• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid eggs in Choux?

sourdoh

Does anyone have any experience using liquid eggs (like Reddi Eggs) in choux? I tried it in my choux recipe, which I've never otherwise had a problem with, and it did not work at all. I know that pasteurized liquid eggs have less emulsifying power, so I'm not sure if that was why it didn't work (didn't hold the butter in the paste). Does anyone have experience with this?

I was also looking for things that liquid eggs just don't work for, but of course the manufacturers aren't likely to make a list of applications where their product fails...

Professional Baker in Tucson, AZ

I think you'd have to adapt your recipe to suit your product- where I was working, they refused to use liquid eggs, so someone (often me) had to break around 800 eggs every week for the paste...

Maybe you're adding the eggs while the paste is too hot?

I think you'd have to adapt your recipe to suit your product- where I was working, they refused to use liquid eggs, so someone (often me) had to break around 800 eggs every week for the paste...

Maybe you're adding the eggs while the paste is too hot?

I'm making it exactly the same as when I make it with shell eggs, so it shouldn't be the heat.

I have used them, I usually use a little less by weight than shell eggs. It can take a bit of tinkering.

Is this just in general or for choux specifically?

Professional Baker in Tucson, AZ

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought those kind of products are usually just egg whites with some coloring.

Maybe the lack of the yolk ( the lecithin helps with the emulsification of the fats and water) is what is causing the problem.

Eta Just read Lisa's post, it seems she was able to make it work, hope you will figure it out as well :)

Edited by trisme11 (log)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought those kind of products are usually just egg whites with some coloring.

Maybe the lack of the yolk ( the lecithin helps with the emulsification of the fats and water) is what is causing the problem.

Eta Just read Lisa's post, it seems she was able to make it work, hope you will figure it out as well :)

Some are whole eggs, some are just whites.  If they say "no cholesterol" or "low fat", they have no yolks!  Without yolks, they won't work for choux.  If they're whole eggs, they're almost certainly pasturized, which may change how they cook.  (I've only used them for scrambed eggs, omlets, and in baked stuff, where they behave normally, but choux might be different.)