• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green, Unripe Plantains

weinoo

Since we live in a neighborhood with a large proportion of people from Latin American/Caribbean countries, the markets here have nice supplies of plantains - either green (unripe) or well on their way to being fully ripe.

I love tostones, and I've made them at home by first peeling/slicing/roasting the green plantain, then pressing it, and then shallow frying in a pan. I know tostones are usually made by first deep frying slices, pressing them, and then refrying, but I try to be a little bit healthier. Because after all, I eat bacon and all that other bad stuff.

Anyone have any other ideas for green plantains? Or for tostones? 

If you cook with these, what's your methodology?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mofongo is made with green plantains (and bacon!!). 

I don't make it but order it if I see it on the menu. 

Google some recipes and see which suits you.

• Like 1

I vote for Mofongo any day but if you want something lighter  my "methodology" is to  just think of it as a potato..you can put the plantains in soup, curry or stew…empanada filling or grind it up to make the Puerto Rican Pastelles? If I am lucky enough to have a flavorful green plantain  i make tostones (I fry them in grape seed I think it tastes the best and they come out so nicely ) with mojo every time but I rarely get flavorful green plantains in my area 

last time I went to Florida they were in season and I stripped my friends plant put them in my suitcase and did all the above but mostly tostones and mojo

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet