• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nam Prik Pao

GlorifiedRice

I make this  (Nam Prik Pao)  I use smashed fermented shrimp in it and yes you could you can use dried rehydrated shrimp and a bit of fish sauce for sure ..anchovies are good in it ..there are no real rules  just get some fishy umami in there right? ,  chilies, shallots garlic and a sour like tamarind or now i am using sour grape paste I cooked down last month …sour plums are good in it .. …garlic ..honey or brown sugar …I think that is it? 

it is good with different peppers too but usually i use the thai bird ripe ones it just tastes best 

if maybe you post your recipe it would help see? really you can go with your taste in this it comes out different every time I make it 

hope this helps 

and would love to see your recipe 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet