• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 6)

Anna N

Shrimp and sausage gumbo, with andouille sausage and shrimp that I'd frozen after it was left over from last week's shrimp boil, peeled and thrown in at the last minute, just long enough to get hot all the way through. 

gumbo.JPG

I even unbent enough from my healthy dislike of bell peppers to include one in this. It was an orange one, though. Not even cooking Cajun can sway me to bring a green bell pepper, loathsome things that they are, into my kitchen.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pan fried Thai style chicken, marinated in ginger, garlic, lime juice, chilli, lemongrass and fish sauce.

Thai fried rice, with bacon, egg strips, spring onions, snow peas, peanuts, peas and pineapple.

Iceberg lettuce, spring onions and mint leaves, dressed with olive oil, malt vinegar, soy and garlic.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Sunday dinner.  Carbonade Flammande on buttered egg noodles (Penna Dutch brand), green salad, a slice of what I've always called "hearth bread" but the KA Flour recipe I use  calls "the perfect rustic loaf", a glass of Willamette Vallley Vineyards "whole cluster" Pinot Noir, and the Sunday NY Times crossword puzzle. Growing up, we always had what was considered a proper Sunday dinner usually served between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, although I have mine around 6.   Going into the kitchen after the Sunday dinner was cleaned up for any reason other than to feed the dog would usually make my mother shout"Don't make a mess out there and clean up after yourself because I'm not going to clean up after you!"

Despite being a septuagenarian arthritic bachelor I still want a proper Sunday dinner.

I made the carbonade using Chimay blue label ale., The recipe called for three large onions but I used three very big onions because lots of onions are a very good thing.I made it Saturday morning so it would sit in the fridge overnight,an essential step for stews, and short ribs I've always felt.  Then I portioned it Sunday morning.  Three portions in the freezer and the 4th for dinner. And, the mess from making a proper Sunday dinner entree, all cleaned up and put away hours before sitting down to dinner.

That's making me hungry, Arey!

• Like 1

I was inspired by a story in last week's NY Times magazine about Meera Sodha's new cookbook, based on recipes from her family. It has been awhile since I have done any Indian cooking.

20151102_190830.jpg

Meeera Sodha's chicken curry - lots of ginger, garlic, onions, yogurt, tomatoes,peppers, spices and chicken. Very tasty but I would up the heat if I make it again.

20151102_190846.jpg

Naan - My first attempt - it came out better than I expected but I think I need some practice. The recipe is from the same NYTimes article.

20151102_190838.jpg

Broccoli with garlic oil. This is from Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking, a book I used to use a lot. I have to get back to it. 

• Like 7

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The bread I made this weekend was gone after two days so I decided to make some more.  Meanwhile a friend in Seattle posted a picture of a new loaf pan from Nordic.  While the bread was rising I went to Williams Sonoma and liked the pan enough to get one.  I know the pan is for quick bread but I thought I'd put a loaf of the yeast bread in the pan to see how it looked. 

I also saw what looked like a pretty conservative Italian recipe for meatballs and sauce so I made it for dinner to go with the bread.  Also had a simple salad.

DSCN3108_zpsygvezkid.jpg

DSCN3111_zpsa9aeq85z.jpg

DSCN3113_zps440d4p7t.jpg

• Like 10

nice pan NM

how did you get the browning ?

let it rise in the pan, then flipped it out on to a baking stone ?

clever.  very cleaver.   if this was your technique, did you Pam the Pan ?

if not the technique, would you share it with us ?

very nice indeed either way.

i try not to go into WS.  its a cross from Apple at my Local Maul.

Apple of course is a different animal.

but Im set for both stores.  so far.

nice pan NM

how did you get the browning ?

let it rise in the pan, then flipped it out on to a baking stone ?

clever.  very cleaver.   if this was your technique, did you Pam the Pan ?

if not the technique, would you share it with us ?

very nice indeed either way.

i try not to go into WS.  its a cross from Apple at my Local Maul.

Apple of course is a different animal.

but Im set for both stores.  so far.

WS is a lot like Apple.

at the surface, indeed.

it takes Vision to see Deeper into the Apple.

WS not so much.

however I do lust after those gold pans from time to time.  This stuff :

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-half-sheet-pan/?pkey=e|baking%2Bpans|148|best|0|1|24||5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

I did stop by WS the other day  ( after a few whiffs at Apple first ) to see what those copper-induction-$700 pans felt like

compared to my 3.5 mm FR copper pans.

these ones :

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/de-buyer-prima-matera-copper-stockpot-with-lid/?pkey=e|copper%2Binduction%2Bcookware|916|best|0|3|24||22&searchPfm=thematic-page&e|copper+induction+cookware|916|best|0|3|24||22

fortunately for me, on-line only.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The pan is non stick aluminum. I pressed the dough down into the pan and let it rise, then baked it in the pan. It's heavy aluminum and it browned without me doing anything special.  It came right out when I turned it over.  I don't know any other store close by that carries the pan. It's new from Nordic Ware.  If it turned out OK with yeast bread,  thought I might use it for Challah on Thanksgiving.  I am lousy at braiding.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

image.jpeg

Small chuck eye cooked SV x ~ 24 hours at 56.5 C. Perfect! Had interesting sides planned but was tired and hungry so it became a sandwich.

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So..

Getting these ready for the holidays!!

Costco had Rib-Cap cuts packaged..

So  I'm making a pinwheel steak  with them..  probably bag em in 4s.  Sous vide @ 140ish and sear on my Boiler plate

When the time comes  for a party!!

22728621666_aa24fa8885_k.jpg

• Like 9

Its good to have Morels

PB

wow   the usual WOW for Beef @ the MeatMeister

you took Beef caps  i.e. the meat on top of the Prime Ribs

pin-wheeled it ?

nice

why 140 ?

this stuff   i.e. rare as you can stand, the seared 

Ill be over to take a Taste Test, id not a Good sized Gobble !

excellent thinking BTW

why not 130.1 ?

then a sear ?

just saying

RT

These need a bit more temp..  it helps with that amount of Marbling.

Let me clarify .. also.  I don't eat this stuff that often.

Will probably  add a bit of porcini powder or truffle salt also.. when I go to cook.

Cheers  Doc

Its good to have Morels

Yesterday I seared some corvina and put in on a bed of shredded brussels and mushrooms

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446601902.687352.jpg

Today the left over brussels and shrooms made it into a spring roll with some green tea soba noodles and seared tuna. Served with nuoc cham dipping sauce

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446601963.740650.jpg

• Like 13

I've been on the cooking side-lines with work and a very aggravating back problem over the past months.  Tonight I made http://www.weareneverfull.com/how-sweet-it-is-casunzieicasumziei-beet-ravioli-with-brown-butter-and-poppy-seeds from pasta that I started over the weekend but aborted as time was running out.  I served fresh pasta with cod/salmon with a cream sauce by Hubert Keller as the main and Katharine Hepburn brownies for dessert that was pretty darn tasty.  

Tonight's casunziei:

nov3.jpg

nov2.jpg

The weekend app was Alon Shaya's roasted cauliflower with various cheeses:

nov1.jpg

And a few dishes from a few weeks ago:

oct1.jpg

The gang:

oct2.jpg

The main:

oct3.jpg

And the dessert: