• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

Some recent dinners

Fritata

006.jpg

Humongous Roast Pork with apples, potatoes and onions

038.jpg

Steamed/Poached Scottish salmon in fennel/onion courtbullion finished with butter

0531.jpg

SV Bavette with maple syrup sprouts and au gratin potatoes

044.jpg

Duck confit with balsamic syrup glaze over barley risotto with maple syrup sprouts

009.jpg

• Like 17

Shelby - Keep'um coming.  Really nice looking oysters.  They look nice and fat.   Are the oysters from the Gulf Coast?

Sartoric- Beautiful plating

gfweb - Lots of tasty food.  The crust on the HPR and those au gratin potatoes really look great.

I was in Selma AL this past week  and bought some sugarcane from an 82 year man selling cane from the back of his truck.  It was about 40 years ago that I bought a copy of Craig Claiborne's Favorites from the NY Times and discovered there was a use for cane other than syrup.   That book was kind of my "gate-way"  to the world of possibilities in food beyond congealed salads and casseroles.   Kind of a long winded intro for tonights dinner of Chao Tom (Grilled chopped shrimp on sugar cane) with Nuoc Mam Sauce from that cookbook. It was many years before fish sauce made it to the isles Winn-Dixie in Meridian MS. 

rsP1040630.jpg

Finished the panna cotta tonight made from a recipe from epicurious.

rsP1040632.jpg

• Like 14

Tonight in a homage to Cambodia and Myanmar, I made this up.
Pork fillet was marinated with Kampot pepper, lime juice, a little soy and peanut oil. It was browned in a cast iron pan then finished in a medium oven and rested.
Served with steamed rice, stir fried broccolini, tomato salad - both these with loads of fried red onions, garlic, ginger and nuts, plus a lime & pepper dipping sauce.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12

This is Pre-New yrsI

Need some good luck early

Its an Ole southern dish of 23751975826_eb4db94f99_z.jpg.24df870cf41   " Black-eyed Peas and Kalette/Beet top Greens" Or " Coins and Dollars "

The Beans were cooked in a Pressure cooker 10 mins/15 psi with Carrot celery, onions,Garlic bay finished with salt and cider vinegar

Kalettes--sauted in garlic, butter,Evoo, red pepper,raw sugar, splash of ABC and finished with Ham stock and cider vinegar

Pork cutlets added --that was cooked in garlic

Edited by Paul Bacino
left out some ingriedents (log)
  • Like 9

Its good to have Morels

Soup. Firm tofu chunks & unpeeled straw mushrooms (canned) in chicken stock/broth. Chopped scallions.

DSCN7526a_800.jpg.df401ae018a25e5cace7a0

Short-cut pork spare ribs & chopped de-seeded hot long green chillies marinated w/ Teochew fermented soybeans (潮州豆醬; see below) [Dragonfly], crushed rock sugar, rice wine (I used ryori-shu), rice bran oil, then simply steamed till done. dressed w/ sliced scallions.  Clean, clear taste; "ching mei tou", 清味道.

DSCN7530b_800.jpg.a16c18f6c358e5793d32f4

Eaten with white rice.

DSCN7528b_800.jpg.63141f4c701881789ba32d

The Teochew fermented soybeans:

DSCN7532a_600.jpg.8e700a71b034fae4b21f51

Edited by huiray
To add picture of the soybeans used (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

liamsaunt

Id like to hear more about your fish share.

Ive been a member in the past of a CSA  but not for fish.  does the fish come from a market place or directly fro fishermen ?

Sure.  This is the CSF I belong to:

http://www.capeannfreshcatch.org/about-cafc/

It is a great program.  The fish comes right from the boats to the share, they portion it out and deliver it in coolers on ice to the pick up location.  You buy shares in eight-week increments.  You can opt in for a 1 lb, 2 lb, or whole fish share.  They also offer kosher shares.  If there is a storm that prevents the boats from going out, the share credits you a week towards the next share period.  Also, if you know you are going to be out of town for some of the share weeks, you can let them know when you sign up for the share and then you only have to pay for the weeks you select.  The fish has been consistently excellent, much better than anything you can get in the stores around here.  I enjoy the variety and the weekly puzzle of what to do with the catch.  I am making Faroe Island salmon from the share tonight.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

It is a great program.  The fish comes right from the boats to the share, they portion it out and deliver it in coolers on ice to the pick up location.  You buy shares in eight-week increments.  You can opt in for a 1 lb, 2 lb, or whole fish share.  They also offer kosher shares.  If there is a storm that prevents the boats from going out, the share credits you a week towards the next share period.  Also, if you know you are going to be out of town for some of the share weeks, you can let them know when you sign up for the share and then you only have to pay for the weeks you select.  The fish has been consistently excellent, much better than anything you can get in the stores around here.  I enjoy the variety and the weekly puzzle of what to do with the catch.  I am making Faroe Island salmon from the share tonight.

I wish I had access to a program like that.  Despite living at the So. Jersey Shore , the fish I buy in Northfield mostly comes from Phila., PA and there's a nice selection but not a lot of variety since the stores been there long enough to know what will sell and won't. And, I've been going there long enough for them to tell me what I don't want even if they have it.  Also NJ regulations ban the sale of some fish, such as striped bass, so if you want to eat a NJ striped bass, you can in surrounding states but not in NJ., unless you're a recreational fisherman and caught it yourself or you're the lucky friend or relative of one.

• Like 3

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I must say that the beautiful fish and seafood meals that you've posted got me to look into local options for this sort of program.  I found one called Community Seafood out of Santa Barbara that has a pick-up spot not far from me and I'm going to give it a try sometime next year.  The offerings don't sound quite as enticing as yours but it should be interesting to get more in touch with the local seafood.

We started with a little antipasto snack, marinated artichokes and very hot salami.

image.jpeg

Followed by gnocchi with ham, broccoli, artichoke hearts and peas in a three cheese sauce.

Served with baby spinach, parmesan and pine nut salad, plus a few grape tomatoes with basil.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

I was in the mood for a nice beef stew even though it's been pretty warm here.  Living near the tropic zone you can't always wait for it to get cold to enjoy a stew.  Boneless short rib braised in a broth with porter and stout 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 16

Steve-How cool!  Neat story about the sugar cane.  I'd like to try that someday.

Paul-It's never too early to get some luck in.  I have black eyed peas on my grocery list.  Going to the big city tomorrow so I can't forget them!

Norm-You've made me hungry for chili.  And, your son is VERY talented!

Spaghetti night with salad and more wonderful oysters last night.

PC160984.JPG.57136db91098201b7121a2b7257PC160985.JPG.4033638c56cbd53d99695ba17e3

• Like 8

An old post that I apparently never posted. Rotini with smoked salmon alfredo sauce. Meh. Sauce was too rich, and the smokiness of the salmon got lost.

download.png.5f6615f93e837e9e7e96d89ea02

Last night, as I'd been in the kitchen all day making Christmas goodies, I opted for a bean soup with some RG beans I had cooked and in the fridge. Sauteed onion, garlic and carrots; added 12 oz of smoked sausage, sliced; added half a small cabbage, shredded; when it wilted, added about three cups of cooked Ojo de Cabra, Alubia Blanca and Domingo Rojo; the latter two I'd cooked for a salad that never got made. Added a cup of chicken stock. Cooked on "soup" setting for 15 minutes.

5672d0d1d4eab_beansoup.JPG.5ba7cb151332f

Cabbage was way too soft; I'd probably saute it separately and stir it in before serving next time. Flavor was excellent, though.

I can see the IP is going to encourage my tendency to start out with a dish and only a vague idea of where said dish is going to end up....

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We made a Thomas Keller themed birthday meal.  Unfortunately I missed taking pictures of a couple of courses, duh.

The menu was paired with wines and this is the first time we have done a multi course meal and researched the wines in our cellar to pair with the courses.  This worked out super well and we all commented on how well they went together.

I have pictures of the scallops, the potato pave in the pan, the version before frying and the plated main.  The pave took two of us 1 1/2 hours to assemble!  The Crisps took my friend 2 hours to make and the filling turned out too runny so not sure what happened there.  I went to 9 stores in Penticton looking for Brioche to make the croutons then forgot to put them on the salad, duh again.  That Blue Cheese Dressing is to die for.  If you like that kind of dressing it's a must make.  And that Horseradish Cream!  Oh, if you like horseradish it's amazingly good.  The venison tenderloins were a gift from a hunter friend.  There were two of them, not the same size.  So I meat glued them together to get six nice thick steaks.  He has you marinate the peppercorns in oil that has been brought to a boil.  It made them easier to crush.

So many components to the meal, for example, the pork belly had been sous vide and frozen so I just had to brown them as well as the flat breads and cornets which were made the week before and put in the freezer.  I don't think I could have made everything on the same day.  

All in all, it was an interesting exercise and I learned a lot about being organized and patient, very patient.  I just wish I had taken pictures of everything.  Just not in practice.  Next time. 

MENU

French Laundry Cornets

Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse

Flatbreads with Tapenade

Reserve Brut 2005 Blue Mountain

Caramelized Sea Scallops with Braised Pork Belly

Culmina SAIGNÉE VINTAGE 2014

Peppercorn Crusted Venison Tenderloin

Horseradish Cream

Potato Pave

Honey-Glazed Cipollini Onions

Grilled Endive

20 Mille Bordeaux Superieur  2007

The Dead Arm, 2006 d’Arenberg

Iceberg Lettuce Slices

Oven Roasted Tomatoes,

Brioche Croutons, Lardons

Blue Cheese Buttermilk Dressing

Roquefortissime, 2014

Linzer Cookies

Vanilla Ice Cream

El Noble Villard Botrytised Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Stoneboat Verglas 2008

DSC01211.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

DSC01214.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

• Like 13

5672d2184682b_Dinner12-16-15003B.jpg.4fe
Sauteed vegetables. Bok Choy (maybe Shanghai bok choy) sugar snap peas, shiitake mushrooms, woodear(Sun Kee brand compressed auricalaria in a very attractive box), dried shrimp (the only ones I could find with no food coloring), Kikoman soy sauce (low sodium type), and oyster sauce(Lee Kum Kee brand premium oyster sauce) and cashews("because sometimes you feel like a nut" ) on top of Carolina brand white long grain rice.  There were also commercial vegetable spring rolls with S&B brand oriental hot mustard, a Japanese brand I've been hooked on for years.

A question: How long are those little blocks of compressed auricalaria good for?  My personal opinion is that they should be good forever. BIMBW

• Like 10

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

We made a Thomas Keller themed birthday meal.  Unfortunately I missed taking pictures of a couple of courses, duh.

The menu was paired with wines and this is the first time we have done a multi course meal and researched the wines in our cellar to pair with the courses.  This worked out super well and we all commented on how well they went together.

I have pictures of the scallops, the potato pave in the pan, the version before frying and the plated main.  The pave took two of us 1 1/2 hours to assemble!  The Crisps took my friend 2 hours to make and the filling turned out too runny so not sure what happened there.  I went to 9 stores in Penticton looking for Brioche to make the croutons then forgot to put them on the salad, duh again.  That Blue Cheese Dressing is to die for.  If you like that kind of dressing it's a must make.  And that Horseradish Cream!  Oh, if you like horseradish it's amazingly good.  The venison tenderloins were a gift from a hunter friend.  There were two of them, not the same size.  So I meat glued them together to get six nice thick steaks.  He has you marinate the peppercorns in oil that has been brought to a boil.  It made them easier to crush.

So many components to the meal, for example, the pork belly had been sous vide and frozen so I just had to brown them as well as the flat breads and cornets which were made the week before and put in the freezer.  I don't think I could have made everything on the same day.  

All in all, it was an interesting exercise and I learned a lot about being organized and patient, very patient.  I just wish I had taken pictures of everything.  Just not in practice.  Next time. 

MENU

French Laundry Cornets

Parmigiano-Reggiano Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse

Flatbreads with Tapenade

Reserve Brut 2005 Blue Mountain

Caramelized Sea Scallops with Braised Pork Belly

Culmina SAIGNÉE VINTAGE 2014

Peppercorn Crusted Venison Tenderloin

Horseradish Cream

Potato Pave

Honey-Glazed Cipollini Onions

Grilled Endive