• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50 lbs of black walnuts

hummingbirdkiss

I know they are love/hate but I thought there was a topic and the only one I could find was really old and not much about baking with them it was under cooking..I honestly thought I had read a post where someone was talking about black walnuts ? 

I would love to make two things for sure and am asking please for some help? 

1. black walnut pie (like a pecan pie but I am not very good at making those seemingly simple pies at all) 

2. a frosted  black walnut layer cake ..

does anyone have a tried and true  recipes for either of these? 

I saw someone said in an ancient post about black walnuts "they are the cilantro of the nut world" that is so funny 

really I have seen folks just shiver at the thought of them! 

they are very good in ice cream and cake but i have only had small amounts at a tim.never had to open them they look complicated ..flavorwise …a little goes a long and no way did I ever expect to have this many to do things with! I am kind of excited  

my son is not a fan and said to "feed them to Bacon" 

oh HELL NO ..I am eating them before Bacon gets them he can have the acorns I get the black and English walnuts ! now how do I clean and open all these???? I was also gifted by my smart ass son 200lbs of apples that need dealing with NOW ..OY!!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 4
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

From Food Network here is a Tennessee Banana-Black Walnut Cake with Caramel Frosting that looks good, and for those who hate black walnuts, the banana should divert some attention away from the strong taste a bit.  Once in my workplace I had a very disturbed fellow worker come in after Christmas carrying an opened package of black walnuts.  "We ruined our dinner with these rancid, moldy nuts; the cake was a disaster."  I took a small taste and informed him, "That's the way they are supposed to taste."  As I assume you know, cracking them and picking out the nuts, while avoiding the inclusion of pieces of the shell, is a daunting job, not for the faint of heart.

• Like 2

Yum! Bananas and black walnut!

Thanks for that site i will linger there for sure ...they are expensive at the farmers mkt i can see why!

After dealing with 200 lbs of apples i am crippled

tomorrow i will start cleaning the nuts ..i have to gomrake acorns for Bacon and there is a walnut tree near by imjust heard needs gathering...

if there is a good movie and a hammer i can pick nuts ..but i would sit in the hammock and ignore thiamall

Except the pie and cake !

I have never tried a hickory nut and had hoped to i wonder how strong they are?

Thank you both i wish i had the knack of pecan pie i just screw them up so badly!

I bet eg has a pecan pie thread

Piglet 

I buy black walnuts shelled for good reason! I have several trees in my yard (which ruined my garden with their poison) and you couldn't pay me enough to shell their spoils. :( And just yesterday I was visiting a friend in central NC whose yard is so covered with those green balls that you can twist your ankle 10 times just walking a few yards. I think you need a very large sledge hammer, a strong arm and a lot of patience to pick out the teensy bits. Good luck with that endeavour, hummingbirdkiss!

They taste ok in my opinion, mind you, but I have really only bothered to eat them out of hand, not baked with them.

That said, last year I sent some (shelled) black walnuts to one member here who bakes quite a bit - maybe she will pipe up with what she made.

• Like 1

I have never tried a hickory nut and had hoped to i wonder how strong they are?

Hickory nuts are one of my favorites. They are similar in flavor to black walnuts, not as strong, and a little different. You need a Mack truck to crack them though :). With very little reward after. I used to sit and dig them out as a kid.

I've seen them online, shelled for $30/pound. If you've ever tried to shell them, you will know why. I really want some now :). Been a long time.

Edited by RWood (log)

I so want to try them ..RWood I am determined to try some  one of these days 

I just adore nuts of all kinds .

ok these are a bloody mess! I am doing them a bucket at a time I gave up thinking gloves would help my hands are a lovely dark brown now 21960157129_77e207bc52.jpg

I told my friend about the nuts and she said " I was just going to call you I found a tree on abandoned property come get them no one is picking them up" 

how can that be? I think I am a food hoarder..I have anxiety that food is just laying there on the ground with no one doing anything with it LOL! I am picking them up in the morning …

when I lived in Ok I would go out every day to the parks and pick up the pecans ..my friend had a cracker and she would run them through..I would watch Dr Who episodes on my VCR and pick nuts …I think it is meditative 

Piglet 

I was washing the nuts Deryn, right into the yard and it killed so many worms ! I was horrified and now I know I have to be really careful ..the chickens on the other hand were having a feast of all the dead worms ..I hope it doesnt kill them ! 

I wash walnuts all the time ..it never occurred to me these would be so poisonous to worms and plants…this should be round up instead of round up! 

the trees are huge I would never plant one ..but I will go pick the nuts up and clean them where I am trying to kill the bamboo 

I buy black walnuts shelled for good reason! I have several trees in my yard (which ruined my garden with their poison) and you couldn't pay me enough to shell their spoils. :( And just yesterday I was visiting a friend in central NC whose yard is so covered with those green balls that you can twist your ankle 10 times just walking a few yards. I think you need a very large sledge hammer, a strong arm and a lot of patience to pick out the teensy bits. Good luck with that endeavour, hummingbirdkiss!

They taste ok in my opinion, mind you, but I have really only bothered to eat them out of hand, not baked with them.

That said, last year I sent some (shelled) black walnuts to one member here who bakes quite a bit - maybe she will pipe up with what she made.

• Like 1

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

/22205909429_33e2d34bd2.jpgwhen I hit a quart I am DONE 

what about  a maple black walnut fudge? I  hate to waste ingredients but I get the same rush thinking about a maple black walnut fudge as  I get from pecan pralines. and really either one would be fantastic right now ..but I am afraid of wasting ..I am fudge proficient and praline proficient ..while the weather is good and I can go hike it off I better just try it the other half I will freeze for the holidays . Yes if you want to eat black walnuts go and buy them shelled at the farmers mkt ..i will be from now on ..glad I did it once but not again the pig gets the rest 

I have never even tried black maple walnut fudge but wow that sounds good  I will have to research this 

• Like 1

Piglet 

Honestly? Im an adventurous eater (except when it comes to goat products) but one of my top ten most favorite foods ever is the BLACK WALNUT LAYER CAKE from Shady Maple Farmers Market in East Earl, Pa....Its just a plain white cake with chopped black walnuts in it, plain white frosting dusted with more chopped black walnuts.

PERFECTION

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I'm usually nuts for nuts, but not the black walnut.

Lived in a house with a stand of black walnut trees (in Virginia).  I'm always a fan of free food.  But after several attempts to use them in various recipes, no one cared for them in our circle of family and friends.  

So I gave up on them; the squirrels were pleased with this decision.   

• Like 1

ok cake it is first ..I have to bake it at my son's house. that is why I was thinking of the fudge I can make it on the camp stove …

I can make both just what do I want to eat NOW ??? the reality is if you put both down in front of me I would eat both right now cake and fudge put one on top the other! 

I am on a seriously intense sugar journey right now and am trying to keep up physically with my poor nutritional intake but I am old and balance is not easy LOL! I have NEVER felt a pull to sweets like I have the past week or so ..is it the moon? Is there a maple sugar moon now because I could drink it from a cup if there was! 

I want it all cake, pie, fudge no protein no veggies … just desserts and really, really sweet ones! 

OY!!!! do I chase the demon or just hope he will back off on his own 

Piglet 

I get why people hate black walnuts ..it is the taste ! Wow I just got a giant mouthful and totally understand!  ..I made a simple butter cookie to take to a friend and ate one warm out of my son's oven ( kind of a pay back to be trashing HIS kitchen for a change LOL!) and WOW they taste like attic!!! that is the flavor they remind me of is that long walk up the stairs to an old east coat attic to find that single thing forgotten at Thanksgiving ..creepy musty scary attics …! in those 5 story homes were gramma lived on the lowest floor and generations lived above? those attics that is what a warm black walnut tastes like! if I only tasted that I would find this kind of nut rather harsh to eat! cooled they are fine to me the musty flavor is so nice cooled down and melded with a cookie or ice cream and hopefully cake.. but wow there is a musty flavor that can only be described to me as "attic"

Piglet 

I think your 'sugar journey', love that phrase, by the way, is a seasonal thing. Maybe the touch of cooler weather telling our bodies to fatten up for the winter. I have it too, just started the same time as yours, and I get it every year around this time. I want it all, and bake away for a few weeks till I can tame the cravings.

• Like 1

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman