• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

Im reluctant to spray anything in an electrical appliance.

however, 50:50  water and vinegar is used for the decalcifying :

CSB Calcium.jpg

so maybe you might try vinegar this way.

ive never had problems with the wipe-down after a steam clean.

however, Ive never done a whole chicken so know know about possible heat splatter  

it the CSO looks like its thinking about getting very dirty, steam-clean on the earlier side of this trend.

that's my approach  

• Like 1

BTW  has anyone done the protocol above for decalcification?

that's several cups of water that pass through the CSB  maybe as many as 4 or 5

unless im missing something, you have to empty that little dinky tray on the bottom often/

BTW  s mentioned before , i use BritaWater to avoid this.  but Ive had the CSB for a while

57 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Anyone steamed eggplant yet?  I (yay) have a lot of them coming on and one I need to use now.  

Eggplant, like green peppers, should be quietly disposed of, quickly and without ceremony. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Eggplant, like green peppers, should be quietly disposed of, quickly and without ceremony. 

Anna N, if you would like to make a motion to that effect,  i'll second it.  Perhaps we could add lima beans to that list?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  I love all those veggies.  

I can see that I will be the lone eggplant steamer.........it's ok.  I will take on the mission.  I am good at being alone.  I can do this. :ph34r:

I haven't done it yet but was thinking of steam roasting eggplant. When I roast in the conventional oven I sometimes add a little water to the pan at the end of cooking.

• Like 2

Modernist cuisine at home us a recipe for eggplant done in the microwave.  Thick cut rounds on high for 3 minutes.  Perfectly cooked and ready for grilling with flavourings or use in other dishes.  So steam would even work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

BTW  has anyone done the protocol above for decalcification?

that's several cups of water that pass through the CSB  maybe as many as 4 or 5

unless im missing something, you have to empty that little dinky tray on the bottom often/

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have not.  But I appreciate your bringing it to my attention and I will do it soon.  

I just ran the oven through the decal protocol.  Indeed, it does fill...or overfill...that little tray multiple times and if one proceeds from one step to the next, as written, it's necessary to empty a tray that's full to the brim with very, very hot water. 

Or end up with a flood of rather acidic water under the oven.  Given how many times they tell you to unplug it before you so much as approach the oven with a damp sponge, I'm very surprised they didn't include some cautions about this procedure.

The inside of my oven is now cleaner than it's been in a while, although the inside top surface is certainly not pristine.  It catches the most chicken splatter and it's hard to clean around the heating elements.  Also not visible unless you practically stick your head inside, so my secret is probably safe .... as long as you guys don't tell xD

• Like 5

''''  Eggplant, like green peppers, should be quietly disposed of, quickly and without ceremony.   ''

you can mark the area of disposal with the universal danger symbol :

a celery plant

smiley-ptdr.gif

• Like 6

I had a few peaches leftover from my popsicle making so I decided on a sour cherry peach pie.  Used the convection setting...I think it took about 45 mins at 375F.  Had to cover it partway through.  We're eating some for breakfast :)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

• Like 11

Breakfast for me this morning:

Eggplant done on steam/bake at 425F for 30 mins.  Sprinkled with shichimi togarashi and some soy sauce.  The top was crisp, the rest was custardy.  Really good.

If you like eggplant, that is.

photo.JPG

• Like 6

I'm with you @Shelby, I love eggplant!

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!