• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

6 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I steam cleaned my CSO, 210F for 30 minutes. It was sitting in a puddle this morning. Has this happened to anyone else?

Did you empty the collection tray underneath first, it might have been full

p

Edited by palo (log)
  • Like 1

On January 20, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Okanagancook said:

Small, as in 1.5 lbs, game hen, spatchcocked cooked on convection bake @ 375f for 20 minutes.  Perfect.  Sorry no pics, I keep forgetting, Dah

This time I weighed the game hen and it was only a pound.  Cooked the same way and again very nice.

the collection tray on the CSB is fairly small.

not only do you need to remember to take it out and drain it, dry it

its also fairly important to remember to replace it before any steam use

just saying, from experience.

This thing sounds almost too good to be true.  I'm nearly persuaded to install a new 20-amp circuit to handle one.

However, does anyone know why it's no longer sold in any of the major retails stores--BB&B, W-S, SLT, HD, Kohl's--or even online directly by Amazon, despite the pretty much uniformly excellent reviews here and elsewhere?  Is yet another new model on the horizon, or has it just not proved popular?

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

there is a model " N "  that only seems to have a function via the knob for steam cleaning, which the oven does on a steam cycle anyway

and indeed it is a mystery why they are not 'show-cased' at BB&B and WS

the used to be.  BB&B certainly has plenty of space in that section in my area.

Roasted pork at steam roast 350 degrees for two hours.  It was a large roast so I cooked the other half in pressure cooker.  Cuisinart pork wins hands down.  Although I did get nice broth in pressure cooker.

photo(11).JPG.11ab1d0869bc24adaa83934daa

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

there is a model " N "  that only seems to have a function via the knob for steam cleaning, which the oven does on a steam cycle anyway

Thanks.  That's why I said "yet another new model."  I was wondering whether the "N" had become scarce because it was being replaced or simply discontinued.

I had placed a CSO-300N in my Amazon shopping cart last night from the primary vendor (Golda's Kitchen), but when I checked just now, Golda's was no longer listed, and the price had risen by $30.  The best current price is from a seller named End of Season Clearance.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Cream cheese and blue cheese (2:1 ratio) stuffed jalapenos 12 min at Steam Bake 350 degrees.  Next time will try to broil to give it more color.

56a514f064ad4_160424018StuffedJalapenos.

photo(29).JPG

Edited by chefmd
DH took better picture (as always) (log)
  • Like 6

chefmd

wonderful  stuff

thanks for the post.  give me ideas.

one cheese  I like for something like this and as a ''topping "  is

Boursin cheese.

I had a Hack some time ago, and made my own.  left it at 'winter room temp' in the kitchen to mature  i.e. 50 or so.

delightful stuff.

On January 22, 2016 at 0:56 PM, ahr said:

This thing sounds almost too good to be true.  I'm nearly persuaded to install a new 20-amp circuit to handle one.

However, does anyone know why it's no longer sold in any of the major retails stores--BB&B, W-S, SLT, HD, Kohl's--or even online directly by Amazon, despite the pretty much uniformly excellent reviews here and elsewhere?  Is yet another new model on the horizon, or has it just not proved popular?

I'm seeing it on Amazon.com

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

chefmd

wonderful  stuff

thanks for the post.  give me ideas.

one cheese  I like for something like this and as a ''topping "  is

Boursin cheese.

I had a Hack some time ago, and made my own.  left it at 'winter room temp' in the kitchen to mature  i.e. 50 or so.

delightful stuff.

Can you share how to make Boursin cheese? That sounds like a fun project.

I found this :

making boursin cheese at home

its pretty easy, I can't find my Rx which I think came from a book

the authors ;sat name was Wilbur I think, has a lot of older books copying both restaurant and fast food Rx's

I wish I could remember who he is.  he also had a TV show, maybe on cable where he chose a fast food place and tried to copy their food

kentucky fried chicken, etc

maybe some one remembers these

entertaining.

On day 2 of a pizza-crust experiment, I wanted to use the combi-oven for a more Roman-style "pizza bianca." Yes, I realize that tomatoes make that half of the pie not-pizza bianca, but anyway...I was able to stretch the crust very thin (on an olive-oiled, parchment-lined baking sheet)...

24144059303_9b73c2cb51.jpg

Topped simply with just rosemary, olive oil and salt, or tomatoes, olive oil and salt, this was a worthy pizza snack...or, as in this case, a good side dish to a braised whole chicken...

24475385540_209733cb8a.jpg

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

Darn you all. I innocently peek into the forum and now find myself soon to be in possession of one of these devices. I look forward to playing with it. It should arrive in the next 4-5 days. The N model seems to be holding stable @ $299.- on Amazon which is as weinoo and others have noted is a steal for a combo oven of any size. 

I've been lusting after a combi oven for years & while I won't rule out the 1/4 or 1/2 sheet pan sized ones ($$ though $2,000 up to the sky) I do have to agree that for a 2 person household this oven will nicely suffice for most situations. It also will be a good intro to this technology for me at a price that is none too dear.

If upthread is any indication it also makes damn good toast!

I'll report back when the object of my desire arrives. Initial use will be bread baking - the steam feature seems compelling for this. 

• Like 4

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--