• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

Plating was difficult.  We thought if we put the horseradish cream on the base of the hot plate it would 'melt' and run all over the plate.  So it was served as a condiment on the table.  Not sure we could make these ingredient look pretty.  But, the flavours were 'Kellerish'!

The onions I have done many times.  His 15 minute cook time in a 400 degree oven isn't enough.  I actually used that little steam-convection oven to 'cook' them...I forget how long but around 15 to 20 min on steam bake at 350.  They turned out soft and moist done this way.  They were put back in the oven on steam-bake 225 to reheat but I had to reduce the sauce in a sauce pan...maybe the steam function added more moisture to the cooking vessel.

• Like 5

Ha, ha, just remembered this blog about cooking through the French Laundry Cookbook:  http://carolcookskeller.blogspot.ca/2007/01/parmagiano-reggiano-crisps-with-goat.html

She had the exact same problems we had with making the crisps and the runny filling.

Lesson learned:  consult this blog before attempting recipes from the French Laundry.

I sent this link to my friend who was so relieved...feeling that it 'wasn't me who couldn't make it'.  Comeon man, two hours to make 18 crisps.

Still, the flavours are so wonderful.

Ha, ha, also found a Utube of TK making the potato pave with Martha S.  Good to watch also.  Although their finished product was grey/black indicating someone had F'dUp.   Ha, makes me feel sooo much better.

• Like 3

Cambodian chicken, mushroom, grape tomatoes and water spinach soup. I made a kroueng (similar to curry paste) with lemongrass, galangal, fresh turmeric, kaffir lime leaf, prawn paste, garlic, chillies and red onion. The mushrooms were rehydrated small shitakes and fresh oysters. 

Garnished with mint, bean sprouts and fried shallots. 

Served with rice and chilli jam.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Shelby, Thank you. My son has always been good at art and his wife (who helped) was an art major for a time when she was in college are both very artistically inclined.  It sort of runs in the family. I have high expectations for their kids. :)  They are both good cooks too. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Shelby, Thank you. My son has always been good at art and his wife (who helped) was an art major for a time when she was in college are both very artistically inclined.  It sort of runs in the family. I have high expectations for their kids. :)  They are both good cooks too. 

Your meals also reflect the soul of an artist.  It's no wonder that your son has such talent :)  AND has married another talent.

• Like 2

Without Missing A Beet :B

Playing with using beets. I believe beets have great health benefits. ( Beet Benefits: Aphrodisiac, Brain Booster & More --------)

dcarch

Squid in pickled beet juice

squid mustard green 2.jpg

squid mustard green.JPG

Roasted pork using beet juice instead of red dye

roasted prok beets string beans 2.jpg

roasted prok beets string beans.jpg

Bass, beets and mustard green

Bass beets mustard green 2.jpg

Bass beets mustard green.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 14

"Double-steamed" herbal duck soup.

The herbs and stuff used for this batch:

DSCN7540a_800.jpg.f4c05a0232e585b04d7ceb

Top, L-R: Sliced dried angular Solomon's Seal rhizomes (玉竹), dried Chinese wolfberry fruits (枸杞子), dried "Black Dates" (黑棗);

Middle, L-R: Sliced dried Chinese yam (淮山), dried "Poor Man's Ginseng" roots (黨參);

Bottom, L-R: (the Chinese yam), sliced dried Szechuan Lovage root (川芎片), sliced dried "Female Ginseng" (當歸), dried longan flesh (龍眼肉).

A couple of fresh duck legs, cut-up, briefly blanched in hot water ("fei sui"; 飛水), in a heavy glazed ceramic bowl w/ heavy lid. The above herbs & stuff scattered/layered on top; then some good Shaohsing wine, a bit of hon-mirin [Takara], sea salt, and water to cover plus a bit added. Covered w/ the lid, and the assembly steamed in a large-enough pot for about 8 hours, replenishing steaming water as needed of course.

Finished bowl of soup, retrieved and un-lidded for the first time since assembly before steaming:

DSCN7541a_800.jpg.095740000713d941b25cd6

A bowl of the soup w/ a couple of duck pieces & some of the (edible) stuff, ladled out from the main bowl:

DSCN7548a_800.jpg.dc19f6fea9aa0710170eee

Plus some of a batch of thick-capped flower-patterned Chinese mushrooms (茶花菇) slow-braised (stove top) w/ lightly crushed garlic lightly browned/sautéed in rice bran oil, chicken stock (nicely gelatinous), half a chicken stock cube, water, some hon-mirin (later on). Braised/stewed for about 3 hr, with wong nga pak (黃芽白) (Napa cabbage) heart leaves put in towards the end.

DSCN7547b_600.jpg.afba1a2b78b29840497612

Everything eaten together w/ white rice.

• Like 7

@sartoric

That salad really calls out to me!

image.jpeg.ce9dbbe96db54b875b600a0babec8

Reheated and seared SV steak, mushrooms and some re-heated broccoli rabe. Washed down with a shiraz unworthy of any further detail (I am no connoisseur of wine!).

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Char siu pork belly with stir fried veggies, eggplant salad and rice.

The veggies included baby corn, water spinach, snow peas and oyster mushrooms.

image.jpeg

the pork.

image.jpeg

the stir fry.

image.jpeg

eggplant salad.

image.jpeg

the meal.

• Like 15

Pan-fried red snapper fillet. With carrots & capellini.

DSCN7557a_800.jpg.e69f0c588951c385172196

Fish fillet dressed w/ a mustard vinaigrette-like sauce** before frying. Sliced shallots fried in the pan after the fish, with a bit more EVOO added, the rest of the mustard sauce put in, plus some water, ground black pepper, fresh thyme sprigs, squeeze of lemon juice, simmered on low, thyme sprigs scraped down w/ spatula and removed, (some of the sauce & shallots put on the fish) then just-cooked wet capellini added and tossed around. The carrots were tossed in medium-hot oil then chicken stock added and simmered down.

** Dijon mustard, Arbosana EV olive oil, aged rice wine vinegar, turbinado sugar, shaken thoroughly. (Mustard is already salty)

• Like 7

Yes!!   I ate it for Dinner!!    :B  Its tHAT  pc at the top b/  Rib Cap and the eye  --tasted like Butter

Mix it with the eye of the rib roast,  cuz generally that has little marble

23239339573_a725589056_k.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 5

Its good to have Morels

Well, here is half my dinner!

Actually, a lot less than half. I dropped one of my favourite plates last night. Half was in about 20 pieces, but the other half, as you can see, remained intact. I thought "I can use that!" So I halved my burger.

Dinner was self made hamburgers and fries with a salad. but I was too busy playing with the plate to photograph the fries, etc.

half.jpg.1bc82082f213119ca6acb3721eced71

Well, it amused me for a short time.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Well, here is half my dinner!

Actually, a lot less than half. I dropped one of my favourite plates last night. Half was in about 20 pieces, but the other half, as you can see, remained intact. I thought "I can use that!" So I halved my burger.

Dinner was self made hamburgers and fries with a salad. but I was too busy playing with the plate to photograph the fries, etc.

half.jpg

Well, it amused me for a short time.

Sorry about the plate but very witty use of its remains.  And great looking burger!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sorry about the plate but very witty use of its remains.  And great looking burger!

Thanks. I think the plate shop still has some so hopefully, I can replace it tomorrow. I'll still keep the half plate though. No doubt.you'll see it again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou,

Could be the beginning of a trend perhaps even a new diet fad. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog