• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best halva in southeast Michigan?

All,

I will be visiting my father next month. He truly enjoys halva and I would like to bring him some. Given that we live in southeast Michigan, I figure there have to be some really good ones available here. Can you offer some suggestions? I know that he enjoys plain, chocolate, and pistachio halvas.

Thank you.

Its been awhile since I lived in down there, but, if I recall correctly- there is a place called Aladdin's Markey on Packard Road in Ann Arbor. 

Hashem's Nut and Coffee Gallery in Dearborn carries Halva as well.

Depending on where you live, either of those might be a good option. Best wishes in your search!

An

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

For handmade fresh halvah, different from the typical commercial product, check out Zingerman's.

According to an old thread on LTHForum, Morgan & York, also in A2, carries fresh halvah.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer