• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

I can't stand most pumpkin pies - dense slabs of filling in soggy crusts - overly spiced and cloyingly sweet to the point that it overwhelms the taste buds and can even spoil the "flavor memory" of the rest of the meal.

The pumpkin custard pie recipe I got from my great aunt Maude (Maw-dee) uses less sugar, less spice and a lot more eggs

than the "normal" pumpkin pie (or squash or sweet potato pie) and is lighter, not quite as fluffy as a pumpkin chiffon, but not at all dense.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie - what does sound much improved over the standard - is there anything special done with the eggs to get the lightened texture?

• Like 1

We were 12 for dinner - so I was glad I'd brought 3 desserts - 

IMG_1299.jpg

Dismembering the turkey.

IMG_1301.jpg

Gravy under construction.

IMG_1304.jpg

Notice any brussels sprouts on this plate? Nope you don't! I did actually eat two. So two kinds of mashed potatoes, strawberry spinach salad, cranberry sauce and of course turkey. Oh yeah - stuffing with olives in it!

The Ideas in Food pumpkin pie was a hit - no one seemed to notice the missing spices. The apple pie/tart was popular as well - but by far the favourite was the Torta Caprese. And of course the cream siphon was fun for everyone to play with!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

Andie - what does sound much improved over the standard - is there anything special done with the eggs to get the lightened texture?

A couple of the whites are separated, beaten to soft peaks and folded into the mixture but not as much as in a chiffon.

It's on my blog  HERE.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Stuffing with olives! Sounds like my kind of group. What kind of olives, and what was the stuffing base?

What, if anything, did folks make of the foodblogging idea?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

""  So two kinds of mashed potatoes,  ""

both white ?  no SweetPotatoes ?

Both white - one had a whole lot of garlic and cream cheese, the other 'traditional' white mash. Both went perfectly with the gravy!

No sweet potatoes - didn't miss them myself. I enjoy a nice baked sweet potato - but it's overkill at Thanksgiving with all the other carbs on the plate. 

Stuffing with olives! Sounds like my kind of group. What kind of olives, and what was the stuffing base?

What, if anything, did folks make of the foodblogging idea?

Green olives in a bread stuffing - the giblets and liver were in there as well. The one vegetarian in the group brought along her own stuffing that looked quite satisfactory. 

I was not the only one taking pictures of my food! But most of them know already about my foodie forum and foodie friends.

• Like 4

Looks good. I'm glad the pie was tasty, I baked mine yesterday so they were going to be dessert whether they were good or not. I'm a big fan of stuffing, I probably like it more than I like turkey, and I'm not going to knock putting olives in it because I haven't tried it but it doesn't sound too appealing to me. I'd try it if it was on the table though. I like olives, I'm just not generally a fan of stuffing being mucked around with too much.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Today was the day to siphon off the Chinese Rice wine that has been fermenting for a month. At least I thought it was fermenting - it smelled alcoholic, nice and fruity. 

IMG_1324.jpg

Poured off a bit and filtered it.

IMG_1317.jpg

Fluoresces in the sun!

IMG_1318.jpg

Got probably 2 litres with a specific gravity of 1.130 - strangely not a drop of alcohol, zero, zilch! So I've taken the two litres of nice sweet fruity rice juice and added a sachet of wine yeast. Shall see what develops. 

IMG_1323.jpg

Fast aging a bit of apple brandy with a couple of Jack Daniels chips and the microwave. 

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Had some people over - she works for the LCBO but it's been in a variety of smaller towns so welcomed the opportunity to taste a few things she was unfamiliar with but I had in my collection! She particularly liked the St George Absinthe - not a big fan of the amari.

• Like 5

IMG_1326.jpg

Ran to the grocery store to see if I could find a chunk of beef fat to make some drippings. "A chunk, how about a bag?" said the butcher. 

So right now a few pieces are roasting in the oven - to give up their fat for yorkshire pud.

• Like 9

The beauty of steak on the bbq is that even when not cooked exactly how you want it, it's still pretty damn good. Nice Yorkie too!

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've been on the road for the better part of a week so I am just catching up. As usual I have timed my trip badly so I miss Canadian Thanksgiving (for the 3rd or 4th year in a row I think.) I am turkey deprived. Thanks for all the turkey talk and pictures though - my mouth is watering and I am jealous!

• Like 1

Can't help it. I love holiday gatherings with gigantic meals. Especially if I'm cooking.

But I loathe pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Pie, Flan. Creme Brullie (sp), no, no, no. I do not care for custards at all. You may have my slice of Boston Cream Pie ...

You want a berry or cherry pie, I"ll do it. You want plum pudding at Christmas - I'll borrow the mold from my FIL and m ake it;  and I have a specific small heating vessel and spoon just to flame it. But, please, no custards.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

IMG_1337.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the brownies that were requested for this am by the ER nurses. But they look just like the last ones!

Today I'm enjoying cauliflower steak on pureed cauliflower. Good that I'm sleeping alone. 

• Like 11