• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Say Nuts to Chopping Nuts. Anyone else?

Porthos

I enjoy doing knife work.  I do less cooking and more managing and veggies prep in my ren faire kitchens these days.  I enjoy keeping my knives sharpened.  What I don't enjoy is chopping nuts by hand.

I have tried my Cuisinart for chopping up nuts but getting anything remotely close to uniformly-sized pieces has never happened for me.  When I chop nuts by hand I make a mess because of all the nut bits that go shooting off of the cutting board.

So I don't chop nuts anymore. If I need chopped nuts for something I buy them already chopped. Anyone else out there who says nuts to chopping nuts?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Depends where I buy them.  One of my favorite whole food stores buys walnut pieces and walnut halves.  We've found bits of shell just too often in the pieces to buy them...so I buy the halves and chop.  ...but I don't like it...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I am forced to chop nuts I use a serrated knife (big cake knife) - prevents them from skipping off the board - or put them through a nut chopper like this.

• Like 2

Outside of Christmas cookies baking I don't use nuts much except for the brownies I bake for serving as part of dessert for ren faire feasts. My local market has an extensive bulk foods section and pecan pieces are one of the selections. So in the spring and in the fall I use those for the brownies with nuts.

I have always dreaded when my DW wants me to hand-chop nuts and she has decided it's easier for her to do it herself than deal with my grumbling.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When I am forced to chop nuts I use a serrated knife (big cake knife) - prevents them from skipping off the board - or put them through a nut chopper like this.

This is what I grew up with. We used lots of  chopped nuts in Austrian pastries. For big baking sessions we had a blade for the clamp -on  manual  meat grinder but that was for ground nuts. Some of my relatives use the back &  forth  dual handled curved knife (name escapes me) in  a bowl. More often recently for baklava, Linzer Torte and similar I use the gallon zip lock bag outside on concrete with a big rock or the meat mallet. Never ever occurred to us to chop on the board

muslin  bag I keep just for nuts  and a hard rubber mallet no problem no noise and no mess..I do not like to heat the nuts and my food processor does that when I try to chop them in there ..I can not even imagine the mess I would make trying to chop them with a knife 

I used to use one of those giant wooden mortar and pestle …very light weight ..I bought it in Panama but it was from Japan it was lost in a move and I never replaced it but that kind of thing chops nuts nicely and is so easy to just wipe out 

but they work well you can find them in Asian mkts they are great for nuts and pretty light weight and fun to use if you are into that kind of thing ..Love the momentum of using a mortar and pestle correctly. 

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I'm pretty much limited to using pecans, and I buy in bulk from the growers, but what I've found is people want the whole nuts which makes wholes more expensive. Me, I want irregular pieces and drops the price significantly. So I can't remember the last time I've chopped nuts. One of my regulars is a pecan farmer and he told them that there's an even lower grade which they don't publicly sell, but you can always buy by asking, and its the remnants which they sell to farmers as feed. Still food grade. Still shell free. But dirt cheap.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have several nut choppers but have been using this one for  a couple of years.

It fits on a wide-mouth pint or quart  Mason jar  so I don't have to watch closely to see how much I have chopped.

Like the others of similar design, it chops coarse when cranked in one direction and fine when cranked in the opposite direction.

More expensive than most others but it is in my opinion, easier to use.  The blades are quite sharp - use a brush to clean them, keep your fingers clear.  (I speak from experience!)

Not for use with macadamia nuts...

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I grew up with a nut chopper like that, and we liked the way it cut nuts to a nearly-uniform size.  At some point Mom gave it away in favor of a very large slap-chop-type chopper that made much shorter work of the nuts.  They were contained on the cutting board by the rim of the chopper; the plunger rotated with each push, so everything was chopped in short order.  It was neat and quick. I let it go when they downsized, but own an older version of this Zyliss chopper.  It disassembles easily for cleaning and does a nice job, although its capacity is smaller than you might need.  Because the blade rotates and hits some nuts more than once, the chopping isn't as uniform as in Kerry's linked chopper.  But it's quick!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I sometimes make cocktail-snacks by roasting almonds halves and I cut them by hand. It's not efficient but is sort of meditative - stand them on edge and try to hit the right point so they split along the natural part. The main purpose of the exercise is to slow down the snacking, though.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

They're not going to be any more uniform if I use a knife than if I use a processor. I'm not going to stand there and chop each individual nut into uniformly sized pieces. So I use the processor.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Last night I needed about a quarter cup of quartered cashews for bryani.  I broke the raw whole nuts up with my hands.  When I require sliced almonds (as I also did for the bryani) I buy sliced almonds.  There is a reason.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Recently when I needed a cup or so of chopped pecans I started thinking about shopping for a nut chopper.  I ordered the top-rated model http://www.amazon.com/PL8-Nut-Chopper-1405/dp/B00JLIKD1I/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1444826162&sr=1-3&keywords=nut+chopper from Amazon.  What a disappointment!  It didn't even come close to evenly chop, it reduced most to a powder.  Next time was in that situation I remembered the Slap Chop that I bought a few years ago.  It did the best job of anything and much easier than using a knife.

• Like 1

My chopper of choice, after trying and wearing out or breaking many in my long married life, is from Pampered Chef.  Yes, it is costly, but by heavens, it works and works well.  The nut pieces won't be of equal size - is there any chopper which does that? - but miss-sized nuts have never been a problem in our eating life.  DH and I are both avid nut fans and where others amazingly leave out the nuts called for in a recipe...I will always double the nuts to keep him happy.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   Nothing like a happy husband.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.