatim, it's a lot of years since I saw the movie)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

From the Harvard Medical School Blog:

"A ketogenic diet could be an interesting alternative to treat certain conditions, and may accelerate weight loss. But it is hard to follow and it can be heavy on red meat and other fatty, processed, and salty foods that are notoriously unhealthy. We also do not know much about its long-term effects, probably because it’s so hard to stick with that people can’t eat this way for a long time. It is also important to remember that “yo-yo diets” that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet that would last only a few weeks to months (for most people that includes a ketogenic diet), try to embrace change that is sustainable over the long term. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life."

• Like 6

Notes from the underbelly

Seen on the internet: "Carbs are the brain's primary fuel. Atkins and keto go a long way to explaining the world around us, right now."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I don't believe in magic pills and I appreciate the skepticism in  @paulraphael's post, but I'm still interested in trying keto for a bit.  I don't have any sweets orders for a few weeks so mini cupcakes won't be jumping into my mouth and the idea of cheese at every meal is very attractive 😂 

Anyway, if anyone is still following this diet, what macro breakdown do you use?  What I found online was 5% carbs, 20%-35% protein, and 60-75% fat.  Is the higher protein only for body builders, or does it not matter as long as the carbs are low?  I work out with a personal trainer once a week and am trying to go for extra walks & cardio, but not trying to build muscle per se, just work on whittling my muffin top.  And do you allow yourself a higher carb day once or twice a week, or stay strict 24/7?

I tried this type of diet once many years ago when I got into cycling as a form of recreation and relaxation and wanted to shed a bunch of pounds fast to make the cycling easier. A co-worker told me about their success with it so I gave it a shot. I didn't do any of the math or science that you're supposed to do to make it as healthy as possible. I just ate meat, cheese and eggs for about 3 weeks then started eating a "salad" of whatever greens were handy, flax seed meal and some form of low-carb dressing once a day in addition to my meat, cheese and eggs. Not at all the proper or healthy way to do this type of diet but that was when I was doing double duty working in a restaurant and co-owning a catering business and I didn't have (or, more accurately, want to take) the  time for precision. It worked, I dropped a lot of weight fairly fast and after a short initial adjustment period, didn't have any lack of energy or focus as a result. One thing I did learn (the hard way), no matter how tired of it you get, drink A LOT of water and consider some type of low carb fiber source (which is why I started adding the flax seed meal to things). This type of eating, at least the way I was doing it, can plug the pipes like nothing else I've ever experienced if you fall behind on staying hydrated. ¬¬ 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

FWIW, I have read, somewhere, that women tend to gain more from fat than do men, and men tend to gain more from carbs. All I can figure is I must have a very masculine metabolism, as I tend to lose weight in the summer, when my carb intake naturally goes down because I'm eating more fresh garden veggies and fruit.

But, God help me, I DO love a potato. In any form.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We really don't eat much processed foods.  Mostly meats, seafood and fresh vegetables, starchy or otherwise.  Rice you bet.  I'm going to continue as I have been, let the chips fall where they may

Never been a fan of restrictive diets.  Genetics plays a big part in longevity.  My maternal grandmother lived to 92 and was sharp as a tack and was heavy most of her all her life. Then cut back and ate less losing a lot of weight .  My mom is going on 93 not heavy and has been in in a state of advanced dementia for near a decade.  I have no desire for that demise.  I think most food science related to health and longevity  is BS  when it comes to  longevity and other aspects of health.  My goal is to eat and drink well, enjoying every bite and sip. Pseudoscience be damned.  I don't won't to live forever but sure as hell want to enjoy the ride 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 4

I tend to agree with paulraphael on this subject even though eating in this manner worked very well for me with no bad effects that I'm aware of. The main reason being, unless it's going to be a permanent change in how you eat or you have a plan in place to replace the diet with something else once you get the weight off, it's not a great solution. When you stop doing it, unless you do something else to compensate, weight comes back on amazingly fast. Personally,  I'd pick the exercise and change in eating habits over the diet every time now just because it's a preferable situation for me, not because I think the diet is necessarily bad. Boring, I just plain ol' got sick of eating that way, but not particularly bad and a large part of the boring was my own fault. Be prepared for one thing though, people who have decided this type of diet is bad will take every opportunity to point that out to you. If you sneeze in public or your feet smell that day, it will be the fault of the diet. At least, that was my experience. I had to have an emergency appendectomy (only emergency because my stubborn arse wouldn't see a doctor despite all of the pain and suffering I was experiencing until I reached a point where my wife told me I was either going or she was calling them to come get me) about 5 or 6 months into the diet and I don't know how many people told me after that "I knew that diet was dangerous". :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've lost nearly 40 lbs over the last 8 months buy eating less and burning more calories.  No food is off the table if I want it.  Though I choose my calories more judiciously and sweet empty calories have less appeal.  Except whiskey and rum.  They fall in that gray zone of the abyss

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2