• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

13 hours ago, Jon Savage said:

Darn you all. I innocently peek into the forum and now find myself soon to be in possession of one of these devices. I look forward to playing with it. It should arrive in the next 4-5 days. The N model seems to be holding stable @ $299.- on Amazon which is as weinoo and others have noted is a steal for a combo oven of any size. 

I've been lusting after a combi oven for years & while I won't rule out the 1/4 or 1/2 sheet pan sized ones ($$ though $2,000 up to the sky) I do have to agree that for a 2 person household this oven will nicely suffice for most situations. It also will be a good intro to this technology for me at a price that is none too dear.

If upthread is any indication it also makes damn good toast!

I'll report back when the object of my desire arrives. Initial use will be bread baking - the steam feature seems compelling for this. 

This sounds familiar....my advice, STAY AWAY from the InstantPot thread:/  I have to admit though, I do love my little oven.

• Like 2

little ?

I prefer the term Petite +

the point is not its size, but learning to cook w steam.

lottery is up a bit.

Ill get a 2 $$ ticket 'just in case ' It would come in handy for my houses new Extension.   it would have 3-phase power

in the kitchen, and the home 'workshop' in the basement below that new kitchen.

a couple of trips to France for Induction Copper

etc etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ahr said:

Thanks, Mitch.

Chicken.thumb.jpg.6912367fd8de8d14243474

BTW, the tray accompanying the new model isn't especially flimsy.

It should be here on Monday. I've got a starter ready for the first bread in the new device. 

• Like 1

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, ahr said:

BTW, the tray accompanying the new model isn't especially flimsy

I believe that it's also a bit larger, at 10-11/16 x 10-11/16 x 1-1/16".

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

ahr :

where did you get those dimensions ?

I can't recall what the previous model was, i.e. the one I use all the time.

it seems in the video for the past at the Trade Show to be the same size w different controls, i.e. a  steam Clean setting and

a corrugated drip tray.

thanks

Those are my own observations on the construction and size of the pan.  It might be worth ordering one, if you're confident that they'll send the newer pan, as the part number and picture look unchanged.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

when the ' N ' came out I called them re the flimsy pan I had

they send me another Toot Sweet

it was the same non corrugated pan

however, two of the earlier pans work fine

hoe you enjoy the CSB

I do

the older pan is 10 1/4  x 9 3/4

placing it in the [ older ] oven there is plenty of room in there for the newer sized pan

if you have the older pan, just call them, your serial is on the back on the left side  ( seen from the front )

mention the word ' flimsy ' politely and they will send you a new pan, free.

might not be the corrugated one, but solve the problem for us

that spotted a Fantastic Item  way before others

:P

full Kudos go of course to @weinoo   

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I've got the device- trying some bread as I type this. Many unknowns as this is using a new, literally unproven, starter + the new appliance. I will say the setup was easy, the controls intuitive. I guess I'll see if the bread becomes in another 20 minutes or so.

Jon

The bread came out just fine. My wife remarked at how nice she thought the crust was. First impressions and all but I think this is a worthy experiment. I'm also thinking this oven might be just the thing for corned beef - 'tis the season after all.

Jon

I just made a 2.6lb corned beef flat loosely based on this recipe - 2 hours @300 bake/steam resulted in a very nice tender corned beef. Now making the potatoes/carrots (20 minutes bake/steam) then add cabbage on top for an additional 20 minutes.

Honestly this little oven has so far exceeded my expectations in every respect.

Well worth the $300 for bread alone!

Toast is as mentioned frequently upthread excellent as well.

Jon

""  Toast is as mentioned frequently upthread excellent as well. "'

""   Well worth the $300 for bread alone! ""

I completely agree

Of Course.  Ive had mine for a Zillion Years

just sayi9ng

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jon Savage said:

I just made a 2.6lb corned beef flat loosely based on this recipe - 2 hours @300 bake/steam resulted in a very nice tender corned beef. Now making the potatoes/carrots (20 minutes bake/steam) then add cabbage on top for an additional 20 minutes.

Honestly this little oven has so far exceeded my expectations in every respect.

Well worth the $300 for bread alone!

Toast is as mentioned frequently upthread excellent as well.

The veg took a little longer than expected- taters carrots needed 40' @ bake / steam/300 the cabbage another 20'. The learning curve continues. In the meantime there is the bread proofing in earnest tonight & this recipe for tomorrow:

Red Chile Pork The perfect taco filling. Tender and absolutely delicious! Active Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 3 hours Makes about 12 servings 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork butt 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon chili powder ½ teaspoon dried oregano 1 bay leaf 1 cinnamon stick ½ teaspoon ground cumin ¼ teaspoon cayenne 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed 1. Cut the shoulder into large chunks; and place in a large mixing bowl. 2. Put the remaining ingredients together and then rub over the meat. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator overnight to marinate. 3. Transfer the meat, with the spices, to the baking tray and put in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set to Bake Steam at 350°F for 75 minutes. When time expires, reset to 225°F for an additional 45 minutes on Bake Steam. 4. Allow pork to rest in oven until cool enough to handle. Remove the baking tray carefully to avoid spilling any of the braising liquid.

5. Remove and discard bay leaf, cinnamon stick and garlic. Using your hands (wearing gloves is recommended!), shred pork into bite-size pieces. This can now be used as a filling for tamales (page 24), tacos, burritos or served over rice with vegetables. Pair with our Red Chile Sauce (recipe follows) for extra flavor. Note: If using as filling for Tamales, we recommend mixing in 1 cup of red chile sauce. Follow Tamale instructions and Masa Dough recipe on pages 24–25. Nutritional information per serving (based on 3-pound pork shoulder): Calories 361 (70% from fat) • carb. 1g • pro. 26g • fat 27g • sat. fat 9g • chol. 107mg • sod. 499mg • calc. 28mg • fiber 0g

Credit due to cuisineart here:https://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/cso-300n.pdf for the recipe which I have shared here that I think was fair use in any case.

Have I mentioned just for the record that I have 3+ lbs pork chunks in that very same rub steeping overnight?

Edited by Jon Savage
recipe details (log)
  • Like 1

Jon

1 hour ago, NathanD said:

Amazon dropped the price to $249.99

Cuisinart CSO-300N Convection Steam Oven, Stainless Steel

Gotta love the typo in the description----a 45 lb chicken?  Some chicken! Some oven!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Only $229 CDN on Amazon.ca - and given the exchange that's about $1.50 american.

Damn good job I still have no room for it! 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Damn good job I still have no room for it! 

I think we could hook something up that pulls down from the ceiling - that's what I need to do at my house.

• Like 5