• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 10/21/2015 at 4:59 PM, Lisa Shock said:

In your sixth picture, the one depicting a banquet or restaurant with a pink floor, what are the white hats with flowers coming out of them?

They are silver hats as traditionally worn by Dong (and some other ethnic minorities, Miao, Yao) women. Today, most only wear them on festival days, but I do know a few people who wear them every day.

They are very heavy!

Here is a selfie of one young friend wearing one. (But her clothes are Miao style rather than Dong. Posted with her permission.)

8.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 21/10/2015 at 4:59 PM, Lisa Shock said:

In your sixth picture, the one depicting a banquet or restaurant with a pink floor, what are the white hats with flowers coming out of them?

They are silver hats as traditionally worn by Dong (and some other ethnic minority, Miao, Yao) women. Today, most only wear them on festival days, but I do know a few people who wear them every day.

They are very heavy!

Here is a selfie of one young friend wearing one. (But her clothes are Miao style rather than Dong. Posted with her permission.)

8.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

They are silver hats as traditionally worn by Dong (and some other ethnic minority, Miao, Yao) women. Today, most only wear them on festival days, but I do know a few people who wear them every day.

They are very heavy!

8.jpg