• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Disney's Ultra Members Only Restaurant "Club 33"

To be fair I will state that I didn't look at the links but the existence of Club 33 is well known within my circle of friends and aquantances.

I have had the opportunity to eat there once, before their recent major renovation. It was enjoyable, but not what I expected. Before the existence of Disney California Adventure it was the only place on the property where you could order alcoholic beverages and, besides being members-only, was part of its charm IMHO.  Since I haven't eaten there since the renovation I can't comment on any new menus. I can tell you that the person with whom we dined there with considers the Carthay Circle restaurant superior to Club 33 and that merely takes admission to Disney California Adventure. Having eaten at the Carthay Circle I can say that I found the offerings superior to my one experience with Club 33. None of this is meant to damn or demean Club 33, just offer my perspective.

I have heard many takes on the cost of membership but the last time I heard information that I would deem reliable the cost is less than $25,000. The real trick is getting on the waiting list since, again at my last knowledge of this, the membership is limited.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

$25,000 for the privilege of being allowed to dine at a restaurant? I guess it might be kinda nice to have enough money that I'd feel the need to go out looking for silly ways to get rid of some of it.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ate there once - courtesy of a drug company that gave park passes to a bunch of Orange County area docs. I used to go down to visit my friend there every year and was invited to come along. 

A perfectly good meal as I recall. 

Totally agree that I wouldn't be interested in paying for the privilege of being allowed in a restaurant!

• Like 1

Not to mention that there's a salad bar (found that out by speed-watching part of the video). A restaurant with a $25,000 fee to join and then you have to get your own salad from the salad bar? I don't think so.  :laugh:

• Like 2

I've eaten there several times in the distant past, but it's always been lunch. Lunch was always a buffet. Food was excellent, compared to what you could get in the park. We just visited the parks again in September (our Club 33 contact is no more) and the food available at many of the park's regular restaurants has increased greatly in quality. They especially go out of their way to accommodate special dietary needs, including a table side consultation with a chef.

Have yet to try Cathay Circle but a fantastic dining experience can be had at the Napa Rose located in the Grand Californian hotel without even having to pay park admission.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Napa Rose - undeniably excellent, worth every penny. I've been twice. Unfortunately I have spent over 3 of the last 6 years unemployed and funds for another visit haven't been there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've eaten there several times in the distant past, but it's always been lunch. Lunch was always a buffet. Food was excellent, compared to what you could get in the park. We just visited the parks again in September (our Club 33 contact is no more) and the food available at many of the park's regular restaurants has increased greatly in quality. They especially go out of their way to accommodate special dietary needs, including a table side consultation with a chef.

It is interesting to see that the quality in the regular restaurants at DL has improved with just the opposite of the food in the regular restaurants at WDW.  The quality and selection of food they are has decreased greatly.  With few exceptions there is nothing special at all about dining anymore compared to what it used to be.  I think all the free dining promotions have been the biggest thing that it killed it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Not to mention that there's a salad bar (found that out by speed-watching part of the video). A restaurant with a $25,000 fee to join and then you have to get your own salad from the salad bar? I don't think so.  :laugh:

I don't know about that. I really like a well stocked salad bar where you can select exactly what you want from good ingredients. I remember some great ones like at the Bombay Bicycle Club in Memphis many years ago, seafood, a forty pound block of good cheddar, many lettuces, prepared salads ... They are practically gone now around here. But then, I've always preferred to wait on myself rather than twiddle my thumbs while someone else gets around to it. I'll probably always be like that until I have to use a walker or wheelchair or mercifully check out in my sleep.  :smile:

Whether the $25,000 entry fee is annual or lifetime membership, that is unreasonable in my opinion. I would expect to see a lot of emirs in this restaurant.

> ^ . . ^ <

Early next month I will be seeing my friend who has access to Club 33 and will have been there twice in the last few months when I see her again. I will ask her if Club 33 has upped their game to match Carthay Circle. She is a very straight-forward person so I know I'll get an honest opnion.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Went to Club 33 a couple of times many, many years ago. Once was a party held by one of the media companies and after dinner, we had free and private access to the park. It was a great initiation to living/working in So. Calif.

Agree on Napa Rose, though I haven't been there in ages either. There used to be another very nice restaurant in a hotel around there, but I can't come up with the name and it is probably gone now anyway.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I don't know about that. I really like a well stocked salad bar where you can select exactly what you want from good ingredients.

Me, too. But let's put it this way. A salad bar -- no matter how bountiful, fresh, and stocked with everything little thing I could ever imagine for the salad bar of my dreams -- a salad bar is not what I want to see when I get to go to some very expensive place to have a meal. Very expensive meal? I want sumptuousness, elegant ambiance, I want stuff I could never afford, I want the kitchen to be serious and ambitious about the food -- a salad bar does not fit into that equation!  :laugh: 

• Like 1

Went to Club 33 maybe 30 years ago, so it HAS been there a very long time. Story is that it was set up for Walt Disney to have a place to take guests on the property.

I recall a buffet as well, though I know I was there for dinner. The guy I worked for either had a membership or was using that of someone else. Decent meal but I don't recall it as outstanding.  The cool part was that it was in the middle of New Orleans Square and you did get access to the park, though this was back when you needed lettered tickets (E, D, etc.) for rides.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend has been once since the renovation. The buffet is gone. Too Bad, I  liked it.

Her basic comment to the question of Club 33 versus Carthay Circle was that they are 2 different experiences.

Carthay Circle has an extensive menu which changes seasonaly and you order what appeals to you. I have had only excellent meals there and can attest to the quality and the service.

Club 33 is Prix Fixe wth multiple courses and several choices per course. If no choice for a particular course appeals you simply pick something else that is offered for another course.  The food and service were impecable on her last visit.

I hope to try Club 33 again as her guest in the future.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;