• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

22738159828_0a07154a5e.jpg

Grass-fed chuck eye steak, pan-cooked, rested, and and sliced because the suckers have a big tendon running through the middle, but this is a tasty cut just 1 rib from a rib eye (the vendor at the farmer's market was Sunfed Beef).

Mushrooms and shallots used to deglaze pan, red wine and ramp butter to finish.

Boiled, smashed, and roasted potatoes with garlic, olive oil, ancho chili powder and rosemary.

Arugula salad on the side.

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pasta with stuff.

DSCN7247bC_800.jpg

EV olive oil, sliced red & yellow cipollini onions, a bit of garlic, smoked cajun sausages [Claus'] sliced into rounds, sauté; chopped celery, a bit of sea salt, toss around; halved drained artichoke hearts (canned) [Reese], toss, separately-cooked linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], Pantelleria salted capers (rinsed and pre-soaked) [bonomo & Giglio], toss & fold everything together in the hot pan. Serve.

• Like 10

"" chuck eye steak ---   a big tendon running through the middle ""

is this the Blade you are referring to ?

what ever you call that stet, Id haves seconds if I could

This is from askabutcher.com...

0405bnlschuck-1.jpg

From certifiedangusbeef.com...

Cut from the chuck eye roast; a good, low-cost alternative to the ribeye, though slightly less flavorful and tender. Marinate before grilling.

Since this was grass-fed beef, I kept it nice and rare. Cooked in a stainless-lined, copper fry pan.

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Steve Irby: thank you!

------------------------

Today's dinner:

Made with what I have in the house today so it's my version of "Choucroute". Big chunk of pork is the cut just above the heel. Smoked sausage, Speck (smoked pork belly), and Sauerkraut -warmed up with plenty of juniper berries- which is sold raw/fresh directly from the barrel at the market. I rolled the boiled potatoes in chopped parsley. And a smokey Franconian beer is a natural accompaniment. Simply one of my all-time favourite meals. Similar meals I love are called Cocido and Cozido (Spanish and Portuguese respectively).

Merci Deutschland!

TmCE4L5.jpg

3bWdWd3.jpg

• Like 10

Damn that is beautiful, BV. I recently purchased a German sauerkraut vessel and will start making my own kraut for the Bavarian Weiss I'm selling at my restaurant, when I get back from this trip from China I'm on. Looking forward to sharing the process. Have you ever made your own sauerkraut? My polish butcher insists I use rubber boots to stomp the cabbage, I bought I wooden "pestle" of sorts.

• Like 1

BKeats: No, it has not crossed my mind to make my own Sauerkraut only because reasonably good Sauerkraut is readily available at the market for 2 euros a kilo. But I don't completely rule out never wanting to try making it myself.

Enjoy your China trip! (Where about? I have been there only 3 times)

• Like 1

Mexican chicken. Only vaguely Mexican, pure rural Southern American.

mex chicken.JPG

Boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), whole kernel corn, black beans, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cheese. Garnished with grated cheese, sour cream, diced avocado. Served on tortilla chips.

Easy, quick, good.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Simple dinner.

Last of the current batch of chicken stock; with small yellow & orange carrots, fresh maitake mushrooms, Taiwan bok choy heart leaves & scallions simmered in it (in that sequence). A small handful of roasted vermicelli [Ahmed Foods] (like this one, but in a red colored package) was folded into the soup at the end after the heat had been turned off.

DSCN7251b_600.jpg

Plus a large chunk of coarse Braunschweiger [Claus'] with lots of mini croccantini [La Panzanella].

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

Fettuccine with black truffles and parmesan cream sauce.  The other half of the truffle is buried in some arborio rice for a mushroom risotto I am making tomorrow.  The truffle was a bit of a splurge but it is my husband's birthday weekend.  I served this with a salad of bitter greens.  Forgot to take a picture of the salad.

fettucini with truffles.jpg 

• Like 12

DSC00411.jpg

I take no credit for this - it was my husband's night to cook. Pasta with mushrooms, ham, peas, onion and cream. Parmesan on top. And a salad.

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Tonight I prepared a fall apple themed dinner -- fittingly to the strains of Rossini's beloved Guilaume Tell.  And it took far longer than the whole dammed opera.

First course was Autumn in Jersey (Laird's bonded), mixed nuts.  (Peanuts have not been on sale of late.)

Followed by half a perfectly roast chicken, salted as per Lopez-Alt.  Baked 500 deg F, per Food52.  That was not the time consuming part.  The time consuming part was sauce allemande, Raymond Sokolov, The Saucier's Apprentice (pp 104-105).  I had some mushrooms to use up.

The chicken pan was deglazed with calvados which was incorporated into the sauce allemande, that was then finished with a butter swirl.

Chicken was accompanied by sautéed organic apples, Richard Olney, Time-Life Fruit.  Again the pan was deglazed with more calvados.  No wine.  Beverage was a potable though unexciting French cider.  But the trou Norman was a favorite Pays d Auge.

Dessert was supposed to have been Kerry's apple galette, however that didn't happen.

Currently enjoying a glass of Laird's 12 before bed.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Duck & pickled mustard soup (Itek Tim a.k.a. Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng).

Duck legs, water, galangal, garlic, tamarind pulp, salted plums in brine plus some of the brine, pickled mustard, rock sugar.

Braised daikon & mushrooms.

Young daikon, dried "tea flower mushrooms", dried wood-ear fungus, dried snow fungus, dried golden needles, stove-top braise w/ garlic, shiro miso & stuff.

• Like 1

I've been out of action for a bit. Work demanded attention. 

Tonight, linguine with duck meatballs and a tomato sauce. The sauce was just onion, fresh tomato, salted anchovies, and chili flakes simmered for three hours. The basil was added after plating. Dusted with grana padano. 

ldb.jpg

Yes, there are meatballs hiding under there.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Breakfast for dinner.  This was my niece's plate.  The adults did not have fruit or waffles, instead we had roasted asparagus and brioche toast.

Much as I love roasted asparagus and brioche I think I'm with your niece on this one. That looks great - for any time of day.

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

Steak sandwich with a side of roasted vegetables and a glass of wine.

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Picked a package of nice looking oxtails

Cooked them SV for about 100 hrs @ 145f. Refrigerated until ready to use. Reheated at same temp with sprigs of rosemary then into a skillet with tomato paste and a little water to caramelize the meat .

Earlier made a pot of collard greens. They are so good as is, but made of a good underlayment for roasted slices of Idaho and sweet potato and the oxtail, dressed with dollops of tomato jam

46f80de86a78dbae4bbd293fafaa2e98.jpga60d4484c673dfa2c747ea6f21f7bf1d.jpg

• Like 14

Sartoric – have a wonderful trip.  Hope you plan to chronicle it for us!

Awhile back I made shredded beef in a crock pot for a test for Xmas Eve dinner.  I’m planning on doing sandwiches (everything make-ahead) that people can build themselves, side dishes and my regular ‘goodies’.  I wanted to see if I could make the beef ahead of time, freeze, thaw and heat and serve.  I thawed it out the other night and it worked great.  The beef tasted very good and the texture didn’t suffer at all.  Served with salad and pickle-y stuff:

med_gallery_3331_114_91804.jpg

Sandwiches:

med_gallery_3331_114_104530.jpg

I dipped the cut side of the top of the bun in the jus.  The buns were a little too tender.  It was fine for us, but with people walking around holding a plate, I think that a firmer roll will work better.  I’ll be experimenting with that.  

• Like 17

The braised daikon from here allowed to steep overnight, the large solids removed and reserved. The liquids were fortified with cubes of fermented wet bean curd (白腐乳) [Liu Ma Kee] slurried with some water, the mixture diluted a bit, seasoning adjusted, then used to braise (stove top) additional dried golden needles (金針) (rehydrated and the stem ends nipped off, as before/usual) and after a little while dried oiled bean curd sheets (腐竹 / 腐竹皮) snapped into smaller pieces folded in and the mixture simmered a while more. The reserved solids were added back in and the whole simmered till judged satisfactory, liquids adjusted.

Recap of the other ingredients in this: daikon (白蘿蔔), tea flower mushrooms (茶花菇), wood-ear fungus (木耳), snow fungus (雪耳), shiro miso, garlic, oil.

Eaten w/ white rice, dressed w/ finely sliced green parts only of scallions.

DSCN7252a_800.jpg

DSCN7254a_800.jpg

Plus more of the Kiam Chye Ark Th'ng from before, taste mellowed after sitting overnight, diliuted a bit and resimmered.

(If one wishes, search the forum for Itek Tim for representative pictures of this that I have made before)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 8