• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American chef in Spain

Amchefspain

Hi all. My name is Richard Stephens and thought I would introduce myself as I am new to the forum.  I am a retired American chef and have been living in Spain since 1964.

For more than 30 years I owned and cooked in a successful upscale restaurant in Madrid. Now that I am retired, I have moved from Madrid to a very small village in the mountains in the province of Guadalajara about a 2 hour drive from Madrid.

So I now no longer work my restaurant but still love to cook.

I am self taught so I come from the authentic Trial and Error Cooking Academy. During my career I have developed what I think are some very good original dishes. And as I have learned so much from so many, I am more than willing to share anything I know with anyone else.

Feel free to contact me about anything. I love to schmooze!!

• Like 4

Richard Stephens

Majaelrayo, Spain

Welcome Richard!  I have already replied to your inquiry about making quark.  

I'm retired too, never a chef but have been a life-long cooking and baking enthusiast and have experimented quite a bit with cheesemaking of various types.

I still make my own butter, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, with the occasional side trip into the more "exotic" dairy foods such as paneer, and of course the quark.

I went to baking school in the mid-50s (Dunwoodie in Minneapolis) and worked in my mom's bakery for a while but then got sidetracked into being an x-ray tech - which paid better, much better...

I too am a trial and error cook/baker and have experimented quite a bit with modernizing some very old family recipes, mostly figuring out the rather sparse info on measurements, and cutting them down to size as some were for truly enormous families and today there is little need for a cake that beings with the instructions to "triple boult five pounds of white flour." 

I've been a member here since 2004 and have enjoyed every minute.  The folks here are friendly, helpful and there are NO trolls and spats are quickly stepped on.

I should add that I envy you in your location.  I absolutely adore Spanish cheeses, Idiazabal is one of my favorites.  And while I can't eat seafood because of an allergy, I love the paella that is made with rabbit and sausage - I live near a town settled by Basque people who specialize in that style of the dish.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Welcome to eGullet, Richard - where quite a number of us have also attended the Trial and Error Academy of Fine Cooking! It sounds as though you graduated with high honours. :)

I too look forward to hearing about your favorite foods and recipes if you care to share. I envy your location and the wonderful ingredients I am sure you have to work with there.

• Like 1

Welcome Richard!

I enjoy and learn from all of our members, most of whom are U.S. based, but I especially enjoy tales of cooking, culture, food markets and ingredients, and techniques from far away countries.

Oh brother, can I relate to the Trial and Error Cooking Academy!   :smile: I found myself stumbling around the kitchen cooking for a family of four at only nine years old after my first stepmother died. There wasn't a cookbook in the house, and if it wasn't for the kindly Italian lady across the street who mentored me, I really cannot imagine what I'd have done. I'm still making my share of errors because I like to experiment and go on cooking adventures, but with a lot of help over the years I keep having more and more successes. You will find lot's interesting, nice people who are passionate about food and willing to lend a hand to help out on your culinary journey.

I'm so glad to see you here, and I'm looking forward to hearing about what's going on in your culinary life in Spain. Please don't be a stranger. 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <