• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

Reposting Monday's dinner that got lost in the reboot of the upgrade: fish tacos made with haddock from my fish share.  My husband got an email from them yesterday saying that next week in addition to the usual 2 pounds of white fish we get, we will be getting a pound of Faroe Island salmon and a pound of scallops.  It will be a fish heavy week!

fish tacos.jpg

Tuesday I made banh mi to try and use up the rest of the daikon-carrot pickle I made a couple of weeks ago.  Still have some left.

chicken banh mi.jpg

• Like 14

And another repost

Despite being almost in the tropics (the Tropic line is just down the road), it can get quite cold here. Every year, around now, the temperature suddenly drops overnight  from the mid to high 20s (ºC) to around 12 - 15ºC. I know that may not seem cold to many people, but please note that few house or offices etc have any heating. We simply throw on more clothes for the duration. By February, it will be down to 5-10º. Fortunately, winter is short.

Anyway the drop came a couple of night ago so I made this.

stew2.jpg

A one pot stew of beef with chickpeas, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, ginger, chillies, Worcestershire sauce. With new potatoes (Also cooked in the same pot). Winter food.

siw.jpg

In the wok

Edited by liuzhou
Typos and punctuation (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Simple dinner last night, shopping in the fridge... Garlic oil and then crushed a few tomatoes in my hand into the pan, then a little cream and cheese before tossing in spaghetti

Spaghetti was cooked perfectly, simple and delicious..  Dinner in 15 minutes. 

23379273120_2ab76b2dc9_z.jpg

23674925045_e847e5ccb5_z.jpg

then in the process of making stock from 15 pounds of beef stock:  It's been cooking since 9 o clock last night, will take it off when I get home from work. 

23648969476_3753130fe2_z.jpg

• Like 10

We had a leftover turkey in the shop that I had brined after Thanksgiving.. I deboned it and saved the bones for stock.. With the breasts, I tied and sliced for my lunches, for the tenderloins, I grilled and gave my baby.. For the legs and thighs, I deboned and stuffed and tied one with oyster stuffing and the other with broccoli rabe and mozzarella, something I have readily on hand @ my shop.. 

Not the prettiest but, dinner was on the table.. 

22960053393_dc584471ca_z.jpg

This is the dark meat tied with broccoli rabe and cheese.. Pan sauce, roasted squash w/ maple glaze and a bagged salad that has been in my fridge at home for god knows how long..  I made this platter and we all ate it in front of the television in the den upstairs..  Nice little picnic. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 7

Pork tenderloin, just quickly pan-fried, red onions cooked with honey, vinegar and wine and sweet potatoes with sautéed apples. DSC00450.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Pork spare ribs stewed w/ browned onions, garlic, water, sea salt, some by leaves, small portobello mushrooms, lots more onions (small yellow, red cipollini, yellow cipollini), fresh thyme sprigs. Liquids allowed to simmer down a fair bit. Eaten w/ white rice.

DSCN7482b_800.jpg

Plus chiffonaded Tuscan kale & purple curly kale simmered (cooked down) in beef stock.

• Like 1

Okay, my turn to repost!  Actually maybe, maybe not as I'm a little confused as to what and where I posted.  I had another good trip to the farmers market over the weekend where I bought some nice pearl and shiitake mushrooms, assorted greens and cherokee tomatoes. Some of the bounty became a nice breakfast/lunch with saffron tomato gravy

rsP1040589.jpg

rsP1040592.jpg

and for dinner a huiray influenced dish of smoked turkey broth seasoned with tamari and oyster sauce served with mushrooms and a type of bok choy.

rsP1040594.jpg

Dinner the next night was a nice locally source pork chop with pork demi-glace with pearl mushrooms, broccolini and gnocchi.

rsP1040613.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 9

Dinner tonight looked a bit beige and I struggled to get a decent shot. This was the best.

Duck breast marinated for four hours in soy sauce, orange juice and ginger then pan-fried. 

Stir fried shiitake and button mushrooms with leek and oyster sauce.

Rice.

Could have done with more greenery. Still, it was OK. The duck was suitably pink.

dmos.jpg.4d808cc9faccce18d67676ca7d6deca

cu.jpg.84fed1aedd9c96b758b299ce58e69e3d.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

@Shelby, did you accompany those oysters with any sauce?  If so, what kind?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I sometimes order a FarmBox with various produce from a nearby organic farm. They also have meal kits and I ordered one of those, which we had for dinner. They have about half a dozen kits, all use organic produce and are vegan. I'm not a vegan, but the kits appealed a bit so I thought I'd give one a try. 

All the ingredients are in a labeled box. 

IMGP5487.JPG.3c9059fffd981f051561b969276

This is a simple kit for Potato Corn Chowder, Tomato Garlic baguette and lettuce boat salad. They include everything you need, even sprigs of thyme and a bit of basil, garlic cloves and soup seasoning. Almond 'milk.' A bit of cornstarch for thickening the soup. Vinaigrette for the salad. 

IMGP5492.JPG.c450c49ac0b0451e4cb8acabc65

The end result was pretty good and it was a fun and easy meal. I don't know that I would order many of these in the future, but I enjoyed trying it out. They had a special one for Thanksgiving which looked really good (included stuffed squash). I was going to try that one, but hesitated and missed the ordering deadline. If they have one for Xmas, I might try that for an after-Xmas meal. . 

IMGP5513.JPG.6215bb18af43facd4cfcd2ffd4f 

IMGP5483.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 7

Rancho Gordo scarlet runners soaked overnight with bay leaves and carrot:

IMG_1554.JPG

While these were simmering with some salt and some more bay leaves, I roasted a head of garlic:

IMG_1556.JPG

That went into the beans at the end:

IMG_1557.JPG

After some sitting I dug the soft cloves out and dusted the top with some of the peel. Served with just 1280.jpgpeas:

I should have dug out the green sprouts from the garlic... a bit bitter... 

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

• Like 7

Roast chicken with tomato chutney, roasted potatoes and grated beetsDSC00461.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 9

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Chicken cooked with a Tamilian/generalized Malaysian-Indian influence.

Basmati rice (Z Reserve).

DSCN7513a_800.jpg.0511d6f98168a968356d26

Finely chopped small yellow onions, chopped smashed garlic, peanut oil, soften/brown lightly; fresh Murraya koenigii leaves (trimmed, washed); ground coriander seed, ground cumin seed, ground turmeric, ground "extra hot" chili powder (unknown variety), whole (semi-dried) green cardamom pods, dried bay leaves, stir around on medium-low heat, extra oil added; some water added, stirred/let sit/etc; chicken thighs, chopped into pieces, sea salt, some jaggery (வெல்லம்), stirred around/let sit on medium-low heat; water added to just cover, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cook for a while; halved skinned potatoes (Klondike Rose) added in, followed a little while on by de-seeded fresh hot long green chillies; seasoning adjusted, simmer along till the oil "breaks" (separates at the top) plus a while more. Let rest for a while before serving on rice.

Plus simply-sautéed finely shredded green cabbage (no pic).

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

Dinner tonight was a little bit of this and that.  Purple hull peas seasoned with rosemary, garlic and olive oil, creamed corn, baked beans and coleslaw.  Deboned chicken thighs were stuffed with homemade longaniza and deboned drumsticks  stuffed with stuffed with homemade pork sausage with sage and wrapped with bacon. Both dishes were cooked sous vide and finished on the grill.    Also brisket burnt ends to round out the protein offerings.  The cornbread included thinly sliced anaheim peppers, garlic chives, onion chives and Ballyshannon cheese.  Dessert was panna cotta with a raspberry coulis.  The photo is the plate that I prepared for my neighbor.

rsP1040626.jpg 

• Like 11

I promise. I did try to make this look pretty. Messed with lights and then resorted to Photoshop, but ...

cpsc.jpg

Until those so called boffins at Microdaft or Appoplexy get round to distributing smells through our expensive technology, you'll just have to believe me the smell (and taste) made up for any deficiencies in my photographic skill.

Chicken curry with spinach. Indian spice paste, ginger, onions and garlic. Rice.

• Like 8

You're going to see a lot of oysters from us :)

We had some raw, some an easy version of Rockefeller and some shrimp cocktail (not pictured) night before last.

PC120971.JPG.a35b48d8738d4c3e8ec66859c58PC120972.JPG.810adea9f6043d5698abddbd478

Last night raw and some red beans, andouille sausage and rice.

PC130974.JPG.a53cc4da90a8bc69797aaff79e9PC130975.JPG.101cbb1f83f51da364a86ad8f5a

• Like 14

image.jpegHome after a bit more than 3 weeks in SE Asia, I crave simple roast chicken seasoned with fresh thyme and olive oil.

Seen here with roasted potatoes, parsnip, carrots, shallots and garlic. Plus gravy made with pan juices and broccoli with cheese sauce.

• Like 16