• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20 Great "Fall" Wines for Under $20

weinoo

I certainly don't have anywhere knew the scope and breadth of knowledge of many who post around the interwebs about wine.  I'm actually a heathen - even going so far as to drinking (and enjoying) cocktails with dinner.

But I enjoy reading Eric Asimov's columns and longer pieces. And I think he's still one of the best wine/food writers that the NY Times has.

Today, he opines on 20 "fall" wines for under $20.

You can find decent wines for $5, $10 or even $15, but rarely will you find wines that snap you to attention, fill you with wonder or simply move you by their sheer deliciousness.  
For those qualities, which some may regard as luxuries but I believe are necessities, you need to spend a little more, say $15 to $25. Today, this range is the bull’s-eye for great values in wine.
Focusing on the less expensive end of this range, I’ve picked 20 excellent bottles, all under $20. Each was chosen with an eye to the fall season.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That's a nice list, and it gives me a good range of things to look for, although this comment gives me pause:

...this one is immediately accessible, with flavors of beeswax, minerals and that wet wool quality so beloved of Savennières fans.

'That wet wool quality'? Maybe I'll have to try some to find out what he means, and why it might be good. :-)

Thanks for posting about this article.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...