• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thank you

Hi,

First many thanks for approving my membership.

I'm not a massive 'forum go-er' but I am passionate about understanding and cooking food.

In particular I appear to be drawn towards Indian cooking. Living in Winchester in the UK it's quite hard to connect with cultural diversity and so I find myself here in the hope that I can, perhaps, contribute in some way and improve my understanding and knowledge through people who know better than I.

Thanks again for having me, I look forward to many pleasant interactions.

Phill

• Like 2

Welcome aboard. This place is very much worth the time just for the knowledge available but you'll find out very quickly that there are some really nice people here as well. It's sometimes difficult to maintain that on-topic status the management prefers for the place. Once you start getting to know the people, you just automatically find yourself wanting to have normal conversations with them... even when the conversation drifts away from food. But the wealth of food knowledge and enthusiasm available is enough that it's still fun.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook put it very well.  Welcome to eGullet. 

DH (Dear Husband) and I also love Indian food and cook it together in our home.  Being Canadians in Ontario, we are lucky to have ingredient outlets in our area which make it easier than for many living in the USA where Indian food remains pretty much unknown.  That is slowly changing however. 

Looking to forward to reading about your favourite Indian dishes.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Welcome Phil.  I too love Indian food and am living in a place where one has to make one's own 'culturally diversified' food.  When asked where's a good place to eat Chinese food, my reply is "my place", ha, ha :laugh:  :laugh:   Same goes for Indian food.  Check out the Indian cooking thread over in the Regional Cuisine Forums.  We recently had a discussion about bhunooing which you will find very interesting and there is a link in there to another discussion about frying Indian spices:  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/152184-bhunooing/

Jump into the conversation!

• Like 1

Welcome indeed. 

Winchester's diversity and international flavor does seem limited to the school... In my year there I met very smart people from all over the world... but the food was still English school food, except when people were returning from holidays...  The rest of Winchester seemed very very English... but close enough to London to make all of its international flavors available pretty painlessly.

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Thank you for all of your comments, it's great to meet you all. I love the 'atmosphere' of this community - I have looked through others where members seem to really enjoy a bit of a fight! 

Okanagancook, your reference from Prashad was invaluable - very much appreciated :-)

CDH - small world huh?! Winchester is a teeny tiny city in a bit of a bubble.

Thanks again everyone :-)